Mgl

Heatwave vs Hurricane

Hi

SkydiveMonkey is right. The Hurricane is 9 cell full elliptical high performance canopy from Chute Shop in SA. The first Hurricane came out in 2001 whilst the Heatwave has been around for a few years more. There are many people who say that the Heatwave and the Hurricane are like the Stilletto and more people will tell you that the Hornet is like a Sabre 2. This could not be further from the truth. All these canopies are wings in their own right with very different behavioral characteristics. I have jumped the Heatwave before I have changed over to the Hurricane. One reason was that the Hurricane was simply a newer design. The Heatwave will have the same tendancy as the Stilletto to spin up if you are not square in the harness. The Hurricane seems to be less prone to this. I had a few line twist openings, one brake fire and so far they have manage to clear themselves with no problem. Out of all three the canopies the Hurricane in my opinion has a superior bottom-end flare and will stay in the dive longer. The Heatwave is very sensitive with a tendency to oversteer. The Hurricane is more precise. Price of the Hurricane is a little more expensive and both canopies are made from the same ZP material, that is the South African ZP material. You will have to wait for your Heatwave for 4 weeks whilst the the Hurricane will take 12 weeks to get to your door. Contact [email protected] for a good deal.

I hope this helps.

Cheers
" You have never lived until you've almost died, and for those who has experienced it, life has a flavour the protected would never understand"

Hi there,

I've done about 150 jumps on the heatwave 120 and 350+ on the Hurricane. I've bought full sets of gear from both companies.

Openings - Heatwave, in my experience, is much softer on opening. People @ chute shop told me this should not be the case, but my hurricane has always been a little too brisk for my liking.

Line twists - Chopped the heatwave once cause of the twisties, but haven't had any issue with the hurricane @ all.

Turns - The Hurricane is more sluggish than the Heatwave. To this day I have never flown a canopy of equal size that turned as fast (and boy was it fun) than the heatwave.

Recovery arc + swooping - Personally I found the Hurricane a much better canopy for swooping, loaded nicely it has great dive arc, much longer than that of my heatwave, and good flaring power.

I found the heatwave had an annoying "pop" at the end of a hook - much like the stilletto's I've flown.

Customer Service - Here is why Chute shop will never be a major competitor in the international market (IMHO). The service downright sucks, it's impossible to get anything out the door when promised and often times you need to continuously call and nag.

PISA (heatwave) - have been nothing short of spectacular in their service. I've owned not only the heatwave, but a tempo as well. I've found their responses to be prompt and professional.

Summary - I prefer the Hurricane, but can't stand dealing with chute shop. If you don't think this is an issue, don't mind faster openings, and want great swoops I'd go with that canopy. If you're looking for a fun canopy to fly and still get decent surfs out of, plus you don't want the headache of poor customer service - I'd go with the Heatwave.

Hope this helps.
Blue skies.
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

I could not agree more. Thanks Ian I think it is a great description of the canopies. And Chute Shop service really sucks big time.

Cheers
" You have never lived until you've almost died, and for those who has experienced it, life has a flavour the protected would never understand"

I have both' a 120 heatwave and a 135 hurricane, my 135, in my opinion, is a very nice canopy, opennings have been sweet, on heading and soft, response is great with toggle and front riser preasure nice. What really surprised me was one day in a crunch, doing back to back Affs I borrowed a buddies rig with a 120 stilleto. My 135 was easier to fly, also a little faster and did have a much better flare. My Heatwave is faster, more sensitive. Openings are more critical, body position is a must or it will take off in a diving turn and stay until corrected. Landing are ok but not as much bottom end. I can carve my hurricane a lot on landing but not the heatwave. I like them both, the 120 for speed and zippyness and the 135 for what I can do on landings. I load the heatwave about 1.6
CB
Don't look for why it might work....look for why it might not.

Just out of interest. How do you pack your Hurricane. I had a few off-heading openings and would like to correct it if possible.

Cheers

Tallies

Thanks very much for yours replies. I have already test Hurricane. IMHO it rather good. But for me Heatwave has more soft opennings and more fast reaction. May be swoop better with Hurricane (I have only 2 jumps with it, & wind was very strong, 12 m/s may be more... so i can't feel it) So for me I decide to purchase Heatwave. But I see that Hurricane good choice too. :)

Swoop fast, live long

I agree - Chute Shop After Sales is NON EXISTENT !
Pisa on the other hand are Great, 3 weeks to get my canopy, Chute shop promised me 10 weeks, Well I ended up waiting 5 months !

Cheers
DZD

"The probability of survival is equal to the angle of arrival." - safe swoops -

MY DZ