Chocolate

Searching for the extras to train and compete.

Looks like I should have made my first post in here. I am new to this whole forum, blogging, threading thing. Anyhow, does anyone know where to find a weight belt that will hold 21 lbs of weight and a decently priced RDS? ($400 is ridiculous in my opinion). Is there such a store that caries equipment for swoopers?

The problem with an RDS price is mostly in the rings. The slider itself is at most $25 in materials, depending on construction. But getting quality rings made that won't tear up your lines is pricey.

The labor in making the slider is where the cost adds up as well. Making a slider is not a quick task.

The labor in making the slider is where the cost adds up as well. Making a slider is not a quick task.

I'd say that's a minor part of it, unless you charge $75 an hour or something. I can churn out a pretty good copy of a Para-Concepts RDS slider in about 4 hours, so someone with some decent sewing experience could easily do one in a couple hours or less.
Brian

It seems to me that it comes down to companies charging a premium for the "specialty" equipment because as jumpers we have no other choice. There is very little competition to drive the prices down. I am sure that the larger companies, like UPT, have decent purchasing power on the stainless hardware and milling process or there would easily be an enormous fee for upgrading hardware to stainless. Either way, I am on the hunt. FYI, if any of you pilots are looking for weight belts but don't want to pay 300 dollars or more check out SeaSofts harness.
https://www.scuba.com/scuba-gear-154/044064/Seasoft-Seawolf-Diving-Weight-Harness.html
I haven't tried one on yet but it looks like it will do the trick for under 200 bucks.

why rds?
for just release the slider?
or the deployement bag and pilot chute?
because you can instal a "lanyard" on your daily slider,
stow the slider in your back, and the bag and pilot chute in your sweat.

you can sew a weightbelt for 2$,

only the lead was expansive.
niques tout, chies d'dans...