daleskydive

which digital alti is best

Im into swooping ( not competition but would like to have a go one day)but only have a couple of guys at my DZ into it. I have an optima but a an analouge wrist alti (not good enough)and want to make sure I get the right digital wrist alti that can be moved to the inside of my wrist. Looking forward to some good advice.Cheers

Is that the watch sunto cos I would like a decent displsy size. Thanks for the feedback

This one http://www.suunto.com/us/en/products/Outdoor_Sports_Instruments/suunto-core/Suunto-Core-All-Black

I have had 3 visos earlier. Two of them were broken by itself. (though L&B has great customer support and they replaced those units) The last one was lost in freefall once the velcro wristband came undone. I then decided not to get a fourth one and decided to go another route.

IMO the suunto may not be perfect in freefall, but under canopy i find it excellent. I never use my alti in freefall anyways.

IMO the suunto may not be perfect in freefall, but under canopy i find it excellent. I never use my alti in freefall anyways.

IMO I don't trust the Suunto to be accurate enough for flying a set-up. I frequently land and find my Suunto is +/- 50ft or more off since I left the ground.

I have had 3 visos earlier. Two of them were broken by itself. (though L&B has great customer support and they replaced those units) The last one was lost in freefall once the velcro wristband came undone. I then decided not to get a fourth one and decided to go another route.

I have had 2 Sunnto watchs "vectors" stop working for no apparent reason as far as the altimeter goes.What I mean by that is both watchs have reset altitude to 0 on exit (even though they read fine on the way up), both have give erroneous reading in freefall, also both have switched off that screen in freefall too. Also it should be noted even Sunnto does not recommend them for skydiving.

L & B has finally figured out mounting for their Viso. They fit inside a plasitc/rubber housing very securely now.
Kirk
He's dead Jim

I use VISO on my chest, it works great.

A friend of mine use his N3 which is great as well, since it tells you how much altitude you are losing, so on drills you know at what altitude you level off

With the viso you can do the same thing by reading the altimeter when is not losing altitude. If I was going to pick another alti I would go with the N3. Besides, it is re-chargeable. To bad that they took the screw holes on the N3, they worked great on the previous versions for chest mounts.

Also, we use Optimum II (as an audible). They are awesome to get to the IP at the right altitude.

The N3 also sounds like a good option. Are you able to have it on the inside of your wrist. I wear two audiables in my helmet for free fly so dont really use the wrist alti in freefall and its not hard to look on the inside of the wrist anyway.I use optima 2 and protrack so the chance of both failing at the same time is pretty slim

run the Neptune N2 or N3, seems to be the swooping standard run by the PD factory team, think all of the Aussie CP team etc.

can be purchased in Aus from Keiren Rundle @ www.gravitycalls.com
...remember to take it easy.....and if its easy take it home..

I'm not a swooper, so I can't comment on that application, but...

I love my N3. Screen is very easy to read, easier than the other digitals, imho. The menus are easier to work through as well (if you're looking to use some of the additional features).

It has an LZ offset that allows you to set the difference between the runway altitude and the LZ if you're at a dropzone where that difference is notable. Very handy feature. (Other alti's might have that feature, not sure).

I play around with my canopy a lot at altitude, and I like the descent rate reading that's on the screen when you're in the saddle.

What I don't like about the N3 is the mounting options. The soft rubber case protects it well, but I've seen them get pretty destroyed with lots of use. The gloves and wristbands for the Viso are pretty cool, and seem more robust.

Wristmounted AltiTrack und Optima 2.
From my point of view the AltiTrack combines the advantage of being digital with the analog face - which I prefer as I think I can read it very fast and I´m only using it while still very high up anyways.
As I start my turns pretty high (on average ~1400ft depending on size, WL and location) Optima already comes alive for the first time at (~2200ft). From that point on I fly everything with nothing but the Optima. Last time a have a look at my AltiTrack might be on average at 2500ft...

Wristmounted AltiTrack und Optima 2.
From my point of view the AltiTrack combines the advantage of being digital with the analog face - which I prefer as I think I can read it very fast and I´m only using it while still very high up anyways.

I used to turn the AltiTrack over under canopy to read the digital backside, but with my faster canopy it starts to stand straight out because of the wind and it can't be read. So now I have the AltiTrack for freefall and logging, a Viso on my leg for canopy flight and an Optima in my helmet. I use the combination of beeps and the Viso for flying to the IP and start the turn based on the beeps with a second confimation on the Viso.