p3h

Speedfly Soboba Southern California?

Today I saw one very good canopy pilot from my DZ kiting a weird wing. It showed up that that was a speed wing and that guy speed flies a lot. He told me that speed flying can be an awesome tool for improving my canopy piloting skills and I should search for Speed Fly Soboba in Southern California, because apparently they have very good teachers, great mountain and good weather pretty much all year round. I found this on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-P9a-qje6M

Anyone tried it yet or have been over there, because I'm planning to make a trip over there as it seems it's not only a good training but a lot of fun too.

I've heard too that that some skydivers stops skydiving just to speed fly as you get more flying, more excitement and it's 5 times cheaper. Because to be honest, I find canopy flying more exciting than the free fall part.

Well if you are Poland there are several other schools that are closer and more relavent to terrain you would be flying. I know that the Polish speed-flying championship just finished check out speed-flying.com. But there are 2 schools in SoCal either should suit you fine.

Personally I now prefer to speed-fly over skydive but I enjoy the entire mountain experience. It is a sport that should not be taken lightly and you should try to get in with a good local crew.

You should also do a regular paragliding course first, most skills you've practiced for 100 jumps are totally different from speedflying.
Life is ez
On the dz
Every jumper's dream
3 rigs and an airstream

I do not completely agree with this statement, paragliding instruction will help fill in the gaps of knowledge that are needed. However, most of the speedflying schools are teaching this information to their students, as many of them are paragliding schools also. North America has fallen behind in this sport largely due to the huge number of paragliders in Europe. The most important thing when looking for a school is to ask for their curriculum and student progression. Speedflying is not skydiving nor is paragliding, tools and knowledge can be extracted from each sport, but it has its own unique set of risks/ rewards.

External courses I would recommend if you don't have it would be an Avalanche Safety Training (At least an AST-1), and a first aid course. Mountaineering is a big part of this sport, and the environment you are in should not be taken lightly for you can end up some very remote locations.

They seem to have bought the whole mountain over there in Soboba, mostly paragliding but very accepting of SpeedFlyers and seems like great people and great location.

Going to be a major party going down on cinco de mayo, with a live band and maybe, just maybe a few cervezas might be consumed, they also have a gigantic firepit to shoot the shit around.

I really think the future holds some great Speedflying here.

Just found this thread while doing a search to see what comes up under "Speedfly Soboba". Good to see people are talking about it over here.

Naturally since I run the school I encourage everybody to come out! It is true in the above posts that it will improve your canopy skills immensely. One thing that I have been surprised by over and over again are competitive swoopers that let the wing get a bit out of hand, and then once on the ground they are honest in that they lost control. This isn't meant to scare anybody, only to demonstrate that there is still a great amount to learn no matter what your skill level. It's actually a very easy sport, just different from skydiving canopy flight in many ways.

It's not necessary to learn to paraglide first. You will pick up a lot of "PG" skills through the training, which you can apply later to that sport if you decide to take it up. Both sports are a blast.

Soboba has actually become a bigger speed flying site than paragliding now. We'd love to have all of you out to make it even more so. It's the Golden Age of speed flying in the US right now. Come be a part of it.

Troy

Funny how i was literally just searching for speed flying classes in Cali and this thread shows up! Will be sending ya an email soon! I'll be coming from across the small pond they call the pacific ocean ;) Really have been wanting to BASE more than anything but the thought of a 40 min pack job scares me! :D:D

Speed flying does look ridiculously amazing! You wouldn't also teach BASE would ya? Regardless, looking forward to meeting ya in June!

For info regarding lift ticket prices all around the world check out
http://www.jumpticketprices.com/dropzones.asp