gs8613

Fully elliptical loaded lower than semi-elliptical: which is more aggressive?

After an argument at the DZ this weekend, I thought I'd post it on here.

The argument started out with: which canopy would be more aggressive?
A Crossfire2 loaded at 1.44 or a Safire2 loaded at 1.55

I'd guess the xfire just had it at these loadings, but at what point would they become similar?

They'd be a Xfire2 139 and a Safire2 129 with an exit weight of 200lbs

I'd guess the xfire just had it at these loadings, but at what point would they become similar?

Crossfire2.

That'd be a moot point. But more to the point, who determines what loading is acceptable? Manufacturer guidelines are obviously and necessarily conservative. I jump an original Sabre at 1.9+, somewhat beyond it's design loading I believe. Who's to say I shouldn't do that? As far as I'm concerned it's entirely up to me. It's certainly not your decision.

One thing we agree on, who cares what the tipping point is. A highly loaded but conservative canopy vs a lighter loaded aggressive canopy, completely up to the user. And no two people will have the same opinion of where the curves cross if in fact they do.
Sometimes you eat the bear..............

That's an interesting argument. A Sabre/Safire loaded at 1.4 versus a xf2 loaded at 1.4 makes for an easy argument but I think in this case you have to dig deeper.

On the Xf2 linetwists (to some extent), packing, turbulence, low turns and accuracy will be important areas of consideration. On the Safire class canopies - - everything would be milder except for slamming into the ground (IMO) - smaller canopy, less drag and probably more speed when in the power zone so the consequences of gross pilot error will be magnified.

Chances are - if someone doesn't think a person is ready to jump a xf2 at 1.44 then that same person will not be able to make the argument they can jump a safire at 1.55. Tough call with a lot of subjective input I'm sure but any semi elliptical canopy can still be a bear - as far as I'm concerned Sabre2, Safire2, Ntiro/Nitrons are all high performance canopies at the right wingloading. And remember: once you get below 150 every canopy is a high performance parachute because of the shortened lines and reduced drag.

What defines aggressiveness of the canopy?????
Is it determind by its dive, turn rate, how it openes, or how far it can swoop????

Let me ask you this which is more agressive canopy? Jvx or katana?? Cause same sized katana will turn faster and dive more than jvx will.

No matter how high you load safire at it will still fly like a safire, and how low you load up crossfire it will fly like crossfire.

The term "agressive is very vague and very subjective, just remember that at any wingloading low turn will send you to hospital and may kill you if you are lucky.
Bernie Sanders for President 2016