wingit

Cracker openings?? Packing q?

Hi all,

I'm jumping a new safire 2 189 (bit over 30 jumps so far on the canopy). I'm getting some real funky openings, some really hurt, most end up in a 360 or more. I've been rolling the nose (4 cells each side) into the nose of the center cell, and rolling the tail 15 times before laying it on the ground to try and slow them down. I always make sure the slider is on the stops and quartered before I roll the tail and lay it down to compress the air out of it. Sometimes its a 500ft snivel which is an ok opening but mostly its around 200ft. I've been told im doing too much to it when packing but when i do less (aka standard issue pro pack) i get the tingles in the fingers
and whiplash when it opens. Ive had others pack it and still get the same thing. I'm thinking its the line trim or the slider size but i could be wrong?

Any thoughts, suggestions or other packing tips will be greatly appriciated.

-I'm jumping a new safire 2 189
GOOD

-I've been rolling the nose (4 cells each side) into the nose of the center cell, and rolling the tail 15 times before laying it on the ground
BAD. Don't roll the nose, don't stuff it in the cells, and roll the tail only to have soem fabric/slider control when on the ground

-I always make sure the slider is on the stops and quartered
GOOD

-before I roll the tail and lay it down to compress the air out of it.
Check that the slider is still on the stops after rolling the tail, and during/after the dbagging

-I'm thinking its the line trim or the slider size but i could be wrong?
it could be possible, ask your dealer/rigger

-Any thoughts, suggestions or other packing tips will be greatly appriciated
Check Nick Grillet's packing videos from the PD channel on youtube, after 2000 packjobs I saw his videos and learnt lots of cool stuff :)
I also had the same issue twice on my Safire2 139, and it was definitely a slider control problem.

If you can, film your packjob (have someone filming you) and post it here for evaluation :)

scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

safire 2 should be good opening canopy regardless of the pack job.

are you sure ? even if the slider moves around ? I know by experience that NOT. I do agree that it is a good opening canopy, and that it is very permissive on packing, but it can still slam your face/back/ass/whatever you prefer
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

safire 2 should be good opening canopy regardless of the pack job.

are you sure ? even if the slider moves around ? I know by experience that NOT. I do agree that it is a good opening canopy, and that it is very permissive on packing, but it can still slam your face/back/ass/whatever you prefer

slider control IS important, however the neatness of the pro pack itself should not have to be perfect. If the canopy is in trim, it more than likely is the slider. Even if the slider is the appropriate size for the canopy.

Have someone check the trim and brake settings, then talk to the mfg (not sure if yours is a NZ or Spain canopy) let them know the problem and they will exchange your slider for a larger one (assuming you bought it new).

I jump an original Safire and I had the same problem - turned out rolling the nose was causing assymetrical inflation and giving me shit openings. I quit rolling the nose, problem solved. Not sure if the Safire2 would have the same issue but you may want to ask someone at your DZ.

As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD...

lol yes it can! but I think the poster is having problems even when straight pro packed. Rolling, burying the nose or stuffing cells used to be the norm for older canopies but you shouldnt have to with a newer one. specially a Saf2 .

5-600 ft openings should be reasonable even expected , but after a day of 200 ft openings that guys gonna be pushin his colon back in with a stick !:DB|

i used to get funky openings, now i just let the nose hang, try putting the grommets at an angle, basically so that they're facing each other bottomside. you can also try folding the seams outside over the length of the slider (the part between the lines).
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

I checked out his packs. I will try it that way this arvo if I get to jump. Without rolling the nose or pushing the nose in.

Ill measure the slider when im doing it and let you know.

Ill get my rigger to check it again against the specs.
I bought it brand new through my rigger. Not sure where it was made? How do you tell? Is it on the warning label on the tail?

I tried the psycho pack a few times but never jumped it cause when i triangle the tail. The control lines come over the whole pack job? Thought it might give me a line over, i asked everyone at the dz but no one there knows how to pack like that.

When i lay it down i grab the grommets of the slider, line them up and gently push away from the container to re tension the lines, i then put my knees on the grommets so they do move when I press the air out. I dont lay on the pack job, i carfully push the air out holding the pc attachment point and using my forearm to push the air towards the pc so i dont disturb the lines too much. I'll try nicks way and see how it goes.

Thanks all for all the help! I'll let you know more when I find out more.

Propack it normally with the nose just hanging down instead of rolled at all, let alone stuffed. I bet that will solve the openings.
And whats the big deal with a 200 foot opening? A 200 foot snivel was a dream come true when I was jumping my Sabre :P

As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD...

Ive done that several times, thats when it opens quicker. Ive just repact it nick grillet's way and double lacky stowed all locking stowes. Hopefully wont get a bag lock. Soon find out.

Ha ha ha well this is a safire 2 not a sabre 1:P! I paid for a longer snivel, just wish it would :S. Cheers for the help!

No i didn't. I pulled it out again and measuring it that way it measures 31.75" x 18.5" though i did not pull the cutaway and fully remove it but its stretched as much as it can go in either folded centre. Is it ment to be that small from front riser to rear riser?

There is nothing on nz aerosports web site about line trim specs or slider sizes... I had a look on PD's site, a 79 velo has a bigger slider than mine... Their sabre 2 190 slider is 26" x 31"... Might not have anything to do with it but there is quite a bit of difference to mine... Anyone know the specs for a safire 2 189 slider? Cheers for all the help!

Ok, i just measured the slider. Its 31" x 18". Is that right?

Yes, that is the correct slider but if you have 750 lb Vectran on your canopy instead of the standard 580 lb. it could be an issue.

I bet that you have the larger line on that canopy.

PM me the serial number and I will get back to you on this.

Cheers,
MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com

Thanks Mel, ill pm you the serial no when i get home tonight.

Off the top of my head i leave about 3" of the slider haning out infront of the nose give or take?

Its a slippery new canopy so i always trash pack it:D but i do take my time flaking it, yet to try the drunken pack! See how we go tomorrow!

Ive got it packed Nick Grillets way atm, (well to the best of my ability:P). I left the nose alone and only folded not rolled the tail 3 times and pulling down to keep the slider against the stops as i lay it down. I also pulled the gromets down to the band rather pulling the band through to the gromets, I double stowed all the stowes with large bands. Hopefully it helps:) Cant wait for tomorrow!!!

Thanks all for the advice! Ill keep you posted!