ianmdrennan

peregrine video

DocPop probably isn't wearing a tin foil hat and he posted information in this thread specifically regarding the Peregrine canopy.

Do you have any fresh insights into the evolution and design of this canopy or how it flies?

Considering how long the Velocity has been at the front of the PD product line for high performance canopies, this new wing is rather special. It appears to be a very different canopy and it has captured the interest of many pilots. We may not earn a chance to fly it, but we're still very curious.

In sport skydiving there is a "potential" huge demand for high-end products (peregrine and petra are high-end) but within that "potential" market there are only *few* ready to be consumers for high-end products. The others are wannabe. Given the level of skills demanded by the high-end and the severity of the consequences when that demand is not meet, making the high-end open to the entire "potential" market is un-wise. Injuries, death will create law-suits and will affect PD image/brand.

In military skydiving there's no market for high-end.

In other words the high-end market it's very very small. I don't know what would it be their break even point for the investment but they will not reach it.

PD doesn't make money with their new high-end product. Their drive for peregrine could be passion, ego or something else.

If it's passion or ego they wouldn't copy the other business competitors.

But I do understand what you mean.
Lock, Dock and Two Smoking Barrelrolls!

Their drive for peregrine could be passion, ego or something else.

Something else? It's pretty clear really. It's a great marketing too for all the wannabe swoopers to have Team PD win the meets with the top of the line Perigrine, or Scalpel, or whatever their new ones will be.

And that makes perfect sense to me. :)
Remster

In other words the high-end market it's very very small. I don't know what would it be their break even point for the investment but they will not reach it.

PD doesn't make money with their new high-end product. Their drive for peregrine could be passion, ego or something else.

I can remember the first time i ever saw 'real' swooping.
It was a video of the Empuriabrava Kings of Swoop 2006.
I was pretty new to skydiving and watching Jay and Jonathon fighting for first place was inspirational, I decided straight away that I would dedicate the rest of my skydiving to learning the discipline of canopy piloting in the hopes of one day being able to compete in a competition like that.

Jay and Johnathon were flying the PD velocity at the time, so naturally, I decided that I would follow suit with progression through the PD product range, like many others did.

My first new canopy as a result was a PD sabre 2, I also went on to purchase 1 katana, 1 velocity and 2 comp velos from new, also bought perhaps 3 second hand sabre 2s, 1 katana and another standard velo during progressive down sizes. When I started wing suiting I bought a PD spectre 120.
edited to add 2 PD reserves and 1 PD optimum reserve.

You are right, PD will not make any money selling the Perigrine to the skydiving public, thats not the point.

They do however, need to ensure that the guys on the podium are flying PD canopies, selecting who can fly the most advantageous wing will help in doing this.

PD make great products, have great customer service and the factory team have driven the standard in Canopy Piloting to where it currently is.

They are however, a business. Not a charitable foundation set up so save skydivers from themselves as some people seem to think.

There was no rush of 'wanna be' pilots going in when the comp velo was released, the only people who I ever saw fly then were competitive canopy pilots.

I guess PD have a better strategy this time round.

I totally agree with you guys.

From where I'm standing I'm thinking that if one of the brands focus on mass transition of the wannabe to high end consumers, in the long run they could win the brand war and make more money from high-end.

In other words reduce the education cost (compared with what's currently available) to increase the high-end market and then increase the high-end price :)
I would love to be a part of a project like that.

Lock, Dock and Two Smoking Barrelrolls!

Well that sounds quite different to impression I got reading this
http://www.performancedesigns.com/peregrine_info.asp

Wow! PD sounds a little full of themselves here. They should just say we made a new canopy for our team so they can kick more ass.

I dont know what the rules are with what canopy you can use in comps. Im thinking that its for sale for that reason but they pick who to sell too. I dont have a problem with that at all. I mean one of reasons to get on a team is to have more of a edge right? (support,gear ect)

I love my velo and thinking of stepping up to a comp.

As far as copying, of course companies copy products. It happens in every market. Why should PD be any different. They are just keeping up with times. Looks like they are doing a good job of it too.
Never give the gates up and always trust your rears!

They should just say we made a new canopy for our team so they can kick more ass.

Nonsense. If that were true it wouldn't be available outside of the Factory Team.

And I just ordered two 55's yesterday so we know that isn't true.

Are you going to sew them together to make one canopy that you would load at 4:1?

:D
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Hell, I think its awesome.

But why do people say its for sale when its not.

Thats a blatant lie where I'm from.

BTW, I still have all those plastic canopies that I used to fly at SDH. And they are still in great shape. I'm still waiting for someone to make a production canopy out of this material. I recall actually placing at a swoop meet with one.

They should just say we made a new canopy for our team so they can kick more ass.

Nonsense. If that were true it wouldn't be available outside of the Factory Team.

Just thinking out loud here. Who outside the team is it available too? A hand full of people? I can care less to be honest. I am having hard enough time wanting to get the scratch together for a comp velo. I am deff not paying 3500 plus for a canopy to compete 2-3 times a year. So again no worries I can careless who they go to. I do think its a wing and like every other wing you fly whats over your head. Wording is everything and the way they worded the article on said canopy makes them (pd) sound snooty to me at least from a public relation stand point.
Never give the gates up and always trust your rears!

from the sound of it, ultra-light and thin lines plus very high wing-loads. Sounds like a good choice for snapped lines or a cracked neck!
In every man's life he will be allotted one good woman and one good dog. That's all you get, so appreciate them while the time you have with them lasts.

- RiggerLee

from the sound of it, ultra-light and thin lines plus very high wing-loads. Sounds like a good choice for snapped lines or a cracked neck!

I doubt it's something that simple. If it were, you could swap out the lines and take it to terminal all day.

Designing a canopy is full of tradeoffs. You might want an ultra long dive which could come in part from an extremely steep trim, but a steep trim might be BAD news at terminal opening. We deploy at half brakes for a reason! ;)
You want lots of lift and control of wing tip vortices, so you go with a Schumann planform, but maybe the hyper-responsiveness that comes with that planform and that trying to reliably control a terminal deployment aren't compatible...

Usually designers compromise to get the best of all the factors they want... I'm guessing the design brief for the Peregrine went something along the lines of 'we want a primary swooping machine. Not a skydiving canopy that can be used for swooping. Focus on the former...'

My guess as to why it isn't meant to be taken to terminal? It wasn't designed to be.

Whats a difference? VS VELO PRO or PETRA for example? Looks awsome thou...

PD got a Petra. Pulled it apart, put it back together. Stuck a PD logo o. There and called it a peregrine.

Icarus did the r&d PD put their spin on it
*IF AT FIRST YOU DONT SUCCEED... SKYDIVING IS NOT FOR YOU!!!*

Whats a difference? VS VELO PRO or PETRA for example? Looks awsome thou...

PD got a Petra. Pulled it apart, put it back together. Stuck a PD logo o. There and called it a peregrine.

Icarus did the r&d PD put their spin on it

Thanks for your informed opinion.

Now, just so I can check - you're basing this assertion on

Personal familiarity with both parachutes?
Knowledge of the construction patterns of both?
Firsthand information of the PD / Icarus R&D process?

come on - You're posting this as fact on a public forum, so I'm asking you for your evidence. Put up or shut up. By the way, 'I heard' doesn't cut it...

I'm bored of all the Icarus vs PD bullshit that's been going on for years. The fanboyism is rediculous.