SRI85

Is removable slider worth it?

I find the removable slider easier to deal with. I'll also add that I don't like the ideal of connecting my main parachute to my rig, in any way. I used a rubber band and ball for a while. I always cut the rubberband half way through. There are other options like magnets, tabs on the risers etc.

I currently use full RDS during swoop comps/practice and the removable slider only during work/fun jumps.

Make sure if you decide to go with a removable slider that you re-install correctly while packing. The removable slider adds another element to packing.

Edit: OFFTOPIC Assuming your jump numbers canopy selection is correct, I would question your choices. A 99 at any wingloading is inappropriate for 300 jumps. /OFFTOPIC
Losers make excuses, Winners make it happen
God is Good
Beer is Great
Swoopers are crazy.

You have some restrictions when you stow the slider. There is a noticable difference (there was on my Velo 96) when you remove the slider completely. I never removed it when I was jumping my XFire, but I'd imagine that if you are dedicating time to canopy flight that you would recognize a difference with the slider completely removed on a 99.
Losers make excuses, Winners make it happen
God is Good
Beer is Great
Swoopers are crazy.

I'm looking at getting one but for increased visibility. I don't think I'll ever need to worry about drag enough to need a removable slider... :D

For increased visibility a removable slider is perfect. I bought mine for this reason and also because I sometimes got stuck with my sidemount in the stock slider. It's the best thing I bought in years. Stowing it takes less time then collapsing it and trying to get it under the skytie. When you're used to it it only takes about 1 to 1,5 min to put it back on.
Blue skies!

well the performance isnt really the big deal. i just want the slider out of the way. and to have my wing reach its optimum shape.. I have a wings container and Wings wont endorse any type of stowing system on container, So my rigger wont put anything on for me. It seems like my options are either removable slider, or stay with collapsing it.

Put a pair of Slocks on your risers to keep your slider down if you're worried about it. It is MUCH cheaper than a RDS and your rigger could do it in a few minutes.

The primary performance value of a RDS is removing the PC and the associated drag. Beyond that, removing the slider is really nice, keeps it out of your way and cleans up the view. You might be significantly better then me, but when I had 300 jumps I was still trying to figure out smooth inputs, consistent turns and getting my pattern accuracy right. Something like a RDS wouldn't have helped any of that out, except for making me feel cool.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

...The primary performance value of a RDS is removing the PC and the associated drag...when I had 300 jumps I was still trying to figure out smooth inputs, consistent turns and getting my pattern accuracy right...

+10!
niques tout, chies d'dans...

Do you still have the issue with the slider pushing against the back of your head with the slocks?

When I was running that setup, I don't remember it being that tight. Just get them put on your risers and try it out. There is no loss, now I keep them on my risers to keep the RDS rings from climbing the risers when diving (which doesn't hurt anything, but it annoys me).
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

see this reminds me of my old slider locks that sonic put on, they worked great, the other day I had my slider unhook from my rubber band stow and slide up, it was awesome...
http://www.skyjunky.com

CSpenceFLY - I can't believe the number of people willing to bet their life on someone else doing the right thing.

I'll also add that I don't like the ideal of connecting my main parachute to my rig, in any way.

There's an easy way to mod the ball and band set-up so it's not 'connected' (by much).

What you do is sew a channel along the yoke of your rig. This can be tubular nylon, or any material folded in half to make a channel. Sew it to the binding tape along the center of the yoke.

Next, take a standard ball and band, and cut the band opposite of the ball so you have two free ends. Fold the last inch over, and create a loop by sewing the end to the band, do both ends so you have two loops.

Run one end through the channel and pull it out the other end. Now use two wraps of red seal thread to tie the ends together. Now you have a ball and band with a breakaway feature, so if you pull hard enough, the seal thread will break and release the canopy.

The final step is to tack the linked ends to the channel so the whole thing doesn't rotate in the channel. Simply use the same technique you use for tacking slinks to a riser, just make sure the supertack goes only through the loop of seal thread, not any part of the band. If the supertack goes through the band, you're back to being connected to your canopy.

I'll also add that I don't like the ideal of connecting my main parachute to my rig, in any way.

There's an easy way to mod the ball and band set-up so it's not 'connected' (by much).

Or use magnets instead of the ball and rubberband setup. You can even sew it on the collar of your suit.

No, unless you are a competitive swooper.

That is quite far from the truth. A removable slider can be beneficial for non-competitive swoopers as well as for non-swoopers in some cases.

Not at 300 jumps, but, of course, the original poster will only hear what he wants to hear.

That is quite far from the truth. A removable slider can be beneficial for non-competitive swoopers as well as for non-swoopers in some cases.

Not at 300 jumps, but, of course, the original poster will only hear what he wants to hear.

Why do you say not at 300 jumps? Is it because it requires more skill than that to use or because the benefits you are thinking of do not apply at 300 jumps. Not disagreeing with you, just wondering.

I do not jump an RS, but I do collapse and stow my slider and loosen my chest strap and I have thought that an RS might be nice for the sake of improved field of view under canopy.

I agree, and not necessarily for swooping. I'm not going to see any noticeable improvement in my swoops, but if I went back jumping my full camera setup on a regular basis I would consider a removable slider. One less thing to snag. And I believe that some models can be ordered with kill lines, so I wouldn't have to remove it if I wasn't jumping the camera.

see this reminds me of my old slider locks that sonic put on, they worked great, the other day I had my slider unhook from my rubber band stow and slide up, it was awesome...

i talked to him about it this week. this is the seems like the most reasonable option.

Why do you say not at 300 jumps? Is it because it requires more skill than that to use or because the benefits you are thinking of do not apply at 300 jumps. Not disagreeing with you, just wondering.

I do not jump an RS, but I do collapse and stow my slider and loosen my chest strap and I have thought that an RS might be nice for the sake of improved field of view under canopy.

Because a $10 worth of slocks can do the trick safely and you can still use any packer.
Missrigging your RDS can kill you.

Put a pair of Slocks on your risers to keep your slider down if you're worried about it. It is MUCH cheaper than a RDS and your rigger could do it in a few minutes.

Hey out there,
do you have a pic or link to this "Slocks" never heard of that.

Thanx