justme12001

broken RDS

So Friday I lost my pilot chute, d-bag, and RDS lanyards. Was wondering if anyone else has had this happen?

I have been jumping a partial rds(slider only) for about a year. I finally decided to hook up the rest of it and try it out. First jump went great, did about a 8-9 sec delay and perfect opening. Landed, packed again just as before, did a quick two way with a buddy prob 20 sec or so. When I opened was a little hard but nothing horrible, have had much worse. Anyway I look up and the slider is there, but nothing else. When I get on the ground I see that the lanyards attachment points have been ripped off.

So my question is, is this common, has it happened to anyone else?

So Friday I lost my pilot chute, d-bag, and RDS lanyards. Was wondering if anyone else has had this happen?

So my question is, is this common, has it happened to anyone else?

I know at least 2 swoopers with this problem - broken swivel attachment = lost d-bag + PC.
For this reason i use 1 soft-link instead of swivel attachment ;)

Saw this happen to a friend of mine last year. Both bartacs holding the tabs where the lanyards attach to the slider failed. Very weird. His was also a para concepts. I have used their sliders for 5 plus years and my bartacs looked alright. I put an extra bartacs on mine after that happened to him. They were very surprised when he reported it to them. You should contact them if you haven't yet. I would be curious to know if his slider and yours was made around the same time.

here are pics of the ripped off attachment points. So my thoughts are bar-tack where the old ones where, then with the extra long tab, go over the cable housing then sew the extra stitching. Maybe turn the attachment points to the same angle that the lanyards run.

I think this will work nicely. Will do some sewing tonight on some longer attachment tapes.

Question for you. Are you using a regular dbag or a stowless bag on yours? I have a stowless bag with magnets in it, which gives the dbag a bit more weight to it, and I was thinking that this maybe leading to a greater pull on the tabs at opening time.

Having never seen one of these in proper condition, just a question. Is it one bartack that has failed at each attachment point?
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I believe so. I'm not really sure how much force is applied to the attachment points upon opening, but the one bar-tack just doesn't seem to be enough to me. I like to over build things though :S And it seems to me that they are going in the wrong direction. I'm no rigger, but it seems it would be stronger if the stitching was in line with lanyards vs going across. Not sure if that makes sense?

I'm a welder(among other things), and applying the fundamentals from that field, it makes sense to run your support in line with for force pulling on it.

My free advice:

I'd run a longer support tape down further (along the slider re-enforcement tape) and bartack it 3-4 times perpendicular to load path.

Take it for what it's worth: my 2 cents.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message