frost

JPX Petra - stability issues?

At 3:50 and 5:59, is that Jay jumping a Petra, or a new PD R&D canopy?

A general stab in the dark, since he's still on the PDFT, that it is a new R&D canopy. They've been known to show up with goofy canopies to different meets in the past. It also says a LOT about their skill as a canopy pilot. I've been jumping the same canopy for a long time now and I still can't keep up when they're on a canopy they've been on for a couple of hundred jumps.

Looks interesting, 9-cell x-braced, no stabilizers, and looking fast. Then again, JaMo could make a large blue tarp swoop fast.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

At 3:50 and 5:59, is that Jay jumping a Petra, or a new PD R&D canopy?

A general stab in the dark, since he's still on the PDFT, that it is a new R&D canopy. They've been known to show up with goofy canopies to different meets in the past. It also says a LOT about their skill as a canopy pilot. I've been jumping the same canopy for a long time now and I still can't keep up when they're on a canopy they've been on for a couple of hundred jumps.

Looks interesting, 9-cell x-braced, no stabilizers, and looking fast. Then again, JaMo could make a large blue tarp swoop fast.

Maybe it's just a wierd camera angle - I've not seen too many from that perspective, but that second clip looks like the canopy has a super high AoA. You can see almost the entire top skin throughout the swoop.

always good to see some new stuff - even if it never makes it to production. I loved Icarus' R&D video playlist that they released earlier this year. It'd be great to see some of PD's!

nudge nudge, Ian! ;)

I'm not really counting 9 cells on the pics/vids I've seen, but it does look a bit more than seven :S

The front of the canopy does look elliptical like the petra does.

And people where getting mad about Icarus not releasing Petra to the public just yet.

It is funny to see people beating down on Icarus just for one problem on one specific canopy, I would wait to see what they have to say first.

I have seen a lot of videos of different canopy's going to shit after hitting some turbulence.

In a few of the videos, you could see people landing while planes were taking off. I wonder if that has anything to do with it as well.

And people where getting mad about Icarus not releasing Petra to the public just yet.

It is funny to see people beating down on Icarus just for one problem on one specific canopy, I would wait to see what they have to say first.

I have seen a lot of videos of different canopy's going to shit after hitting some turbulence.

In a few of the videos, you could see people landing while planes were taking off. I wonder if that has anything to do with it as well.

The Petra is a NZ Aerosports canopy.

The Petra is a NZ Aerosports canopy.

and how is that NOT icarus!?
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

if you follow this link you will be taken to a section of nzaerosports with what appears to be a sticker on a car tthat says "ICARUS world HQ".

underneath you will find following quote:

By 1999 we set up ICARUS Canopies as an independent company in a joint venture with CIMSA Ingenieria de Sistemas of Barcelona, Spain and Precision Aerodynamics of Chattanooga, GA - USA and launched an aggressive marketing effort in the USA. Sometime later we haved managed to establish the brand as a main player both in USA and in Europe. After some time, Precision left the group and came out with their own versions of these designs. Since then, ICARUS Canopies has benefited from the technology and capabilities of both NZ Aerosports and CIMSA to develop what is surely the most advanced range of sport canopies in the market today.

so, how is nzaerosports not icarus!?
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

Um.... it's a completely separate company?

In that case, how do you explain the following:

Their Facebook page says:

The official page of NZ Aerosports: Makers of Icarus and Daedalus Canopies

and http://www.nzaerosports.com/ has the following on it:

Parachute Manufacturers and Developers - ICARUS & DAEDALUS range

Parachute Canopies consisting of twelve different performance styles ranging from the ICARUS Tandem canopy to the Daedalus JVX, the worlds leading high performance parachute canopy.

I believe that is now inaccurate (or misunderstood).

I had a talk with someone from Icarus who explained they are now two separate companies. They BOTH however have the rights to sell Icarus canopies (crossfire, etc) but they have otherwise parted ways.

Personally I've always found the whole thing confusing.
Performance Designs Factory Team

I believe that is now inaccurate (or misunderstood).

I had a talk with someone from Icarus who explained they are now two separate companies. They BOTH however have the rights to sell Icarus canopies (crossfire, etc) but they have otherwise parted ways.

Personally I've always found the whole thing confusing.

+1 on confusing.

Does this mean that there will be two types of Crossfire etc, with possible variances in material and manufacturing quality? They need to sort their messaging out online because it really is not clear.

Is the Daedalus range purely NZ Aerosports?

and i believed they were the CIMSA-guys from spain..

it IS confusing, so, whatever; all i know is that my canopy comes from down-under - it does fly pretty straight tough! :P

-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

Does this mean that there will be two types of Crossfire etc, with possible variances in material and manufacturing quality? They need to sort their messaging out online because it really is not clear.

Just note that the Crossfires made in Europe were not affected by the service bulletin.
"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen

I've seen this happen with a stardard Velo so don't kid yourself, canopy collapse for whatever reason happens.

Just curious.

When and where did you see this? How long ago? A production Velo or comp? Did it happen during a competition?

What were the conditions? Thermals? Winds? Turbulence? Is it on video?

Details please.

A very similar incident happen to me at an FLCPA meet at Skydive the Farm on a standard Velo 96.

Happened at 1200ft as I initiated the turn, was a mildly bumpy day. I recovered and landed the canopy. I put several hundred more jumps on that canopy and never had it happen again. Someone else jumped it on a new lineset and it happened again and now again several hundred jumps later, it hasn't happened again. Strange and I would say probably a turbulence issue both times.. who really knows.

The Petra is still in the R&D stage and the few pilots using them understand that.