Meatmissil3

Crossfire 139 to katana 120

Hello fellow jumpers :) I am thinking about downsizing from my crossfire 139 to a katana 120 but I have heard that the katana is a lot harder to judge exactly where it is going to come out of the dive. Also I have heard that katanas need to be loaded at 1.7 before they shut down properly and before they start handling properly. Does this sound right to people that have jumped katanas before ?

I jump the Katana 135 with WL 1.6 (150 jumps) and what I can say is: she's a bitch that I love :)
The openings are acceptable :P
But after the opening .... you have a non-X-braced Velo above your head :)
and her dive is what I love the most.
here is the example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=du7zzs1jxoI&feature=g-upl

My piece of advice: together with Katana buy the mPOD or LazyBag (it will improve openings)
Note that original braking lines are quite long (necessary for swooping) and that is why for people with short arms it might be difficult to shut her down.

Free speech includes the right not to listen, if not interested.

Hello fellow jumpers :) I am thinking about downsizing from my crossfire 139 to a katana 120 but I have heard that the katana is a lot harder to judge exactly where it is going to come out of the dive.

It isn't harder, it is just different from the XF2. The XF2 comes out of the dive much more sharply, like a stock VX does. The Katana rolls out of the dive similar to how a Velo does.

Also I have heard that katanas need to be loaded at 1.7 before they shut down properly and before they start handling properly.

I wouldn't say that. I would say that if you're not loading at least 1.4 then you should choose a different canopy, like a Sabre2. Not because the Katana won't fly, just because there isn't a point to it. The Katana is a no-shit 9-cell swoop monster. Buying one loaded lightly is purely an ego purchase and you will be embarrassed by people out swooping you on a Sabre2. Buy a used Sabre2 and spend the extra money on canopy coaching.

Does this sound right to people that have jumped katanas before ?

Not really.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Also I have heard that katanas need to be loaded at 1.7 before they shut down properly and before they start handling properly

I don't get it.

A Katana 120 is an expert level canopy. If you're an expert level canopy pilot, then you should be able to explain the above statement about WL to me. If you can't answer your own question, do you really think a Katana 120 is for you?