DaVinciflies

What's the single thing you've learned that has improved your swoop?

Safety margin, speed, distance - whatever type of improvement you like.

For me the thing I learned recently which made a big difference was to try to release the front risers over a three second count. It is quite hard to control, but has made a difference to my speed as the canopy recovers.

I have had to take my initiation altitude up though!

breathe, easiest way to do this is to sing or talk yourself through what your doing. sounds weird but worked for me.
This technique also also improved my girlfriends basic canopy flight overnight.
She sings teddy bears picnic from about 2000ft down, shes gone from pounding in on a Pilot 170 to landing CRW lightning 126s beautifully in a very short amount of time, by singing/breathing relaxing.
...remember to take it easy.....and if its easy take it home..

Recognizing my attitude and behavior pattern on the way to the DZ. I found on days where I "had" to swoop, I did terrible. Recognized this most on days after 2+ weeks away (business, RW, etc.) I've learned to relax and enjoy the process.
Losers make excuses, Winners make it happen
God is Good
Beer is Great
Swoopers are crazy.

For me personally it's all about the mental state. Realizing that it's just swooping and not the end all be all of my life. Breath, relax, have fun, and enjoy the journey.

Other than that...flying a good pattern/set up is key
Slip Stream Air Sports
Do not go softly, do not go quietly, never back down

Know why to bail, when to bail, and how to bail. You don't have to swoop on every landing, and you don't have to finish every turn you start.

That's the one I try to get into every pilot's head. Bailing when you don't have to won't hurt you. Not bailing when you should will kill you.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

Awesome stuff. To collate what we have so far (I put the safety-specific ones at the top, others in no particular order):

- Know how to bail
- Know why/when to bail
- Don't fall into the "have to swoop" trap.

- Learn to fly an accurate pattern/set up in any wind speed/direction
- Finish the turn strong (hopefully Ian will give us a little more detail on this)
- Breathe (and/or singing!)
- Slow release of fronts to start recovery (ie. be smooth, or perhaps I mean "mooth").

#1 - Eye ball the ground! digital altimeters are great and so are audible altimeters but your Eyes are the BEST!! Use them and trust them.
#2 - Concentrate on accuracy first! Be able to land in any direction no matter what the winds are doing and be able to finish the Swoop where you want!
#3 - Once you can do that, you can start worrying about techniques and degree of turn!

#1 - Oh and the most important!!! Look Awesome, Be Rad and Remember Safety is always #3
Skydivers are nothing but a bunch of Narcissistic A$$holes!!
Front risers were made for pulling! Pal
MuFF#5640
D.S. # 2012

When I was doing 270's I used to say the swoop is won or lost at 1000 ft, meaning if you put the thought into it before the turn it will pay off and if you are not in the right place at 1000 ft don't force it.

Now days it is won or lost at 1500ft.