Creep0321

"B" Canopy course?

What is the best way to find out where and when canopy courses that meet the "B" requirement will take place? Ive tried calling and emailing a local dropzone, to no avail.
Jack of all trades.
Military Free Fall Jumpmaster.
USA Static-line Jumpmaster.

they make you take a canopy course now for your B license? Last I was trying to do it 9 years ago you just had to get some skill stuff checked off. I lost the papers that had it checked off and then got out of the sport and didnt bother ever trying to get my "B".

Isn't it just a way for USPA to collect money from skydivers???

I can see if you want to be a slave on the dropzone (err I mean instructor), then it might be good to get the licenses.

they make you take a canopy course now for your B license? Last I was trying to do it 9 years ago you just had to get some skill stuff checked off. I lost the papers that had it checked off and then got out of the sport and didnt bother ever trying to get my "B".

I can see if you want to be a slave on the dropzone (err I mean instructor), then it might be good to get the licenses.

No, you don't have to take a canopy course. You can get signed off on the proficiencies from your S&TA I believe.

Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

Are you at Raeford?

If so, then talk to Windmiller. I believe his course covers all the needs for the B, if not, I bet he could make it happen. Regardless, you'd do good to take his course.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I have yet to hear of anybody who has paid for additional canopy instruction say it was a waste of time or money. I haven't spoken to everybody on the planet who has taken a canopy control course, but I am willing to bet the overwhelming majority think it was time/money well spent.

I don't see how USPA benefits financially from this. If anything, they lose because people who don't want to take additional canopy training won't get a 'B' license. USPA would be out the $30.00 (or whatever it is now) for a license fee.
For the same reason I jump off a perfectly good diving board.

by the way I was talking about the license fee, not fees for canopy courses. License fees are the waste of money.

Fees for canopy courses are understandable and I agree with you that most people are happy to pay for canopy courses (the teacher must get compensation for practicing her profession).

I have never gotten a license since the "A" since there is not point to pay money for something worthless. I have never been questioned about my license at any dropzone I ever gone to. All that has been required while visiting DZs (at most) has been checking out reserve repack card. Usually nothing I just manifest for a load and get on the plane and jump with only giving my first name.

I think canopy courses are a great way to spend your money. I would take another one this year...and next year...and next year......

:)

by the way I was talking about the license fee, not fees for canopy courses. License fees are the waste of money.

Uhhh ... license fees haven't changed. Try again.

BTW, you can get a D license without paying for an A, B, or C if you want to (you do have to meet the requirements for the lower licenses, but you could get away with only paying one license fee). As long as you've got that stamped A card, you have an A license. Now, there are some DZs that may want you to have the actual physical license from USPA, and if you do lose that yellow card, you've now got to recreate all that documentation (where if you applied for a license, you'd just have to ask USPA for a replacement card).

But you go on with your money grab argument. :|
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Yes, I guess you're right (i don't know what the uhhhh is for unless you need to just randomly go uhhhh). license fees have always been a waste of time.

A "D" license sounds like a load of shit much like a "B" license does.

So you think licenses overall are a waste of time/money? Maybe that's worth a thread in and of itself - I'd be curious to hear your arguments against them (besides "waste of time" because that doesn't tell me much).
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Yes, I guess you're right (i don't know what the uhhhh is for unless you need to just randomly go uhhhh). license fees have always been a waste of time.

A "D" license sounds like a load of shit much like a "B" license does.

So you think licenses overall are a waste of time/money? Maybe that's worth a thread in and of itself - I'd be curious to hear your arguments against them (besides "waste of time" because that doesn't tell me much).

And don't forget the DZs that require an actaul license of a certain type to land at a tighter landing area, to be eligible to do beach landings or jump helos/balloons, and maybe even be able to jump at a very cool resort type boogie.

Yep, licenses are completely useless.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

So the alternate to not having licensing in place would involve what exactly? I can't quite picture a 'real world scenario' that would work... enlighten me. What would stop a fresh A license jumper (or the equivilant because you despise licenses) bullshiting their way on big way loads by saying they have been jumping for 5 years.

