flyingstrauss

Unbroken canopy pilot

So, is there a canopy pilot, who is considered a good pilot, maybe even top-of-the game pilot, that doesn't have rods, plates and screws in his body left from the learning process? Is it possible for someone to become a good pilot with his bones intact? And if possible, are there any living examples? I'm just curious... B|

So, is there a canopy pilot, who is considered a good pilot, maybe even top-of-the game pilot, that doesn't have rods, plates and screws in his body left from the learning process? Is it possible for someone to become a good pilot with his bones intact? And if possible, are there any living examples? I'm just curious... B|

I know a couple, nobody super famous but people who are respected by the 'top of the game' pilots

i dont want to mention any names just in case they are wierd about privacy and the interwebs

I know a couple, nobody super famous but people who are respected by the 'top of the game' pilots

i dont want to mention any names just in case they are wierd about privacy and the interwebs

Everyone knows there are no good canopy pilots from Ireland. quit lying.

Yes, there's a few out there without metal. Doesn't mean we haven't hit, just means we haven't hit hard enough and have gotten lucky.

All canopy pilots hit no matter if you're starting out or a top tier guy, and we all know we'll hit again if we continue to swoop it's a risk one has to be ok with unfortunately.

For the record I don't have any metal

Stu
Slip Stream Air Sports
Do not go softly, do not go quietly, never back down

All canopy pilots hit no matter if you're starting out or a top tier guy, and we all know we'll hit again if we continue to swoop it's a risk one has to be ok with unfortunately.

Easier to quote than rewrite.

/then again, Im just a no name monkey. :P

Yes, there's a few out there without metal. Doesn't mean we haven't hit, just means we haven't hit hard enough and have gotten lucky.

Stu

I haven't placed as high as Stu, but I don't have any metal either. I have hit the pond HARD though.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

My kid Justin Price competes at the national level and has zero metal. He's broken his back twice, but no metal was needed. :o
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

Yeah I doubt it was my son.

I'm sure he's been there when he was the tour rep for PD and if someone had showed me that small picture and told me it was him I would believe it.
And the leaping high 5 is it's exactly the kind of stuff he does.

But then he most assuredly would have been wearing a PD Tour shirt.
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

I am pretty sure I finished 9th in the nation in 2001 points-wise (Butts might have actually been 9th..) and I have only ever broken two knuckles on my right hand swooping (at the WFFC PST meet in 2003). That might seem like a lifetime ago for you new guys, but I am still hard at it at 48 years old and still jump an 80 square foot canopy.

Chuck

So, is there a canopy pilot, who is considered a good pilot, maybe even top-of-the game pilot, that doesn't have rods, plates and screws in his body left from the learning process? Is it possible for someone to become a good pilot with his bones intact? And if possible, are there any living examples? I'm just curious... Cool

I can understand why you might ask the question;
However, metalwork is not an essential part of the puzzle.
It's completely optional.

You could even argue that with the increased availability of quality training, targeted training activities and peer feedback... it's not even a badge of honour.

If you've taken a humble and reasonable approach to swooping you shouldn't need any metal.

A reasonable canopy choice - followed by mastering that canopy - only then applying that canopy and your skills to swooping.

If you have ever figured, "I can't swoop this cause it's not _________(fill in the blank)." You've already started down the wrong path and I see metal in your future.
"Any language where the unassuming word fly signifies an annoying insect, a means of travel, and a critical part of a gentleman's apparel is clearly asking to be mangled."