ianmdrennan

Nick Batsh 220m Swoop Video

do you know the wind strength, and if the record could be FAI approved ?

Very admirative of the performance, I guess it will boost the creativity of wing designers, and I hope that we middle-low class pilots will benefit of the advances in soft wing technology :)

scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

I guess it will boost the creativity of wing designers

You mean it will boost PD to come up with something similar? Cause I bet it's not the most fun times in PD HQ right now after seeing Nick perform with Petra like this.. :D
"All limits are self imposed." Icarus

almost looks like he aborted due to the short "runway"! :P

Nick is impressively consistant. I believe he told the venue (his home turf) he would need more gravel at the ends. Other competitors would barely clear the pond with out getting wet, while Nick was running out of gravel on the far end.

-SPACE-

You mean it will boost PD to come up with something similar? Cause I bet it's not the most fun times in PD HQ right now after seeing Nick perform with Petra like this.. :D

I know you're really, really, really LIKE to believe this but it's just not true.

It's a great thing for pilots, from all brands, that the Petra is performing so well.

Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

I know you're really, really, really LIKE to believe this but it's just not true.

It's a great thing for pilots, from all brands, that the Petra is performing so well.

Ian

Having a canopy from a manufacture perform so well in the hands of one of the very top canopy pilots in the world is good for everybody. Just like how auto racing technology trickled down into Ian's pink Prius, the technology continues to refine how manufactures design and make their "everyday" canopies.

I'm confident that Nick would out swoop most people while flying a tandem drogue (although if he tears the top skin of his canopy after hitting a tree branch, he'll hit the water so hard it will make you hurt).

These are exciting times to be a competitive canopy pilot.:)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I know it's not the record run, but I think we can settle for a "2 meter shy" version ;)

Thanks to Steve for the upload.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mfgBDWukoA&feature=player_embedded

Not as good filming as Steve, but THIS one is the record run a full 2m longer! :o I'm sure he was just scared of flying further into the bushes so he held back a bit :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awosnEw5vUU
For info regarding lift ticket prices all around the world check out
http://www.jumpticketprices.com/dropzones.asp

Priceless view of the two blue PD guys standing in the foreground and looking (with amazement, I suppose) :D.

Yep, it's always priceless, when the one's who are used to constantly winning are being wiped out by so much.. ;)

Too bad you can't see their faces :(
"All limits are self imposed." Icarus

Priceless view of the two blue PD guys standing in the foreground and looking (with amazement, I suppose) :D.

Yep, it's always priceless, when the one's who are used to constantly winning are being wiped out by so much.. ;)

Too bad you can't see their faces :(

do you know Sangi, by any chance? Because you sure sound a lot like him.

Rigless,

Please stop trying to start a brand war. Not sure why you have such a large chip on your shoulder but every post you make is along the same lines.

Appreciate your cooperation here. We're all canopy pilots having a good time - if you spent any significant amount time around the competition arena you'd realize this.

Ian

Meters per second. Limit, according to the rules, is 7 meters per second (for reference)

Which doesn't sound like much until you have a quartering downwind to a ZA course at near competition limits...then it seems like a crazy high speed train leaning hard and with no brakes!:D
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Meters per second. Limit, according to the rules, is 7 meters per second (for reference)

Which doesn't sound like much until you have a quartering downwind to a ZA course at near competition limits...then it seems like a crazy high speed train leaning hard and with no brakes!:D

Also known as crashing with control.

Yes, I know the windstrength.
The average wind for most of the guys on the load the record has been set was a tailwind of about 4m/s. (Tailwind was not for granted as it switched between cross- and tailwind, as jumpers from load 2 might be able to tell you.) However, the very moment Nick did his longest run, the tailwind picked up to 6.7m/s. This is not me guessing, this is first hand information from the numbers written down by the judges, monitoring the windspeed at any time. I don´t know the exact windspeed for his second longest run (the video) but the blueskiesmag-flag gives you an impression. On his longest run he could have been even a bit tighter on the gate. On training day, Nick did one even longer run, with the winds being a bit over the limit that very moment.

Here are some numbers to give you an idea of how much a tailwind helps (and how much a headwind hurts):

Nick's record-breaking run lasted about 8.5 seconds from entry gate to touchdown (estimated from the video). The wind speed (according to Morris) was 6.7 m/s (22.0 ft/s). Multiplying 8.5 and 22.0 gives 187 feet which is the extra distance that the wind contributed. The same run under different wind conditions is shown below:

6.7 m/s tailwind (actual run) = 730 ft
0 m/s wind (hypothetical) = 543 ft
6.7 m/s headwind (hypothetical) = 356 ft

These numbers assume that (1) the wind speed stayed constant during the swoop and (2) the wind direction was a true downwind with no crosswind component.

Deceleration absolutely matters. Remember we're measuring distance over the GROUND so ground speed matters. Yes, airspeed is consistent regardless of ground speed, but that's not what we're talking about here.

Using 6m per second as an example: Just because you go 100 feet father (compared to no wind) in a downwind, doesn't mean you'll go 100 feet shorter (again compared to no wind) in a headwind.

Ian

I think that's only because we fly differently in different winds, Ian.

We swoop through the air, but we measure our swoops over the ground. To convert from one coordinate system to the other it's simple math, just as Dan described above. That's physics 101. Assuming the pilot does everything exactly the same on an upwind and a downwind run, the headwind will have an equal but opposite effect as a tailwind.

But, since the pilot likely will not do everything exactly the same on an upwind run as on a downwind run, it gets more complicated. Still...you can't argue that you won't go much further with a 6.7 meter per second tailwind than you would with no wind.

"Holy s*** that was f***in' cold!"