SRI85

Is removable slider worth it?

then people with 300 jumps have no business stowing sliders behind their heads?

i think pulling a cord and stuffing the slider in a pocket would be less distracting the collapsing the slider, ensuring the tabs are hooked properly, then sliding it down the risers and reaching behind my head to find a rubber band or magnetic flap.

In most cases, yes.

i think pulling a cord and stuffing the slider in a pocket would be less distracting the collapsing the slider, ensuring the tabs are hooked properly, then sliding it down the risers and reaching behind my head to find a rubber band or magnetic flap

Stowing behind my head takes me all of about 5 seconds, and requires no rigging back on the ground. For me that is a much better solution than a removable slider.
BASE 1384

i think pulling a cord and stuffing the slider in a pocket would be less distracting the collapsing the slider, ensuring the tabs are hooked properly, then sliding it down the risers and reaching behind my head to find a rubber band or magnetic flap.

Main: Crossfire 2 99 ft² (1.57 lbs/ft²) @ 350 jumps - lol - Is it possible to give this person advice that he will listen to :P

In most cases, yes.

i think pulling a cord and stuffing the slider in a pocket would be less distracting the collapsing the slider, ensuring the tabs are hooked properly, then sliding it down the risers and reaching behind my head to find a rubber band or magnetic flap

Stowing behind my head takes me all of about 5 seconds, and requires no rigging back on the ground. For me that is a much better solution than a removable slider.

My god I love this shit.

For a canopy-flight specific jump, I think a removable slider is not that big of a deal. Most likely the pilot is opening right out the door, and at slow speed.

-SPACE-

To me, there's two reasons one would want to remove their slider, as mentioned throughout this post (A) For HP Canopies/Pilots looking to reduce drag and optimize wing shape/performance.

(B) For ANY jumper who's looking to increase their visibility range and circle of awareness while under canopy.

I don't think any body should be criticized for wanting a greater field of view under Canopy, and recognition and the desire for said awareness should be encouraged regardless of experience level. Keep in mind that the highest percentage of skydiving injuries/incidents occur under functioning canopies and are mostly all related to poor awareness of surroundings, leading to canopy collisions. Having a removable slider can greatly increase the pilot's ability to more effectively be aware of what's happening in the sky around them. This especially can be beneficial for anybody venturing out to a larger dropzone, or organized events and boogies.

In saying that, it is always a good idea for anyone considering this option to discuss it with more experienced jumpers ( and i don't mean the guy who has 100 jumps more than you) and to let them know you're reasoning behind wanting to do so, as well as discuss the importance of gear and rigging with regards to the individuals specific set-up.

This is also important because, having a removable slider with a factory set short chest strap (common with Wing's containers) will allow for greater field of view, without really increasing performance because the chest strap still limits the canopies ability to "open up", where as a removable slider and a long chest strap fully loosened, would give more performance to the wing ( granted variables with sqft/wingloading.)

KNow what you want, do the research, and discuss it with the people who know a lot about it. Always make safety the number 1 priority and don't get yourself in over your head.

My 2 cents

It's just a gadget for most of us.
You can get your gear packed by almost anyone with stock slider.
Would you still use a packer with your removable slider or RDS?

I'd rather you slider locks than 3-5 minutes of rigging after every jump and a risk of dropping a 300 Euro worth essential part of my gear mid-air.B|

At 200 jumps I installed a RS it is one of the best investments to my gear yet. It requires less time to stow in the air, and provides a greater field of view while scanning for other traffic. It is no more complicated to reattach than stowing your brakes. Yes it takes a little more time on the ground but I think it's worth it. I also seems more likely that someone would forget to uncolapse their slider, than forget to put the whole thing back on. The problem is that most skydivers perceive "new" as "dangerous" when in fact it is the "old" and "complacent" that kills us most often.

I've been using a removable slider for the past four thousand skydives and I've built about forty for other skydivers to use, mainly cameramen.

A few things you should know:

The design has to be 100% secure during deployment and easy to remove with one swift movement after deployment. This is not the case with all removable sliders so be careful which design you choose.

The person packing it needs to understand how it can be installed incorrectly so they can make sure they don't make the mistakes that some people have made.

If you use packers then I recommend that you install the slider before giving them the rig for packing.

