wingit

Cracker openings?? Packing q?

I was having the same problem with my canopy (safire 2 149, brand new) and as dumb as it sounds, the worse I packed it ... the better the thing opened. If I put it in all neat and tidy, I would wind up kissing my toes on opening, slam it in dirty and it sniveled and opened like a beauty. Worth trying the drunken pack, see if it makes a difference for you. (hey there's always that handy backup canopy in case shit goes sideways :D )

I wanna go fast!

Off the top of my head i leave about 3" of the slider haning out infront of the nose give or take?

maybe this is a bit wrong too. I would have the slider "level" with the nose, and the sides well to the sides. The center of the slider should be "deep"

And OPEN the slider completely. Them retraction lines should dissapear, and the tabs should be sticking in the slider. At least that is how it is on my slider
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

I'm keen to try the psycho pack, does your control lines go over the pack job when you triangle it? Have you done it with a safire2? Makes it so much easier to bag it! Just concerned about the lines... Might just man up and try it.

it was designed in part to pack very new canopies and to give a slow controlled opening for demos they (PA) were sending out to people. I would definitely give it a try....its exact same as propacking just after rolling tail you set it down with a half linetwist ("upside down" compared to propack) and then smoosh the canopy in (air out) until its about the same size as the dbag. then with one knee on slider (slider control is extremely important at all times packing the canopy) and one knee about halfway up (so you're perpendicular to the canopy facing the side, not the bottom) you smash the last air out and begin tightly rollilng it. You'll know you did a good job when you end up with a tight football lump that slides easily in your dbag.

It will probably take you 10 (20?) times rolling it to really get it down so dont be discouraged.

Same with propacking its just experience that makes it easy.

ps obvious but when you bag the canopy before doing any line stowing you need to untwist the canopy back the way you twisted it!

Jumped it all day yesterday with nicks way of packing... 700 to 800 ft snivel from terminal!!!B| and on heading!!! I flaked it as normal, left the slider level with the nose, folded the tail 3 times before laying it down and pushed that slider on the stops thoughout the whole pack job... Feels like a completely different canopy opening over my head!!!

I had a look for the serial no but its not on the label?

Its a new Javlin J3K container and F111 pilot chute. Not sure on the size of it. The container is for a 170sqft canopy but I can get 189 in the bag comfortably pulling the gromets to the lacky attachment points and not stretching them at all.

Thanks everyone for all the info, hints and tips! Through all your advice I can now jump all day long in absolute comfort! :)B|

+1 on MEL asking about the slider.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoZjdSednDU The second slider I tried (the first one opened worse)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9c5Ra0mcwo Third (final) slider.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

On your second slider that you tried,
how is that hard opening when you can look up at the canopy????

watch some of this guys opening, now that is opening some should complain about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QA5BWTutbQ0

this guy is character of its own too, this canopy doesn't swoop for shit, and thinks that it is badass swooping wing, and even after repeated slammer, he continues to look up at the canopy. :S

Bernie Sanders for President 2016

The problems I had were:

The demo canopy had the larger slider, opened great. My brand new one didn't.

The canopy wasn't inflating properly.

Was inconsistent, sometimes would open ok at best, others it was a ride.

New slider fixed it, softer openings, more consistent and more like the DEMO that I tried.

You said:

safire 2 should be good opening canopy regardless of the pack job.

Mine wasn't with the stock slider. :P
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

Wow - those are some crappy openings!

I can't believe he kept jumping that thing. That had to hurt.....

Well, he let me stick my face in his girl's rack as he took pictures. Never did say he was bright. :D:D

watch some of this guys opening, now that is opening some should complain about.

-his body position doesn't seem to help [:/]
-aren't Cobalts meant to be opened in a track ?

His "good" ones are having closed end-cells.

His "bad" ones look quite snappy.

I got my own collection of Cobalt openings, but I was too lazy to edit them together.

I prefer the fast/positive ones over those slow one coming with closed end-cells.

I would not open that canopy from track if it opens in 2s.

Atair quality control was horrible. CobaltDan and I went round and round about it 10 years ago after his very own demo canopy couldn't open well at all. In fact it cracked open so hard it hurt me. He blamed everything but the canopy he had sent me. He even suggested that I should double wrap small rubber bands to "fix" the problem.

With Cobalts, if you get a good one, keep it, they're fun to fly. If you don't get a good one, move on quickly.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

His "good" ones are having closed end-cells.

His "bad" ones look quite snappy.

I got my own collection of Cobalt openings, but I was too lazy to edit them together.

I prefer the fast/positive ones over those slow one coming with closed end-cells.

I would not open that canopy from track if it opens in 2s.
I don't know the Cobalt, but it is what I remembered from an old thread, like THIS ONE

OK
according to the whole skydiving world I am probably wrong, but I just watched my vids from the past 27 jumps and my openings were good all the way up til I got the new rig with the cordura BOC. which I quickly figured out I cant pull like I did with the spandex PC , and I think I have it figured out.. "hopefully" i think I am compensating for the stronger throw by putting a hip into it a bit and pulling a bit out of symetrical .. all of the openings are a 180 to the left and if I am throwing my hip to the right and pushing myself left in the process.. does that make sense? I only have 8 jumps on the new wings .. By God I think I figured me out!!

I don't think the cordura BOC causes that kind of thing. If you think your PC need a harder pull than with a spandex pouch, then you need to change the way you pack your pilot chute.
Why would you need to "throw stronger" ?
I like my Cordura pouch on my Wings :)

I don't think the cordura BOC causes that kind of thing. If you think your PC need a harder pull than with a spandex pouch, then you need to change the way you pack your pilot chute.
Why would you need to "throw stronger" ?
I like my Cordura pouch on my Wings :)

IMO the theory sounds plausible. I can definetly imagine how a tightly packed ball of a PC suddenly erupts from the non elastic Cordura pouch after a hard pull. Obviously this "erupting" kinetic energy could result into a turning motion of the jumper. Surely something needs to be done if the PC packs too tight on the pouch. It is much easier to get your PC stuck on a cordura pouch than on the spandex one. This is why I dont like the cordura pouch. Infact I dont like Wings as a whole.