countfunkular

front riser traps fingers on landing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDXatJk1sFc&feature=youtu.be

just after pulling the dive loop you can see the front riser blow over my hand which locks my fingers into the dive loop, managed to release my fingers just in time but couldve been much worse. anybody had this happen before? any ideas how to prevent this?

I am no expert, but I would have thought pulling the riser down so far that it can do that is counter productive. You are distorting the wing so much it can't fly properly.

Other than not pulling it so far down I don't know how stop it from happening.
Dave

Fallschirmsport Marl

Couple of things:

1) Yes I've seen this before. It happened years ago to Jay, my teammate, and it was sketchy. I would suggest bigger dive loops as a possible solution

2) I would STRONGLY encourage you to change your toggle grip. Keep the entire toggle over your hand in your palm, secured by 2 fingers (pinky and ring) when you pull the fronts. Your 3 finger toggle method seems to have a high probability of dropping a toggle.

3) Personally I don't like, or recommend blocks (Leverage reasons)

4) Nothing wrong with the amount you're pulling your fronts down. I pull mine down further :)
Blues,
Ian

Performance Designs Factory Team

2) I would STRONGLY encourage you to change your toggle grip. Keep the entire toggle over your hand in your palm, secured by 2 fingers (pinky and ring) when you pull the fronts. Your 3 finger toggle method seems to have a high probability of dropping a toggle.

That was the thing that stood out to me, too.

Sketchy.
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

Thanks for the input Ian, would you please care to explain what it is you don't like with the blocks ?

I personnally switched to them after having my altimeter stuck in the diveloop which scared the hell out of me.

I also sometimes jump and use loops, but now I got the habit to grab higher than the loops
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Don't think of it as "pulling down your risers". Think of it as shifting your weight from your leg straps to the front risers. Once your entire body weight has been lifted off the leg straps you have already changed the flight configuration as much as possible. After that you are just changing your body position (ie. tucking into a ball).

Regarding the OP, I have gotten a hand caught in my front riser dive loop but I didn't have video to determine the cause. It has only happened once that I can remember.

how to prevent this?

When you pull the riser straight down and end with your hand right next to your 3-ring, you allow for a ton of slack in your riser. Pull your riser down to a position a couple inches out front of your shoulder. That will limit the amount of slack you create under your dive loop, and with no slack to loop over your hand, you have no problem.