EFS4LIFE

Upsized

So I was a complete dumbass.

I made the jump from my Samurai 136 which I had 300+ jumps on and was swooping nicely at a 1.54WL to a Velo 103 at a 2.03 WL.

In my infinite wisdom I decided a 120 would be a waste of time and figured a 111 would be under a 2.0WL and a waste of crossbracing, so I sprung for the 103.

I was lucky enough on my 8 or 9 jumps on the Velo that I didn't hurt myself or worse. I flew and landed it each time in near perfect conditions.

Then I woke the fuck up. (Thankfully)

Reality set in and even my stubborn ass knew I was in over my head. I didn't like using every bit of concentration and skill I possess just to land the damn thing conservatively straight in. I was not "learning" a damn thing on it. I was asking for it, and I knew it. No one came and "talked" to me. No one forced, or even influenced my decision but me. I guess I am growing up a little.

I would like to thank Craig Bey, a complete stranger, for immediately shipping me out his Samurai 120. He has earned a ton of good karma, and respect from me.

The only good decision I made was to wise up before it was too late and reach out for the canopy I should have transitioned to in the first place.

Only a couple of jumps on the 120 but I am in love. Comfortable enough to swoop on it, but fast enough to keep me excited.

I guess the purpose of the thread is to maybe reach some other dumbass and let him know to wake the fuck up and make a good decision, before it is too late. Be honest with yourself. It is harder than it seems. Ego can be a bitch.
I am an asshole, but I am honest

Just did the same thing :D went from a 111pilot with 20lb of lead to a 99vx to a 91sensei (@ 2.0:1) crossbraced in the space of a week. At the time I knew it was stupid but was told I'd be fine and did about 50 jumps on it. Then I worked a small back drop zone over the winter where I couldn't jump the 91, came back to where I worked last summer and decided I need to upsize and go back a few steps and slow everything down to learn more :D ..so on the flipside the is a canopy for sale :P

Yeah, and I'll add this "dude" is my S&TA, fellow jumper, and personally can vouch he has done much for the country, and where we live.

His "pair" wouldn't even fit in dumbo's shorts pal.

B|

I was wondering why he was our S&TA, haven't jumped at my new dz for long and not knowing how they are chosen.

This, and many other things i've witnessed, has proven that to be the right choice for all of us.

Jack

He did. It takes a great big pair to admit you were wro....wron...well to admit you weren't right!

Upsizing, in my opinion, is a real 'power move', in that it shows real judgment. Everyone around is downsizing, and it's tough to find a guy who is not jumping 2.0+ who's planning a new canopy is planning to go bigger. To have the presence of mind and strength of character to go the other way is a big step.

I upsized a few years back from a 90 to a 103 (both Velos). The 90 was fun, but it just wasn't getting it done for tandem videos with long spots. I was actually looking for a 96 when this 103 came up for sale with low jumps, a good price, and a super cool seller who was easy to work with, so I pulled the trigger.

Turned out to be a great choice that I've been happy with for 1000+ jumps. After I switched, I realized that it was the first time in 15 years that I upsized, and wasn't just blindly pushing for smaller, faster, meaner canopies.

Snapping out of the herd mentality and going the other way, in this case, is proof positive that the guy is using his melon. I'm not suggesting that everyone who downsizes isn't using their melon, but I would guess that a large percentage of them are probably ahead of where they should be and are just pushing forward based on testosterone, desire, and peer pressure, with solid rational thought taking a back seat. You can't the same thing about a guy who upsizes and switches to a more conservative planform.