cedricveigarios

Wing load and type of canopy for competition

Someone correct me if i'm wrong.
It depends on the event. Power events like speed or distance the top guys are now on Petra's or Peregrine's loading up to around 3! Zone acc they are on VC's and JVX loaded lower so they can stop them, probably around 2.2 +

Look at Dubai last year though, Curt won with a VC whilst some had the PD "Prototype" which evolved into the Peregrine.
The wing and loading that works is the wing and loading that the pilot can get consistently on the gates safely like Ian said. The right combination of Pilot, Wing and Loading is the wining formula, that and an element of luck, a bad day or an unfortunate wind can spoil any pilots competition.

There's no point having the fastest wing if you can't score with it!

Someone correct me if i'm wrong.
It depends on the event. Power events like speed or distance the top guys are now on Petra's or Peregrine's loading up to around 3! Zone acc they are on VC's and JVX loaded lower so they can stop them, probably around 2.2 +

Some of those guys stay on the same wing and wingloading for ZA due to being highly proficient and dialed in that day with that wing, wingloading and conditions.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I think you're right that Curt was on a VC previously, but he used a Peregrine in Dubai

copied from the PD page on the Peregrine ...
"In the Peregrine’s first world debut at the 2012 World Championships of Canopy Piloting, PD Pilots dominated the field with this new wing, winning five of six medals in the speed and distance events.

The Peregrine filled me with the confidence to compete at the level I needed at the World Meet. The fastest, most responsive canopy I’ve ever flown It’s a whole new machine compared to a comp velocity. It’s a fucking sweet parachute. Its an intense wing, geared toward the top tier swoopers.

Curt Bartholomew-2012 World Champion of Canopy Piloting"

www.performancedesigns.com/peregrine.asp

Whichever size and loading you can hit the gates most safely and consistently with.

Ian

Well said. In comps at entry level of competing your last thought should be wing loading and size. Fly what you are use to. Do what you do back home in comp.
Iv done a few comps my loading at last one was a 2.2 on a 90 velo with 12 pounds on. I placed 3rd overall and 1st in am class. Competing to me is not getting a 0. score every run. The score card will not show your wing loading or the size canopy you fly. :) In second speed round Greg set speed record loading some crazy 3+ wing loading in FLA and I was forth in that round in speed. Just fly what you know. It will get you the results you need. Just my option. Again im new to competing so my options will change as I go but what im saying is a good start.
Edit to add: With higher loading you have less room for error. All inputs kill your speed. Its great if you are on all the time. There are very few that are. A lighter loading you can make those corrections without killing all your speed. I jumped the 12 pounds on all rounds just changed set up to the course depending what was going on (dist,accu,or speed)
Good luck
Never give the gates up and always trust your rears!

I was just wondering what type of wingload and canopies and so on I could see on comp as I will start comp this season.

Ok, cheers for all the answers ;)

Be safe but not too safe ;)

There are guys loading less then 2. I would say just stick with what you got. Its enough stress going on to be worried about a new canopy too.
Never give the gates up and always trust your rears!