Titanium_Gecko

Icarus Omega or Omni at 1.6/1.7 WL

Does any one have any recent experience on either an Omni or Omega at a wing loading of between 1.6 and 1.7, please?

Either in terms of your own experiences, comparable canopy performances or alternative suggestions (circa 327 cu in) etc.

I have 500 jumps on an Omega at 1.1 & 1.3 and know about Icarus's recommendation up to 1.5.

Thanks,
Gecko
www.gathhelmets.co.uk
www.flyyourbody.com

FYI
The Omega was sized wrong, they are 8% smaller than their stated size when comparing to PD canopies or the Omni. Along time ago I asked Icarus for an offical statement on this and they sent me this:

The Safire-1 and the Omega are measured differently to PD canopies. As a rough guide a Safire-1 or Omega is about the same size as the next size down - eg A Safire 149 is about a 135. A Safire 119 is about a 109. Use an equation of 8%.
The Safire-2 and Omni (Omni supercedes Omega) are measured the same as
PD.

All other Icarus Canopies are measured the same as PD.

The reason for the difference is due to Precision measuring their canopies differently. Icarus have always measured the same as PD however when we originally commenced in the USA, Precision were building parachutes for us under license and were doing it using their size equations and not Icarus/PD's.

We have therefore had to wait to supercede these models to change the size equation.

Only the Safire and Omega were affected.

Blue skies
Simon

Icarus Canopies
USA: 1S671 Bender Lane, West Chicago, IL 60185, USA
Ph. (630) 562-2735, Fax (630) 231-4430
Europe: P.I. El Ramassar, c/ Vallés, s/n O8520,
Les Franqueses, Barcelona, SPAIN.
Ph. (34) 938 496 432, Fax (34) 938 497 971
www.icaruscanopies.com
Kirk
He's dead Jim

Hey Jumpsalot,

I put 6 jumps on a Sabre 1 not long after gettiing A Certificate but then first rig had an Omega (size suiting me better at the time) and got a good deal on an ex-demo from Icarus some years later. Just happenstance, really.

I'm more interested, rightly or wrongly, in familiarity, square footage above my head and pack volume rather than any performance benefits. I only wingsuit if I can help it....lol.

However, will try to demo a Pilot ZPX say as and when I get a chance.
www.gathhelmets.co.uk
www.flyyourbody.com

Hey Jumpsalot,

I put 6 jumps on a Sabre 1 not long after gettiing A Certificate but then first rig had an Omega (size suiting me better at the time) and got a good deal on an ex-demo from Icarus some years later. Just happenstance, really.

I'm more interested, rightly or wrongly, in familiarity, square footage above my head and pack volume rather than any performance benefits. I only wingsuit if I can help it....lol.

However, will try to demo a Pilot ZPX say as and when I get a chance.

My thought was not High Performance, but just for a little plaining out at landing ( at this higher wingload ). Have Fun.

Life is short ... jump often.