stayhigh

Std Velo relining with comp Velo line set?

I've heard VX relining with JVX lines but not Velos.

Well, since the JVX is a 9cell and the Velo a 7 cell, it may not work...:P

Ok, seriously, call up Chuting Star, I've heard they've been doing some custom lineset work. A word of caution, though, leaving the factory design means you've now become a test pilot (with all the pitfalls and perils lurking after you).
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Well, since the JVX is a 9cell and the Velo a 7 cell, it may not work...

Ok, seriously, call up Chuting Star, I've heard they've been doing some custom lineset work. A word of caution, though, leaving the factory design means you've now become a test pilot (with all the pitfalls and perils lurking after you).

Without doubt,we paved the way for custom line sets over the years.
We test all of our stuff before it goes to the customer especially if it is something really new or out of the ordinary.

It answer the OP question, "probably not" if you ask PD.
The other alternative is to use our line sets for the Velo which are a little more HP than the factory stock lines.

Cheers,
MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com

PD won't do it....

I sent my wifes standard Velo 84 back for a reline recently (it's still currently with PD) and I asked for the new orange vectran.
But PD told me no as the orange vectran was only a comp Velo lineset.
I did originally think that there really wasn't that much difference between a standard Velo and a comp Velo lineset, (barring the brake line length obviously, but I have +3 anyway) but I guess there must be.
When I pushed PD for an answer on that I didn't get a reply.

well I know that PD won't do it,
They want to sell comp velo wings not just the lines.
PD is weird in some ways, you are paying so much money for it, and they will say no to bunch of stuff.
"Can I add 4 1/2 inch to break line?" ,,"NO"
"Can you make HMA line set for my Saber2?" ,, "NO"
"Then can I get Velo line set with orange vectran?" ,, "NO"
"How about orange vectran for my specter?" ,, "NO"

What I am asking is have you heard anyone buying comp velo line set and putting it on standard velocity??
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

well I know that PD won't do it,
They want to sell comp velo wings not just the lines.
PD is weird in some ways, you are paying so much money for it, and they will say no to bunch of stuff.
"Can I add 4 1/2 inch to break line?" ,,"NO"
"Can you make HMA line set for my Saber2?" ,, "NO"
"Then can I get Velo line set with orange vectran?" ,, "NO"
"How about orange vectran for my specter?" ,, "NO"

What I am asking is have you heard anyone buying comp velo line set and putting it on standard velocity??

I can understand it from a quality control perspective. They only want people jumping their canopies in the configurations they have tested.

Imagine if someone asked for an orange Vectran lineset for their Spectre and subsequently had a fatally hard opening. The result would be bad press for PD.

An extreme example, I know, but I believe that this policy of inflexibility when it comes to jumpers experimenting with their gear is in keeping with PD's policy of thoroughly testing it's products before release.

stayhigh: I had my velo 111 relined last winter with Comp line trim from PD. It required a full inspection for approval i believe. I also have two friends who have had there velos relined with comp line set from PD. Not sure why they told you no other then your wifes canopy is not a candidate. I have also been involved in a discussion on here that the line trim measurements for both comp velo and velo are the same if you look at the line trim chart.

To the original poster: I would call PD and talk to them. They are going to give you the straight talk and have more accurate information then most replies you are going to get here.

Chris
It's Jimmy Time!!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Team-Fast-As-Fuck/6099474213

According to the line trim charts its just +3 on the brake lines, and thats all i could find when i measured my vectran lined 79 compared to a 79 comp with 500hma. I now have that 79 lined with a comp lineset and it doesn't fly like the comp 79 i got to jump for a bit, it flys like a reg velo.

You should be able to do so, not sure why pd wouldnt. Not sure if they are running longer lines or what but seems expensive unless your competing or making your own lineset. And if your going to be competing might as well get the comp and 300 hmas etc for the max performance. Regular jumping I couldn't see the need for the extra speed and extra few feet your going to get

If its the same trim specs the only thing I could see different would be the dive and recovery created by the longer lines resulting in the increased speed and distance.

There is also some posts up on here about the location of the brake loop setting and the difference in improved openings by moving it to a deeper or shallower setting.

Im confused. I thought comp velo and standard velo trim was the same. Line sets only differ in break lines by 6in on comp. the difference in canopies is in the stabilizer. The comp has a longer/wider(how ever you want to word it) one and a Different slider (RDS) So if im correct I would think it wouldn't make a difference what line set you put on your standard velo.

I just got a new line set from PD for a standard velo and request 6 in longer break lines . That's what I got.
Never give the gates up and always trust your rears!

That would be my understanding too. There's no line trim chart on pd's website for the comp velo so I would assume its the same unless line lengths different. Good luck and let us know how it flys!

