niwotskydiver

using old faithful or getting a new crispy wing for comp?

looking to start competing this year go me.

my question is this. do I go out and get bran new crispy wings and start training as much as I can to get to know the girls before comps. or OR do I stay with the girls I love and know every inch and twitch?also have 1000 plus jumps on them in the last year.

I will add this I feel like I can fly the wings I am on to there 100%

to me that is hitting gates safely and consistently and going more then 90m in a dist. run consistently;-)

so what should I do?? what would you do?
i know what I am going to do but I would value what my peers have to say about it.

thanks

Solid scoring every round will get you just as high up the leaderboards as having all awesome runs and a fat goose egg.

Doesn't matter if you swoop 1000ft if you vert the gates.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Here's what I don't get, what's wrong with or different with old faithful than a new wing?

If you're doing competition level swooping, I hope you're keeping your wing maintained with fresh lines and regular inspections (and not igonoring any problems). If you are, the new and old wings should perform the same.

Save your new wing money for more training jumps, or better yet, coached training jumps.

very well kept and packed inside by a rigger 99% of the time and she is DAM good at what she dose.

I use vectran no hma lines yet or really feel i need it.
like everybody is saying putting points up is how you win

as for coaching i am very lucky that my peers at work are VERY VERY good they have been working with me for the past 20 months watching almost every single run and laying down some schooling and some very awesome story's about the first swoop comps around

best coaching ever can be bought with beer:P

If your stuff is in good shape, then there's no need to spring for new canopies just to compete. For the record, Vectran and the 500 HMA both need to be inspected and changed on a regular basis, of course it's just less regular than the 300 series stuff.

best coaching ever can be bought with beer

That's not really true. The best free coaching at your home DZ can be bought with beer. That's where someone who knows you and wants to do you a favor will help you out and coach you for free. They would do it with or without the beer, the beer is just there because you're not a shithead.

I would be so bold to say that you could get better, more specific coaching if you hired one of the current top 5 swoopers for some one-on-one time. As good as the people at your DZ might be, unless they're currently top 5, they don't know as much about swooping or competing in the current environment than the top 5 as it sits right now. Rules and techniques are constantly evolving, so current participation and suceess would good signs of how much someone can help you.

That said, no disrespect to whoever has been helping you up to this point. If you feel like your skills are sound, then spend your canopy money on a Holiday Inn Express at all of your comps you travel to. I stayed in one last summer that really impressed me with how nice it was for the money.