Chocolate

Turn Mechanics and G loading

I, like most other competitive pilots, am always looking for techniques to increase the performance of my turn. I was recently introduced to the concept of "G" loading through the turn. Unfortunately the introduction didn’t really provide much detail and I am unclear on many of the details in the concept.
Here is what I understand so far:
Throughout a turn the G loading of the suspended weight can be increased by using a turn mechanic that continuously increases in pitch and roll rate. With that concept applied the WL of a canopy go from 2.5:1 at the beginning of a turn to a loading of 3:1 or higher. Therefore providing a longer dive, and higher entry speed at the gates.
The preferred turn mechanic to provide this increase was described as beginning in double fronts. slowly letting out the outside riser to initiate a slow roll in. As the turn progresses the turn rate is increase by increasing the speed the risers are released. Ending the turn on line with both arms all the way up ready to transfer to rears.
My previous turn mechanic was to begin in double fronts, slowly letting them out asymmetrically until both arms were up at around the 180 degree point, and finally providing the "snap with a harness input. I was told that the G loading was increased during the time I was in double fronts and only maintained or leveled off during the harness input.

Does anybody know where I can find documentation on this concept that explains the theory as well as best practices? I would like to know if the G loading increases constantly or if it spikes during the turn. I am also interested in if there is a drastic difference in g loading obtained from front riser or harness turn mechanics. Thoughts, comments, and links to documentation are very encouraged.

The preferred turn mechanic to provide this increase was described as beginning in double fronts. slowly letting out the outside riser to initiate a slow roll in. As the turn progresses the turn rate is increase by increasing the speed the risers are released. Ending the turn on line with both arms all the way up ready to transfer to rears.

My technique is a little different. Starting double then pulling in on the turn direction until I approach the last 180 degrees, then everything is pulled in and aggressively pushed over with the harness and risers.

The best way to describe it is you're taking your canopy and throwing it to the ground as hard as you can.

It's great when you're rolling out of a downwind run for distance. It really sucks if it is a downwind zone acc run!:D

When you do it right it'll feel like you just lit off a rocket motor as your roll out of the turn. If you do it wrong you'll air-ball the shit out of your swoop.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Thanks for the reply! The mechanics of your turn seem sound to me. I am sure that it works great with downwind speed courses as well.

I will have to play with that type of mechanic on my next hop & pop.

Once I was (slightly) introduced to the concept of g loading throughout the turn I was intrigued. It would seem to me that the potential power that can be used in that regard would be far more important than the efforts to reduce parasitic drag. Add the two together, with a healthy dose of consistency, and you have a winning combination.
I have been looking for other information that covers the principles of g loading in regards to parachutes but haven’t found them yet. I am thinking that it may be time to just look at aeronautic principles in g loading and see if they translate directly into canopy flight.