It must pack like any normal slider, don't use cable release sliders that don't bend or fold easily as they can cause problems.

The slider size has to be correct for your canopy. Two things to think about here. Is the material surface area the same size and shape as the canopy manufacturers slider, and do the grommet positions allow the canopy to spread exactly the same distance as the canopy manufacturers grommets. Basically, this is a trade off as it's not possible to have both of these. For the best deployments they should both meet half way.

The tolerance during the manufacture is extremely tight to ensure that the slider can't release prematurely, and to ensure that it does release easily when you need it. If you use a center handle that releases all four grommets at the same time then this is about five millimeters. This is one of the reasons why manufacturers don't want to put them into production and why they are expensive.

The slider needs to be used in conjunction with slider stops at your connector links, this is best done with a small solid plastic ring as a slider stop. if you use mini links with silicone covers, then you have to be aware of the wear problem that can trap a control line.

Packing shouldn't take much longer than uncocking a draw cord slider, after you've had a little bit of practice.

Check out my design at http://www.sky-science.com/Sales%20-%20Removable%20Slider.html

I've never promoted my design because making them is not profitable, the time it takes compared to what you can charge was just not worth it. Now that I see that skydivers are willing to pay the right price I have changed my mind. I will now make them if a customer wants one but only after discussing why they want one and what their needs are because a removable slider is not for everyone.

I hate collapsing sliders or trying to pull them past my toggles, or having to deal with the slider before releasing the toggles. It can all get too messy when your job during and after deployment is to keep an eye out for other skydivers.

With a removable slider the first thing I do is release my toggles and head towards the drop zone after looking around for others. I then reach up with one hand pull the slider and stick it down my jumpsuit. To me this is far safer than a lot of collapsible slider systems. The added safety in the air is balanced out by having to assemble your slider again. This can be done incorrectly.

Allan

well the performance isnt really the big deal. i just want the slider out of the way. and to have my wing reach its optimum shape.. I have a wings container and Wings wont endorse any type of stowing system on container, So my rigger wont put anything on for me. It seems like my options are either removable slider, or stay with collapsing it.

Actually, you do have another option. Instead of $300 for a removable, you can order a split slider from Para_Gear for $105. It breaks apart faster than pulling on a collapsable, great visibility, and you can loosen the chest strap to spread the canopy. I really like it for filming people under canopy. No slider above or in the front of the camera, plus nothing behind your head. I hook it back up myself before giving my rig to my packer. As far as drag, I don't know, since I don't swoop my Pilot and don't worry about it. They will make them out of ZP or F111 in just about any color you want. Just measure the outside dimensions of the slider on the canopy you are going to put it on and give them a call. I had mine in less than a week. Best of luck with whatever you go with.

too early to buy one at my experience level but it sucks a lot to have a collapsed slider behind my head.
It does restrict the abilty to look around (plus avoids the risers to spread to it's maximum).

something to consider for the future :)

Use a magnetic slider keeper.

I have one already and dont think it helps much.

do you have a pic handy ?

Sorry, don't have a picture of a split slider. I looked on ParaGears website, they have it listed, but no picture. If someone there has a 2012=2013 #77 ParaGear catalog, there is a picture of one at the top of page 191. They have carried them for years, so should be a picture in one of the older catalogs, if someone has one sitting around.

you dont have to collapse the slider before you stow it. just grab it and roll it up from the middle. and then stow it. keeps the kill lines from flapping around and saves time when packing as you dont have to uncollapse the slider.
"its just a normal day at the dropzone until its not"

All of my rigs have removable sliders. I reach up, yank the cord in the center, and stick it down the front of my jumpsuit. I've been jumping them since Joe Bennet built his first ones in like 2001/2. I have never, ever had a problem with any of mine.

After all that time are you building your own, or have you zero'd in on a specific one that some one makes. I think you recomendation would hold a good deal of weight after all of the jumps under them!
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

All of my rigs have removable sliders. I reach up, yank the cord in the center, and stick it down the front of my jumpsuit. I've been jumping them since Joe Bennet built his first ones in like 2001/2.

It was the Fall of 2001 when we built the first ones.

If you remember, we built them just in time for the money Swoop meet at the New Jersey beach.

Those first ones were pretty crude!!!

BS,
MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com