ke-aloha

Xaos-91 RDS on a VX-89

Anyone use the RDS slider and rings from a Xaos on a VX?

I'm switching to the VX as I like it much more but was hoping not to purchase a new RDS system.

The slider dimensions are not the same (I forget the exact differences though) but does it really matter that much?

Should I just jump it?

If in doubt don't whip it out ;). If its larger than the other slider you may be okay but the opening could be much longer. I know xaos did have a rds slider that was smaller than the regular when I owned one. Measure it ask ur rigger or experienced jumper at your dz and or any others jumping the same canopy with the rds and compare sizes. I'd do a hop n pop but that's not to say its not going to slam u or have a mal on opening. Good luck :P

Anyone use the RDS slider and rings from a Xaos on a VX?

I'm switching to the VX as I like it much more but was hoping not to purchase a new RDS system.

The slider dimensions are not the same (I forget the exact differences though) but does it really matter that much?

Should I just jump it?

Mixing and matching different components has never caused a problem in skydiving before....Or has it?.

Full speed ahead and damn the torpedoes....

What could possibly go wrong???....
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

given that xaos has bigger slider what can possible go wrong???

Devices designed to facilitate optimum performance for any specific device are carefully engineered that way for a reason. The manufacturer prolly spent quite a bit of time, energy and money getting it just right.

But hey, it'll probably work fine....

I have a VX69 that came with a TINY stock slider. So small that it couldn't be tucked behind your head after opening because it was smaller spanwise than my shoulders. I switched it with a modified KA 97 slider and the openings are much better now.
Egad, A BASE life defiles a bad age.

Ke as your friend I would hope that this question was taken lightly in your thoughts. few things here.
1. your home dz is SDA-ask around you have sponsored pilots for each of your components standing around you all day with thousands of jumps.
2. call icarus and tell what size slider your wanting to use and see what happens.
3. if all else fails refer to #1

get back to killing it out there

Darren

I really wonder how thorough of slider testing actually occurs with these canopy manufacturers.

I've spoken to people who've used the same RDS for many different types and sizes of canopies so once again: I was just wondering if anyone here had experimented with the Precision RDS on a VX.

I do enjoy the "what could possibly go wrong" comments. Please keep them coming.

I do enjoy the "what could possibly go wrong" comments. Please keep them coming.

Get all the necessary ratings and experience and become a test jumper.

Jump a few prototypes, test jump a few rogue canopies, and provide an accurate analysis to the manufacturer and learn about a few thing that can go REALLY wrong.

Then deal with a few nasty things that you didn't even consider.

Survive.

I'm sure you'll come out the other side a better jumper.

Good luck!!.l

I agree - while some caution is advised, it isn't as if (a) every canopy is perfect out of the factory, and (b) no jumpers ever experiment with brake settings or sliders.

For example, as far as I can tell, the Icarus FX (at least of a particular size) has had 3 different slider sizes installed by the factory over its early years, and had the brake settings changed once.

And there are slider pockets of varying design built by riggers in the field for different canopies.

Slider sizes are probably getting better though, as companies pay more attention to getting what are considered good openings.

Jumpers who have had Spectra lined canopies have brake lines shrink. If a rigger changes the brake lines, it is tricky to decide how much shrinkage to compensate for, because the rest of the canopies lines are also out of original trim. So the canopy will be jumped with effectively different brake settings over its life. It's another example of the average jumper 'testing' different configurations.

I also noticed that the latest Velocity line trim chart, for example, shows standard and optional slider sizes. The standard one is the same size all the way from a 75 to 120 canopy, while the optional sizes vary, often being 1 to 2 inches smaller both in span and chord than the standard size.

So it isn't as if there's one magical, God given perfect size per canopy size & model, even if in a particular case a company may have done a really good job at finding a good slider size.

thanks for the useful reply. what you're saying makes sense and I really am curious as to how much testing went into precision's design with their current RDS as it's the same size for most of their sub-100 xaos'. Just as curious for Icarus'. The difference between the xaos RDS and the big VX slider is +2" in one direction and -1" in the other if I can recall.

It seems much too insignificant but than again I guess it could make a big difference as I'm no engineer. Some people have advised to just jump it and others have said not too. I have a buyer for the canopy+rds so I will most likely buy an RDS for the VX with the "correct dimensions." All in all I was just curious from the get-go.

call me when you do this I wanna see and make sure you use the cam setup from george to film the openings. have fun and God speed little buddy

Darren

Keep working that fb cayenne!

ill add that I had my slider made by the local rigger where jump. We used pd's measurements however for the slider and paraconcepts rings. Had a small nick in one of the rings come to find out after sending rings back to factory and first lineset only lasted 150 on hma 500's . 300+ on the slider now and its holding up great.150+ on the new vectran 500's and life's good, going to change em by 250 300 to be safe tho. Long story short as long as the slider is larger or the same you shouldn't get slammed hopefully.

How did it go?? :)

A few days ago I was given the information that Jeff Bell from Kapowsin Airsports designed the RDS that he later sold to Precision.

So, naturally, I called him up and spoke with him over the phone. He gave me some great info on slider sizing, how much they actually test sliders, etc.

There is 1 RDS slider size for all Xaos' sub-100 canopies. Also, many of the guys out in Washington, Red Bull guys, Icarus pilots, etc, extensively test jumped the Precision RDS with the VX. The long of the short, he said there would be no problem.

He also said for some reason the RDS slider gets more "bang for the buck" when the rings are placed outboard, rather than standard grommet-like RDS within the slider. So, even though the RDS slider is a tad smaller than the normal one, it acts bigger (if that makes sense). He didn't have a geek explanation for me and said he actually doesn't know why it helps, but it does.

I did a hop and pop today and had a much softer opening with the Precision Xaos' RDS over the small stock VX slider.

Weather rolled in but hopefully I'll get to do more tomorrow.