f94sbu

How to build the perfect zone acc course?

Hi!
Skydive Stockholm is in the final stages of finalizing our swoop pond and I'd like to know how other DZ's have constructed their zone acc course. What is the depth of the gravel that you used and what kind of gravel did you use? We are probably going for a little higher quality gravel so I dont want to make gravel too deep unless I have to.

Cheers!
/Stefan

Based on studies I cannot quote (G. Windmiller did the research) the maximum force dissipation comes with pea-gravel depths of 18". Deeper gravel does not increase benefit. That being said, 12" of depth is good for most of the pit. 18" is beneficial for Zones 5-7 where the bigger vertical impacts take place. Ensure that the end of the pit is a gradual slope as most people that hit there have considerable fwd speed. No gravel is needed in neutral zone (currently water's edge + 6meters).

Use pea-gravel as opposed to crushed rock.

For zone markers the best one I have seen is in Klatovy which uses a combination of bungee and break-away zone markers.

moonjumpster

I would agree with the above...except, if your'e making a pond, put the pea-gravel from the waters edge.... the swoopers will thank you for it! (as in the Dubai pond)

Will do (except for the part closest to the liner what I need to keep there to keep the liner securely attached in the ground.) I love the idea of using a variable depth as that will save on cost significantly.