SRI85

Lead packaging for weight belts?

I need a weight belt. There is a couple available at my local gear store with out weights. I picked up a 25lb bag of shotgun lead, as this seemed a lot cheaper then paying for weights from a skydive store. I just need something to package it with, within the belt itself.

Also are the weight belts typically used by RW flyers suitable to carry 25lbs? maybe i need 2?

Thanks for the help.

I make mine by putting 1, 2, or 3 lb of shot in a plastic sandwich baggie, then putting it inside some cordura I sew into the piece of weight. Be sure to make your cordura holders a little bigger than you think, because even in the baggies the shot likes to move around and make it a pain to sew.

BTW, if you're not already decent with a sewing maching, you might wanna have your rigger make the weights for you. They're remarkably harder than you might expect.
Brian

Tubular nylon webbing works well for making the weights cause you only have to sew the ends and it's perfectly round when it's filled up.

Sew one end off, flip it inside out, fill with lead (in a baggie if you want) then sew the other end shut. Comes in consistent sizes. so all the weights feel the same.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Tubular nylon webbing works well for making the weights cause you only have to sew the ends and it's perfectly round when it's filled up.

Sew one end off, flip it inside out, fill with lead (in a baggie if you want) then sew the other end shut. Comes in consistent sizes. so all the weights feel the same.

Thanks, I like this idea, can you recommend a place to buy these from? and size i should get? is it something i can get at a local fabric store?

You can purchase scuba weight, that is pre-packed mesh bags. The nice thing about using it is scuba weight belts are TSA-approved for carry on. It is usually available in 1, 2.5, 3, and 5lb bags.

That is what I use and I just wear it up to the TSA inspection when I fly. TSA generally asks if I'm going diving.
Dano

I purchase a DeepSeed Deluxe Weightbelt.......super comfy and exceptionally well built. Only problem I have was that I could only max it out at 12lbs. While for now is more than enough, but for future competition I'll need as much as I can get without having to use 2 weight belts.

Smaller lead shot vs size = more weight per pouch correct? Might just have too large size of lead shot as well.

edit to add: Found out best ratio is to mix and match different sizes for highest density. Any mathematics wiz like to please calculate that for me? :)

For info regarding lift ticket prices all around the world check out
http://www.jumpticketprices.com/dropzones.asp

Found out best ratio is to mix and match different sizes for highest density. Any mathematics wiz like to please calculate that for me?

The air volume between packed spheres will always reduce when the radii of the spheres shorten, so smaller is always better.

Not that it answers any part of your question, but the greatest volume that uniformly sized spheres can occupy is pi / 3 * sqrt(2) or approximately .74048 or 74% of the available space
For the same reason I jump off a perfectly good diving board.