phoenixlpr

Is anyone jumping a deployable speedflier canopy?

I'm sure someone has probably D-bagged one... but in line with paragliders, their line sets and trim would not make any speedwing I can think of suitable for higher speed deployments.

Yeah, direct bag and lauches a la unpacked BASE have happened plenty, but none of the gear is meant to withstand opening shock.

I have deployed several speed gliders from aircraft as well as several paragliders

What sort of speeds are we talking here? You mention the trash bag technique, so should we assume that the deployments were all from jumprun speed? If so, what type of plane?

Also, how many deployments did you put on any one wing?

Is anyone jumping a deployable speedflier canopy?

Yep it is an icarus.

Speed wings are too flat and stiletto like (elliptical) for my liking. we learned that is not the best for speed a decade ago, but they will get there eventually.

They are good for no wind days and 'kids' hills, but you cannot beat the performance of a (decent) parachute.

As the paragliders get more and more used to actually going fast and steep, we will see the speed wings become more like high performance parachutes.

My speed flying wing is an Jyro (icarus) 105 for 1993 in mint condition, the speed flyers tell me it is tiny.

To me it feels quite big...?

and yes it is deployable....
Back a hundred years ago, especially around Woodrow Wilson, what happened in this country is we took freedom and we chopped it into pieces.
Ron Paul

Speed wings are too flat and stiletto like (elliptical) for my liking. we learned that is not the best for speed a decade ago, but they will get there eventually.

Sounds like you don't really have much experience speedflying a variety of sites and conditions. No offence intended but speedflying on a skydiving canopy is like base jumping your reserve. I don't want the newbies on here to get it in their heads that this is a good idea or that experienced speedflyers would recommend it, because they wouldn't.
Life is ez
On the dz
Every jumper's dream
3 rigs and an airstream

That guy is an idiot and no one should ever believe anything he says. that video is fake and photoshopped.

you say that because you are jealous you don't have his photoshop skillz :D
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

That guy is an idiot and no one should ever believe anything he says. that video is fake and photoshopped.

you say that because you are jealous you don't have his photoshop skillz :D

Just pissed that he gets ALL the girls.
get a close shave, a wig and fake boobs then :)
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Photo shopped or not, i dont care. Why one would jump a speedflyer period from terminal or H&P is beyond be. Find it intriguing though if it were real and anyone that wants to push the sport/limits be my guest

also how the f is he at 8000+ feet (altimeter and visual reference from the video) if he didnt jump from a plane? speedflyers dont exactly gain altitude in my recolection?

You obviously know nothing of dynamic soaring. Speed gliders are very capable of maintaining energy and stability through the abusive sheer layers required for dynamic soaring. The kid in the video (an idiot) is gaining altitude so fast he broke his paragliding variometer, so he borrowed a friends skydive altimeter. He launched from a grain silo in a tornado.

also how the f is he at 8000+ feet (altimeter and visual reference from the video) if he didnt jump from a plane? speedflyers dont exactly gain altitude in my recolection?

You obviously know nothing of dynamic soaring. Speed gliders are very capable of maintaining energy and stability through the abusive sheer layers required for dynamic soaring. The kid in the video (an idiot) is gaining altitude so fast he broke his paragliding variometer, so he borrowed a friends skydive altimeter. He launched from a grain silo in a tornado.

Calvin you owe me a new keyboard.