Jiggs

RDS Swivel - what do you use and where did you get it?

Good Afternoon all.

Can anyone recommend a good swivel that would be suitable for use for an RDS that is often taken to terminal? Currently I do not use a swivel with either of my rigs but am keen to put one on to save on the seemingly endless untwisting that comes after some jumps.

Does anyone have a recomendation on what sort of strength would be required for the swivel to hold up to repeated openings? Where did people get their swivels? Any recommendations on load strength? Did you get it from a fishing shop - or elsewhere?

Keen to hear on people's experiences, as at the last comp, a friend of mine used a swivel from a tackle place that bent/broke on his first jump - fortunately he could borrow a PC from another set of gear!

Cheers!
"Don't blame malice for what stupidity can explain."

"In our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart and in our despair, against our will comes wisdom" - Aeschylus

don't care about.
i re-pack with the lanyard totaly twisted.
i only do terminal opening except in comp, and it's fine.
when the linyard was too bad, about 100jumps, i change the lanyard.
with old line from a complete lineset changing,
it's around 0$, 2min.
:P

niques tout, chies d'dans...

Good Afternoon all.

Can anyone recommend a good swivel that would be suitable for use for an RDS that is often taken to terminal? Currently I do not use a swivel with either of my rigs but am keen to put one on to save on the seemingly endless untwisting that comes after some jumps.

Does anyone have a recomendation on what sort of strength would be required for the swivel to hold up to repeated openings? Where did people get their swivels? Any recommendations on load strength? Did you get it from a fishing shop - or elsewhere?

Keen to hear on people's experiences, as at the last comp, a friend of mine used a swivel from a tackle place that bent/broke on his first jump - fortunately he could borrow a PC from another set of gear!

Cheers!

Back in "the day", before collapsable pilot chutes, we used to put an over-sized grommet on our d-bag so it would slide down the bridle and collapse the slider. It worked well, but the heavy bag hanging on the end of the bridle would twirl like a prop.

The fix was easy. We used heavy salt water fishing swivels to connect the bridle to the canopy so the bridle wouldn't twist up.

http://www.tackledirect.com/samblacbalbe.html
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

Perfect - exactly what I was thinking of. Any idea's on what strength it would need to be?
What sort of force does a pilot-chute at terminal exert?

"In our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart and in our despair, against our will comes wisdom" - Aeschylus

Perfect - exactly what I was thinking of. Any idea's on what strength it would need to be?
What sort of force does a pilot-chute at terminal exert?

Can't really say, but we were jumping something similar to the swivel in the link provided and never experienced a break.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

Good Afternoon all.

Cheers!

Back in "the day", before collapsable pilot chutes, we used to put an over-sized grommet on our d-bag so it would slide down the bridle and collapse the slider. It worked well, but the heavy bag hanging on the end of the bridle would twirl like a prop.

The fix was easy. We used heavy salt water fishing swivels to connect the bridle to the canopy so the bridle wouldn't twist up.

http://www.tackledirect.com/samblacbalbe.html

Slider or PC? One makes more sense than the other, which is why I ask.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Just to close this off - I got some #8 Swivels (rated to 125kgs) and they have been working great. The larger (but not too large) sizing was perfect for running the lines through the eyelets. Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Cheers