SethInMI

Kiting and running a 5k

I have run a Halloween 5k through my old neighborhood in years past, and I am going to do it again this year. It is a small race, but gets a few costumed runners.

I thought (of course) about going as a skydiver, but then I thought, could I make it more interesting and kite a canopy for some or all of the run.

Having only kited for 50 ft or so after landing a few times, I have NO idea if this is even possible. I am not in a hurry, but would probably run about 6 mph normally, but with a canopy I would be slower.

So some basic questions:
1. What canopy would be best for kiting at 6mph?
2. How far would a semi-fit person be able to kite it? (50m, 100m, 1000m etc).
3. Wind on the course would have to be factored in. How would I adjust for that? The obvious adjustment is only flying the portion of the course with the right wind, but how could that be stretched?

The more I think about it the less possible it seems, but I still would like someone with GL / PG / Kiting exp to chime in.

Thanks,

Seth
It's flare not flair, brakes not breaks, bridle not bridal, "could NOT care less" not "could care less".

Well, the smaller the canopy the less drag. You'd have to be sure you weren't interfering with the other runners, though.

Although, I would guess running with the rig on would be more of an issue than kiting. Do you really want to get your rig sweaty ( I know a hot day does that at the DZ anyway) and I would really worry about chaffing...
My photos

My Videos

Running downwind and keeping the thing kited would be a bitch in anything but the smallest breeze. You could tack on a little brake to keep it from overflying you, but then you've basically got a giant airbrake at 45 degrees behind you. I can see that getting knackering fast! Plus if you're using your arms to steer the wing, they're not available to help you run - not having done any distance stuff, I can't guess how much more difficult that would make it.

Other than that, I wouldn't fancy all the snag hazards of running in a street, as well as all the crap on the ground that might get on your rig if it collapses -oil, dog crap etc...

Probably not the best idea, but if you do try, get video! ;)

You would probably be better off taking a ram-air kite, cut the lines and use stiff wire to hold the canopy up over your head. Then it stays up above you and looks like a canopy to a whuffo.

A number of years ago I painted my face/hands up like a zombie (pre-zombies are cool times), put my jumpsuit and rig on and went to the local bars for the big Slut-o-ween party. It was a huge hit, lots of people yelling stuff like "next time pull the cord."

You don't have to be correct to get whuffos to get a Halloween costume.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Dammit, Dave you are so practical! I like the idea of the post no-pull look, and a small "fake" parachute would be easier, but my mental image was like this:

Find a non-airworthy small parachute (like a 69-79??) and practice kiting it to find out how I could get it up in the air and how far I could run with it.

Run with an old rig packed, reserve with styrofoam, main packed into a paper bag with a duct tape bridle. Then about XXX distance from the finish, when everyone is spread out (and be at the tail of the pack so no one is going very fast), get some bystander to PCA me, I get the canopy flying and I go for a big finish.

It would all look great, until a gust of wind knocks it over into someone passing me, they get tripped up in the lines, fall and break a tooth, and I would have to cut away so I could finish the race with a decent time.

No, not very practical.
It's flare not flair, brakes not breaks, bridle not bridal, "could NOT care less" not "could care less".