Canuckflyr

40 lb Weight Belt

I'm a little on the light side, only 162lbs out the door. I've weighed this much since I was 16 and it doesn't look like my metabolism is going to slow down any time soon. To obtain a good wing loading I currently wear a 24lb and a 10lb belt stacked one above the other. This isn't very comfortable but it works. Does anyone know where I could get a comfortable belt that will hold up to 40lbs?

I'm a little on the light side, only 162lbs out the door. I've weighed this much since I was 16 and it doesn't look like my metabolism is going to slow down any time soon. To obtain a good wing loading I currently wear a 24lb and a 10lb belt stacked one above the other. This isn't very comfortable but it works. Does anyone know where I could get a comfortable belt that will hold up to 40lbs?

You weight 162lbs and have to use weight?
what's a "good" WL?

I'm 130lbs, don't use weight, fly mantis style to keep up with groups, and fly a .9 WL.

However, since i've been getting flack for not address any OP's questions, my 2 cents would be to check with Square 1 or ChutingStar...those are good places to start.

*shakes head* 162 lbs :S

I'm pretty sure the OP is asking for swoop specific reasons.

I believe Scott Roberts used to make some nice padded swoop weight belts that would hold up to 35 pounds (max allowable anyway).

Ian

I'm not, Pablito makes them (I think he still does).
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

When I used to compete I used a vest that I bought from a sports website. The vest is used for working out, mine could hold up to like 35 lbs and it was very comfortable because it distributed the weight evenly around my torso.

I don't skydive anymore, if you are interested in it just drop me a pm.

When I used to compete I used a vest that I bought from a sports website. The vest is used for working out, mine could hold up to like 35 lbs and it was very comfortable because it distributed the weight evenly around my torso.

I don't skydive anymore, if you are interested in it just drop me a pm.

Get back in the sport bro! The skys the limit!

I'm 147 without all my gear and only have a couple hundred jumps on comp velos. Not willing to put myself under anything smaller than an 84 just yet

Gotta ask, how do you see a difference between jumping a bigger canopy with 40lbs of lead on, and a smaller canopy with no/less lead?

You realize that you stand a better chance of avoiding injury if you are not hauling around 40lbs of lead, whcih is greater than 1/4 of your body weight, right?

Have you considered the idea of running, sliding, tumbling, or impacting anything while wearing 40lbs of lead?

I get that some jumpers feel that a larger canopy with lead is better for certain events, and that a smaller canopy with no lead is better for others, but those jumpers are willing to jump the smaller wing with no lead. For a jumper who feels that they are not ready for the smaller wing, jumping the bigger one with an excessive (yes, it is) amount of lead seems like a very poor choice.

Occasionally I'll wear a belt and a vest. Spreads the weight around

Based on your profile, I'm guessing you weight about 155-160lbs. Are you saying you wear 40+ pounds of lead and then swoop a sub-100 sq ft canopy?

That's what the OP is talking about. Better than 25% of his body weight in lead, and then swooping a small, HP canopy.

If you have to weight-up to be in the base of a 100 way, and your WL remains below 2.0 and you do the standard, big-way straight-in landing, I see no problem with that.

What the OP is suggesting is another story, especially when he admits that he doesn't want to be on anything smaller than an 84, but he wants to load up a canopy as if it was smaller than an 84. I don't see the logic or wisdom in that.

Occasionally I'll wear a belt and a vest. Spreads the weight around

Based on your profile, I'm guessing you weight about 155-160lbs. Are you saying you wear 40+ pounds of lead and then swoop a sub-100 sq ft canopy?

That's what the OP is talking about. Better than 25% of his body weight in lead, and then swooping a small, HP canopy.

If you have to weight-up to be in the base of a 100 way, and your WL remains below 2.0 and you do the standard, big-way straight-in landing, I see no problem with that.

What the OP is suggesting is another story, especially when he admits that he doesn't want to be on anything smaller than an 84, but he wants to load up a canopy as if it was smaller than an 84. I don't see the logic or wisdom in that.

Sorry for the misunderstanding....

I was only suggesting a better way to jump with 40 pounds and spread the weight. I DON'T SWOOP and only use the weight for relative work. The most I've actually used is a little more than 30 and mixed it between the belt and vest.

He was only asking how, not if I recommended it. To me a vest and belt seem a better option.
Dano

I sure hope you don't intend to swoop any pond that is deeper than you can stand up in unless you have a reliable quick release system for the weight belt.

jon

That's the main reason I didn't allow weight vests in Texas Swoopers when I ran it. Even with people there to save you, not being able to dump the weight can make a difference.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

My goal is to work down to the smaller canopies wearing the extra weight (35lbs not 40lbs as I stated in the initial post). More weight for speed and distance for obvious reasons (I hope) and less for zone acc. I jumped my 84 Velo and worked up to this amount until I was comfortable and moved to a 90 Comp Velo working up to the same amount. I know have an 84 comp velo and the plan is to work up to that amount again. I have tumbled, slid and ran using this amount of lead, I didn't just one day decide to throw on all this lead and start swooping. I feel my progression has been quite calculated and thought through.

I remember when Luigi Cani used to wear 50 pounds of lead in competition under an 80-ish square foot VX. Barefooted.... I can't remember if that was Panama City 2003 or Wildwood 2004. He wore a vest with one-inch tubular nylon weight pouches sewn across the entire front and back as well as a weight belt. I thought he was out of his freakin mind. Running out landings with that much lead on, barefooted, made for quite the show.

I saw him wearing the same kind of setup at the World Cup in Lake Wales in 2005 I think it was. He wasn't able to run out the landing and all the weight knocked the wind out of him. I guess it's a good thing that there are now limits in place for additonal weight worn.