Antoine64

downsizing question

Hello everyone.

Im new to this forum. I've been reading all the posts this summer and I've come to a question.

I've been jumping a katana 120, loading it to 1.4, since 2 and a half summer. I've done 400 jumps on it ( 250 this summer) and my 270 are gettin not so bad....

I wanted to downsize next summer, going to a Xbrace... anyone would suggest me something ?

I've heard a lot of good comments on JFX, but there is no used one for sale. Im looking for more performance, but I'm a safe skydiver, if I an say.

What would be a good canopy for me, size, type... I know you did'nt see me landing but do you think it's ok to pass from a katana 120 to a crossbrace.?

thanks in advance

just try every canopy you can, katana 107, velo 84, 79, Xfire 99, FX/VX 84, 79, Xaos21/27, Mamba, Sensei, XF15, Scirroco, etc, etc.
at this level of flight, you can not choose a canopy by "advice".
niques tout, chies d'dans...

Hello everyone.

Im new to this forum. I've been reading all the posts this summer and I've come to a question.

I've been jumping a katana 120, loading it to 1.4, since 2 and a half summer. I've done 400 jumps on it ( 250 this summer) and my 270 are gettin not so bad....

I wanted to downsize next summer, going to a Xbrace... anyone would suggest me something ?

Put a few hundred jumps on a 105-109 of some sort, do the same with a 95-99, and then start thinking about something cross-braced.

While you could jump a cross-braced canopy at 1.6 pounds/square foot you wouldn't have much fun or gain from it. Max out what you can get out of conventional canopies and if you're not content with the speed you're getting then consider changing.

The subjective differences between sizes get a lot more significant as canopies get smaller and you do not want to skip sizes getting to where a cross-braced canopy would be interesting.

Im looking for more performance

I'm sure that you'd be safe on a JFX, but if you want performance, get it from mastering your technique; not downsizing.

My advice is to max out your canopy before you switch to crossbracing. Not to mention, Xbraced canopies loaded under 2.0 are not performing at their potential.

Consistency is the key. You should be able to consistently execute a smooth turn that maximizes the speed you can get out of your canopy (incorporating both front risers and harness input). And you should be able to consistently plain out without rears/toggle input, as well as hit your gate. If you can do that pretty consistently, then you're golden.

How are your bailout techniques? Could you stab out of a turn then flat turn under 50ft?

Now, with that being said, I think a downsize wouldn't necessarily hurt. A katana loaded in the 1.6-7 range will perform a lot more efficiently than your 1.4 loading.

Cheers and safe swoops.

Thanks for the answers.

I will for sure make a couples of jumps on a smaller katana prior to go on a crossbrace. I dont want to kill myself LOL.

My questions were for after this.

Im reading a lot on Jfx and I did'nt hear some negative about this canopy. The problem is I dont think I can try one before I would buy it and I did'nt see some used one for sale yet. Is it really close to the old FX ? Is there JFX demos ? how does it works to get one ?

What would be the big difference between a JFX and A velo, for the same wing loading. Does a velo offers much more '' performance'' ( speed, dive, etc. )

Thanks much :)

Edit to add: my main interest is in distance swoop but not a sub terminal setup. I may not be ready for the best distance canopy by now but I'd like to know what would be a good progression, and on what canopy...

I will for sure make a couples of jumps on a smaller katana prior to go on a crossbrace. I dont want to kill myself LOL

That wasn't what was suggested. The idea was to put a couple hundred jumps on a couple of smaller, non x-braced canopies. This will get your WL up to where an x-braced canopy makes more sense, and get your jump numbers up to where they should be before going to a small x-braced canopy.

800 jumps is not a lot in terms of high performance canopy flight. About half of those probably had nothing to do with HP canopies or HP canopy flight, so toss those out the window. A couple hundred jumps on a lightly loaded Katana does not make you a HP canopy pilot.

Edit to add: my main interest is in distance swoop but not a sub terminal setup. I may not be ready for the best distance canopy by now but I'd like to know what would be a good progression, and on what canopy...

Like I said, the best progression would be to master consistent, jaw-dropping swoops on a Katana then move on. By the time you get awesome at swooping it, you will have enough skill to determine what style of canopy will best fit you instead of asking others for advice.

The question you asked above tells me your skill range isn't anywhere near a Xbraced canopy.

Imagine you got a Honda Civic for your very first car. You spend six months learning how to safely drive in traffic. Then, just as you get comfortable driving, some rich bastard comes along and gives you a quarter of a million dollar Lamborghini. Would you take it out and drift corners and such just becuase you know how to drive? Probably not. Because you don't want to fuck the car or yourself up.