Oh and I know last line set I didn't request the longer brake lines thinking there would be excess and the rigger installing could trap it to the length I wanted. They send the line sets brake lines out already fingertrapped I believe, with only enough trapping to lengthen them about 2-3 inches and still have adequate trapping so be sure you specify and get confirmation

Hey Judd,

Here's the Comp line chart from PDs website. They've had it up. I also put the trim chart for the regular velo right below it. They are, as everyone has stated so far, the same with a small difference in the steering lines.

Anyone who puts a comp lineset on their regular velo...keep me posted. The trim charts say they're the same, but I would like to see the finished lengths and whether or not they truly are the same.

Really the only reason I want to put a comp lineset on mine is because they are now selling the orange vectran lines for the comp, but my dealer called and asked if I could order orange vectran lines on my regular velo that I just ordered. THey said they were only offering it on the comp as of right now. So I figured...if theyre the same, I'll just put a season on my HMAs, then replace them with the orange vectran comp lineset at the end of the season.

http://www.performancedesigns.com/docs/linetrims/VC-071-111-Line-Trim-Chart.pdf

http://www.performancedesigns.com/docs/linetrims/VE_075-120LT.pdf

I don't know how to make them clicky.

Cheers,
Travis

They are the same. As far as the orange stuff goes i think they will only put it on at their loft and they won't put it on a reg velo. Im not 100% sure on that but i think thats their current position. I put almost 500 jumps on a reg 79 with a 500hma comp lines set this season. Flies like a reg velo.

Hey Judd,

Here's the Comp line chart from PDs website. They've had it up. I also put the trim chart for the regular velo right below it. They are, as everyone has stated so far, the same with a small difference in the steering lines.

Anyone who puts a comp lineset on their regular velo...keep me posted. The trim charts say they're the same, but I would like to see the finished lengths and whether or not they truly are the same.

Really the only reason I want to put a comp lineset on mine is because they are now selling the orange vectran lines for the comp, but my dealer called and asked if I could order orange vectran lines on my regular velo that I just ordered. THey said they were only offering it on the comp as of right now. So I figured...if theyre the same, I'll just put a season on my HMAs, then replace them with the orange vectran comp lineset at the end of the season.

http://www.performancedesigns.com/docs/linetrims/VC-071-111-Line-Trim-Chart.pdf

http://www.performancedesigns.com/docs/linetrims/VE_075-120LT.pdf

I don't know how to make them clicky.

under window too the right there is a url tab. click on that before and after link B|
Never give the gates up and always trust your rears!

Update for everyone-

Pd wont sell the comp velo lineset with orange vectran for a regular velo. Though the lines are the same minus 1/4 inch slack in c stabiliser and 1/8 inch on the LST Line.

I called them and ordered a new lineset today. We discussed the orange vectran vc lines for a velo and heres the reason they wont sell it. Though he mentioned too that they may be testing it for the velo its not cleared r and d yet. It is like them not offering vectran for a sabre only microline.

It may be in testing but is not cleared for them to sell it to regular people. He stated people that have it have said they have a vc and then done the reline on the velo and they are "not aware or liable". essentially your doing your own R and D.

He said it is not the same line material as the regular vectran also so thats part of it. But that so far it isnt available until they clear it for the velo, though the lines are the same length all the way around the material can change the opening characteristics and recovery, etc. I would assume the same for a velo as the vc

Any how thats that so if you want it tell pd or whoever orders it you have a vc and you on your own it anything bad happens after the fact. the only difference is the coating and the additonal 3 to 6 inches standard on the brake lines to toggle as requested. i couldn't order it as i just did the whole conversation with them and ill error on the safe side until the clear it for the velo. let me know how it works if you get it

Bright side is they had no problem adding 3-6 inches length to the brake lines for me so all that aside its the same minus the coating. And now without paraconcepts rings eating my lines every 150-200 jumps i'm hoping for a better outcome. good luck everyone

Not to hijack this thread, but I had to stop using my paraconcepts rings for the same reason. Brand new lines turned disgusting on my vx after 150 jumps. The rings had developed distinct grooves in the high wear areas that are both visible and detectable by touch. Very soft metal that is just wearing away on the lines. These might just be defective and likely do not reflect everyones experiences with them.

Like was stated in the last two posts, ts the rings. I pack on artificial turn not the dirty packing area at Elsinore with "95%" uv protection and in the shade. So much potential but no pride in a clean packing area. I'll put up some pics of my rings, I've sent them back and got new ones replaced once and this lineset put nice v cuts in the aluminum. Vectran and hma are too harsh for their aluminum rings. There is a reason pd doesn't use aluminum. So back to the drawing board for paraconcepts or the better original design