I dig licensing...No one likes fees but it is what it is, I wouldn't jump without a licensing system in place.

NW-FLYER: just make yearly membership fees cover licenses then it would be fine is my opinion. No need to rape more money from their members for a simple filing of paperwork.

So we've narrowed it down.

It's not the canopy course (or the cost of a course).

It's not licenses in general.

It's the fee to apply ("rape" :|) for a license that you have a problem with.

Whew. Took a while to get to the heart of the issue.

excaza has a good point - any time you lump the cost of something that not everyone needs/wants into the general cost, people will figure out a way to complain about it. Heck, people will figure out a way to complain about it, period.

There's a cost associated with issuing licenses. A staff member has to validate that paperwork, and send it back if it's not accurate or complete. The information has to be logged. The license itself has to be printed & mailed. Someone has to maintain the online database that tracks license & rating information so that DZs can look you up online when you forget to bring your card. None of these things is free.

The good news is that no one's making anyone apply for any licenses. (Although for all practical purposes, if you want to travel beyond your home DZ, applying for the A will be helpful, though technically not required).

Uuuummmm, wow. What she said. The reason for the um is that your logic simply doesnt work. If you don't want a B, then dont get one. All of this is completly by choice. But if you want the privelidges associated with a B, C, or D, then you pay the financial cost of the administrative actions. The system was specifically designed so that every USPA member pays for what they want and nothing that they dont. The only exception to this being Parachutist magazine (you can't opt out). And if you go back a few months in skydiving history, you will see that the BOD has been battered into submission over providing some response to all the caponpy related incidents we've had. And for you to now accuse them of trying to make money on this is just poor taste and obviously uninformed, to put it mildly. There is no money grab here. Quite the opposite actually. :|

D

The brave may not live forever, but the timid never live at all.

To the OP, check out the Canopy Piloting Training Series. We've had 2 of these at Raeford and they have been outstanding. Not sure when or if there will be another but keep an eye out.

Semper Fi

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Canopy-Piloting-Training-Series/140718432682976
The brave may not live forever, but the timid never live at all.

Uuuummmm, wow. What she said. The reason for the um is that your logic simply doesnt work. If you don't want a B, then dont get one. All of this is completly by choice. But if you want the privelidges associated with a B, C, or D, then you pay the financial cost of the administrative actions. The system was specifically designed so that every USPA member pays for what they want and nothing that they dont. The only exception to this being Parachutist magazine (you can't opt out). And if you go back a few months in skydiving history, you will see that the BOD has been battered into submission over providing some response to all the caponpy related incidents we've had. And for you to now accuse them of trying to make money on this is just poor taste and obviously uninformed, to put it mildly. There is no money grab here. Quite the opposite actually. :|

D

Keep telling yourself that!

D

Keep telling yourself that!

So hey, what's your real name? I assume that you're on the list of folks who are running for the USPA Board of Directors this year since you have so many great ideas to reform the organization, right?

So hey, what's your real name? I assume that you're on the list of folks who are running for the USPA Board of Directors this year since you have so many great ideas to reform the organization, right?

Ummm, doubt it. Why should 5. waste time with the USPA when so much more can be achieved on this site by pissing and moaning about being butt raped for a few $$ to get 4 simple licenses.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

To the OP, check out the Canopy Piloting Training Series. We've had 2 of these at Raeford and they have been outstanding. Not sure when or if there will be another but keep an eye out.

Semper Fi

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Canopy-Piloting-Training-Series/140718432682976

Thanks, I posted on their FB inquiring about the next date, they said september, if im not in Louisburg NC jumping with work, ill be there.
Jack of all trades.
Military Free Fall Jumpmaster.
USA Static-line Jumpmaster.

BTW, you can get a D license without paying for an A, B, or C if you want to (you do have to meet the requirements for the lower licenses, but you could get away with only paying one license fee). As long as you've got that stamped A card, you have an A license.

Unless something has changed recently this is not correct. The stamped A card expires after one year ... I would know. :|
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch