jdfreefly

understanding toggle pressure

Maybe some of the more knowledgeable folks out there can weigh in here.

I'm in the midst of rehabbing from a shoulder injury, and I'm looking for something with a bit less toggle pressure than my 2.1 loaded velocity 103.

Any suggestions on canopies I should try?

What aspects of a canopy effect the toggle pressure (wing loading, shape etc..) and in which direction (increase/decrease)?

I did a jump on the velo yesterday and while I can flare it, I really think I need to switch to something easier while I get my strength back...either that or quit jumping.

Methane Freefly - got stink?

I noticed that with the old line set on my Velo 90, the toggle pressure felt quite lower than with the new line set. My old brake lines were + 15 cm longer than the factory setting. After the reline, I had them on the factory setting and the pressure felt much heavier. I really felt the difference when flying in deep brakes.
I do not say that toggle pressure was lower, but it really felt like that. Probably the higher or lower arm position plays a role in this.

I'm a bit obsessive about the length of the brake lines. Where I have it right now is right on the stall point. I'm sure if I lengthened them it would make it easier to flare, but I might not be able to stall it any longer.

I'm a bit obsessive about the length of the brake lines. Where I have it right now is right on the stall point. I'm sure if I lengthened them it would make it easier to flare, but I might not be able to stall it any longer.

Do you often stall your canopy?

Short answer; yes.

Long answer; with my hands all the way up, the canopy is in full flight. When I pull on the front risers, the tail is not deflected. And if I hold a full extension flare for a second or two the canopy stalls. I think the brakes are set correctly and I'm not looking to muck with them just because I'm not at 100% right now.

I'm just looking for something to jump in the mean time while I build my strength back. I figured some input from the people that know more about the dynamics of canopy might help me figure out some good candidates.

For those who may find this thread later and be looking for similar information...

I upsized from a velo 103 to a velo 111. The 111 had noticeably lighter pressure on the rears and toggles, but also had noticeably higher pressure on the fronts.