jtfreefly

what type of turn if you are to low to swoop

The HELL they are!!!! Go from 90's right too 270's.... You come to lodi, mile high, z hills,deland,eloy Ill slap the shit out of you for doin that here:(... You have a blind spot... Dangerous turns... IN NOOOOOO WAY IS THAT THE PROPER PROGRESDION IN SWOOPING. Its for guys who are tea hing themselves and are hoseing themselves. Being a mod here you might NOT want to give advice on things you dont know. Ive seen you swoop and I would NOT give out advice my friend. We need to teach safe and responsible swooping techniques. Not give wrong info to newbies... Cheesedick out.

I am also slightly amused by you the fact that you started this thread the way you did just over a year ago!!

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4144847;

"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

I am also slightly amused by you the fact that you started this thread the way you did just over a year ago!!

Slightly? That's hilarious is what that is.

Last summer, the guy can't figure out how to lean forward in his harness, 15 months later he's calling out a member of the PD Factory Team as to his skills or qualifications. Sounds like a classic 'mall ninja' to me.

I don't know how 180's used to be taught since I've only been doing this a few years, so can someone please explain to me how a 180 can have a blindspot but a 270 does not? I know my 270 technique was basically a 180 with a harness inputted 90 tacked on the end. The turns are very similar for me.
"Are you coming to the party?
Oh I'm coming, but I won't be there!"
Flying Hellfish #828
Dudist #52

IMO opinion any turn has blind spots. The reason 180's are somewhat controversial, again imo, is that people fly goofy patterns - basically a downwind leg right up the middle of the landing area and then huck a 180. This presents a huge predictability issue, as well as having a canopy flying directly towards others on final.

I teach a slightly different pattern to minimize this issue but to some degree, for 180's, it's always there.

Blues,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

I have a tendency to ride in brakes before my turn, so I was taught to fly my usual pattern, then while in brakes before I start the turn, make a braked 90 turn away, then begin. That way its a traditional predictable pattern.
Flying Hellfish #828
Dudist #52

Thats the way I teach it too :)
Minimal component flying anything other than a 'regular' pattern. Still, it does require a flat turn towards traffic for a few seconds to let the canopy settle out - not really ideal, but far better than the 'old' way :)
Blues,
Ian

Performance Designs Factory Team

Minimal component flying anything other than a 'regular' pattern. Still, it does require a flat turn towards traffic for a few seconds to let the canopy settle out - not really ideal, but far better than the 'old' way :)
Blues,
Ian

So you're adding a short fourth leg to your landing pattern?

So I guess your in a position to replace Ian on the PD Factory Team then.......with your VAST knowledge and Skills?

I think anyone with basic swooping knowledge and skills can read your posts and understand how wrong you are.

I'm not usually negative toward people on here......But you have no clue and blast out like you do.

Blues,
Ian

So you're adding a short fourth leg to your landing pattern?

Attached is what I was taught for a left hand pattern. Besides the area in green, its a normal pattern so it minimizes confusion like Ian said.
Flying Hellfish #828
Dudist #52

What turn do you do if you realize you screwed up and did not get your pattern right, and need to do a turn that conserves altitude so that you can still get turned around into the wind?

WTF are you doing swooping if you don't know the answer to this question?
I am an asshole, but I am honest

What turn do you do if you realize you screwed up and did not get your pattern right, and need to do a turn that conserves altitude so that you can still get turned around into the wind?

WTF are you doing on the internet if you cannot read a simple question without reading things into it that may not have been on purpose? B|

WTF are you doing on the internet if you cannot read a simple question without reading things into it that may not have been on purpose? B|

I say ploughing turn ;).

I say ploughing turn ;).

Or an excavating turn B| haha

cut anyone off before. It can be done safely.

really? in 800 900 plus jumps you have never cut anyone off? you are either really,good. really lucky or only jump at a single 182 dz:P:P:D
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

cut anyone off before. It can be done safely.

really? in 800 900 plus jumps you have never cut anyone off? you are either really,good. really lucky or only jump at a single 182 dz:P:P:D

Mostly option 3! And maybe a little option 2, but most of my swoops are on solo passes or I pull higher and sit in brakes and wait on everyone else. When I go to bigger dz's, I either refrain from swooping or make smaller turns when there is space. I have no desire (or enough currency) to really practice big turns in crowded areas.
Flying Hellfish #828
Dudist #52