jayach05

Heli?

I cant figure out why the hell anyone would want to do that on a velo unless it was r and d. and why still furthermore you would want to replicate it for fun.

and judging by the lack of a 3rd setup for a test wing, and that being a velo out of his main tray from a normal high pull im assuming that was just for the hell of crazy piloting.

any canopy will stall from normal flight given enough input, great to practice up high but not to that extreme in my mind unless for r and d with the necessary safety precautions taken. Doing that to that extreme on a highly loaded wing is likely to result in a cutaway as it did. Its great to know where your canopy's stall points but you dont need to get crazy to find it.

It is interesting to see what the velo can recover from however.

jjudd

I cant figure out why the hell anyone would want to do that on a velo unless it was r and d. and why still furthermore you would want to replicate it for fun.

and judging by the lack of a 3rd setup for a test wing, and that being a velo out of his main tray from a normal high pull im assuming that was just for the hell of crazy piloting.

any canopy will stall from normal flight given enough input, great to practice up high but not to that extreme in my mind unless for r and d with the necessary safety precautions taken. Doing that to that extreme on a highly loaded wing is likely to result in a cutaway as it did. Its great to know where your canopy's stall points but you dont need to get crazy to find it.

It is interesting to see what the velo can recover from however.

everyone should know how to stall their canopy and recover... with risers and toggles!!!!

first thing people do is panic and release EVERYTHING.... big mistake, slow and controlled is the key!!!

if you have never stalled your canopy you dont really know how it flies under EVERY condition
*IF AT FIRST YOU DONT SUCCEED... SKYDIVING IS NOT FOR YOU!!!*

Mate, just to let you know jjudd is a competitive canopy pilot. I am pretty sure he knows the ins and outs of how his wing flies pretty intimately!

The thing that surprises me is that this guy is doing something that he would have to know is increasing his chances of a chop and yet he still loosens the chest-strap beforehand. With no RSL.

That's a poor choice in my opinion.
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

A good friend of mine saw the paragliding pilots doing helis and wanted to try it on his Velo. He did a few hop-n-pops and g ave it a try. He had a few times where the helis started, and was able to keep it more above his head, but flying backwards (as opposed to going to the horizon in more of a sat).

I don't think he ever got more than a revolution or two, and they still looked pretty....um... abrupt/crazy compared to paragliding wings.

He tried it for a few jumps and decided it was best left to acro wings.

Not something I would try, but I can't knock guys for trying out new things or pushing the limits a bit. I'll see if i can find his videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7u5w5ihIps8

Edit to add URL

Zlew

A good friend of mine saw the paragliding pilots doing helis and wanted to try it on his Velo. He did a few hop-n-pops and g ave it a try. He had a few times where the helis started, and was able to keep it more above his head, but flying backwards (as opposed to going to the horizon in more of a sat).

I don't think he ever got more than a revolution or two, and they still looked pretty....um... abrupt/crazy compared to paragliding wings.

He tried it for a few jumps and decided it was best left to acro wings.

Not something I would try, but I can't knock guys for trying out new things or pushing the limits a bit. I'll see if i can find his videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7u5w5ihIps8

Edit to add URL

He is in a sat for most of those attempts and then spins in the last clip. Can see the boomerang shape that is a sign a spin is coming. Much easier ways of starting them the way he was doing it

I sat and do variations of helis on my xaos 90. Definitely wouldnt advise anyone to try it. Excellent way to end up in line twists and chop.

AdD

I went through a phase of doing them on every fun jump... no chops.. all about the smooth recovery

everyone should know how to fuck with their canopy and recover....
*IF AT FIRST YOU DONT SUCCEED... SKYDIVING IS NOT FOR YOU!!!*

Paraglider pilots do a better job of teaching and practcicing stall recovery than we do in the skydiving world.
Life is ez
On the dz
Every jumper's dream
3 rigs and an airstream

AdD

Paraglider pilots do a better job of teaching and practcicing stall recovery than we do in the skydiving world.

Paraglider pilots can't switch chutes quite as easy as we can (they don't cutaway a malfunction), so it's understandable.

cube

Paraglider pilots can't switch chutes quite as easy as we can (they don't cutaway a malfunction), so it's understandable.

Actually there is a new system out there for paragliding where they can cutaway and a base canopy will open above their head.

Learning stall recovery is a great tool. Not gonna cutaway at 300 feet if you have end up in a stall from turbulence or if you get a collapse. A lot of people would be suprised how much better of a canopy pilot they would be if they spent some time paragliding

everyone should know how to stall their canopy and recover... with risers and toggles!!!!

first thing people do is panic and release EVERYTHING.... big mistake, slow and controlled is the key!!!

if you have never stalled your canopy you dont really know how it flies under EVERY condition

I never said no one should stall their canopy and not learn how to recover from it. Its an important part of flying your wing regardless if its a sabre or peregrine, as was noted.

I practice it on all my wings and I have hit that point unintentionally on set up for landing giving it just a tad too much in deep brakes before initiation of my turn. Knowing how to salvage it has saved me from a low cutaway or worse.

That said, that first video is taking it to a whole new extreme, remarkably cool but like I said likely to have a non needed cutaway. I don't go stall my wing every single jump just because I can. Its a respect for knowing what it can do and how to recover from it, furthermore knowing how not to put it there while getting the most from your wing is even harder. Give me a test wing on a 3rd attachment point and lets have some fun up high by all means