5.samadhi

90 degree front riser carve to double fronts for landing - conservative/safe approach?

I have base jumped, highlined, and free solo'd multipitch routes

ooooh, you are eXtrEmE
I bet you have a go-pro and drive super fast through residential neighborhoods

translation - bragging about stupid stuff doesn't help your case and this really is one crowd that this kind of stuff absolutely doesn't impress

well actually I was illustrating a point that skydivers seem to be more obsessed with failure than other disciplines where death is imminent if you do the equivalent of not letting up the front riser. Its just odd to me...I suppose skydiving is more of a community event and this is where the difference lay between fixed object jumping, highlining between two cliffs alone or soloing a route without gear. More of a 'mother hen' syndrome in skydiving? I wonder why climber's aren't like you AggieDave? They have cut gear off their dead friends too you know. You're not special in that regard so surely that is not the difference.

Rehmwa, nothing is extreme. And everything is extreme. ;)

Climbing is very different in that the strength and stamina required take many years to build up, it makes free soloing anything pretty much impossible until such time as you are experienced enough to make an informed decision to start free soloing and how.

You can grab a riser and start hook turning within a week of passing your AFF at some DZs.

I know that 250 jumps may seem like a lot when thats all you have but it is an extremely small amount.
Consider that you spend 10 seconds swooping on any given jump thats less than 43minutes experience. I bet you had been climbing for a number of years rather than minutes before you started free soloing?
I know how frustrating it is to be in a regulated sport like skydiving when you are used to the freedoms of base and climbing but every time someone kills them self or another skydiver at the DZ it brings more rules and effects the freedoms of everyone else, especially in the US where swooping is being restricted at more and more Dropzones.

If you want to experience the freedom you are used to I would suggest speedflying. It has a risk profile more similar to base than skydiving but no one will mind what you are doing off in the mountains away from the DZ.

One piece of advice I can share with you is not to make the mistake of thinking that competency in one discipline will offer a short cut in another, if anything it will put you at risk and check out BFL #179 as an example of this.
I love the steep part of a learning curve, its the most fun part and I try not to skip any of it.

I remember a guy at work who after seeing one of my speedflying videos decided he wanted me to teach him. I explained to him that paragliding or skydiving experience was essential, however the next time I met him he had done some internet research on how "to pull the strings" and that he was already experienced in 'extreme sports'. (he used to roller blade in his teens!)

Thanks Hokie,
I appreciate the compliment!
I don't give advice on here due to the possibility of confusion.
I can say to samadhi.....Stop with the 180 degree turns. they are dangerous and blind turns. You have to fly into the pattern to land with the pattern. Be safe and ignore the idiots that attempt to give sarcastic advice on here.
To the individuals giving sarcastic advive..... Please stop, someone may take you seriously. the language barrier on here as well as the inability to detect sarcasm is not appreciated nor wanted.
"Dropzone.com, where uneducated people measuring penises, has become an art form"

Why do you say no more skydiving after a broken pelvis?

At least 6 months after a broken femur?

What I've seen in the sport over the past 12 years is that the majority of jumpers who break their pelvis, not crack, not fracture, but actually break it leave the sport. A couple have said they didn't regain enough mobility after the injury. Another I talked to said that there was too much pain with the harness. The rest of the ones I've known who actually broke their pelvis later died from their injuries.

A lot of people I've seen who have broken a femur and had to have it put back together took at least 6 months to come back to the sport.

Have you seen others with injuries like that come back sooner?
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

don't forget the Murphy law, each fracture can be totaly different,
if my femur is already repaired,
I could not re-jump before a few years because an infection that caused me a lot more sequels (and it's not over) that the crash itself...

that said, as someone said earlier,
doctors have certainly benefited from my coma to give me some weird things or stange tests...B|

niques tout, chies d'dans...

update: I stopped doing front riser turns for landing, I am now focusing just on double fronts to generate speed...I had some great jumps this weekend doing just this and working on accuracy. I set as a goal this weekend to sometime this year get my pro rating on my current canopy with double fronts before moving on with professional canopy coaching for front riser carves someday (hundreds of jumps from now?).

I had a breakthrough and realized I had the rest of my skydiving career to slowly progress through different high speed landing approaches. Plus I have other goals I want to focus on anyways (doing video for four-way).

Thats great:)You can't learn this stuff from books or the internet.
It takes time and patience and alot of self disipline.

Master the slow stuff first and i mean master and don't fool yourself like some into believing you have skills like flat turns and braked flight nailed just because some people refer to such skills as basic what they should be saying is essential and extremely glad to hear you're working on your accuracy, again it's an essential skill.

Canopy courses are great but again they wont help you master anything but will guide you hopefully on a path of safe progression.

.CHOP WOOD COLLECT WATER.

I had a breakthrough and realized I had the rest of my skydiving career to slowly progress through different high speed landing approaches

This is more or less what I tell myself anytime I have the urge to cut corners: I'll be jumping (hopefully) for decades and thousands of jumps. No need to rush in the beginning.
You stop breathing for a few minutes and everyone jumps to conclusions.

update: I stopped doing front riser turns for landing, I am now focusing just on double fronts to generate speed...I had some great jumps this weekend doing just this and working on accuracy. I set as a goal this weekend to sometime this year get my pro rating on my current canopy with double fronts before moving on with professional canopy coaching for front riser carves someday (hundreds of jumps from now?).

I had a breakthrough and realized I had the rest of my skydiving career to slowly progress through different high speed landing approaches. Plus I have other goals I want to focus on anyways (doing video for four-way).

.......:)

Life is short ... jump often.

update: I stopped doing front riser turns for landing...I had a breakthrough and realized I had the rest of my skydiving career to slowly progress through different high speed landing approaches.

Great!

Remember that every single skydive is a chance to focus on your canopy control skills. Big pro-level swoops are all based on the refinement and application of the basic skill set. In my classes I always call them your "foundation skill set" since everything is built on them. Patterns, accuracy, flat turns...
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I had a breakthrough and realized I had the rest of my skydiving career to slowly progress through different high speed landing approaches.

A lot people don't figure that out and try to push things as fast as they can and skip a lot of very important steps, often that results in injury. Good for you, sounds like you are going in the right direction.