mircan

Neos / JFX comparison?

Here a small review about my impression on the first couple of jumps on a brand new JFX (unfortunately not my own). The size of the canopy was 87 with a wingload between 2.1 and 2.2.

Openings: All openings were smooth and completely on heading without any inputs on back risers. The openings are faster compared to a Velocity or Katana, but still soft. An the best, it’s not necessary to do something special by packing the parachute :)
Flight characteristics: At first I was surprised about the quick response on harness inputs (much faster than that of a Velocity on the same size). After a few jumps I started to love this feature. The front riser pressure is comfortable and not so high than that of a Velocity. Ok, I’m used to the pressure of a Katana, so for me it’s still high enough.

Summary: Awesome canopy with perfect openings, quick response, long recovery arc and great landing performance. It’s exactly what I’m looking for (I already ordered my own one) Maybe it’s not the ultimate swooping machine like a JVX or competition Velo, but it’s still possible to do some nice and long swoops. In my opinion the best all-round canopy that is available.

I’m looking forward to posts from other people flying a JFX which are willing to share their experience...

Thanks for the info dude :)Still, anybody knows how it compares to Neos?
Just to know what could be expected?
I did half a dozen jumps last weekend on friend`s Neos 104 (at WL2.2), which had much steeper glide than my Xfire, but on rears or brakes would still cover lots of ground. Much more responsive on harness input, much more speed and it had ton of flare. I could not bring smile of my face for the rest of the day. B|
But also, IMO, it had funky openings from terminal which is a bit of a turn off.

dudeist skydiver #42

You must have been kidding. A Pilot or Sabre2 can be an all around canopy, but not a cross braced small pocket rocket like JFX.

However..we are talking about high performance canopies. That's obviously not for everybody like a Pilot or Sabre2. If we just compare high performance canopies, a JFX is in my opinion a great all-round canopy.

...although from the video, it looks as if there isn't much bottom end and the wing loses lift quicky in the plane out - or is that not a fair assessment?

From the video, yea. But I'm guessing that it's the pilot, not the canopy. He's snapping his whole turn pretty fast and letting off the controls equally as fast. And you can't tell if there's any harness input either.

V hard for me to assess from a POV let alone critique.
Turns/approach looked varied.
The video didn't demonstrate the canopies flight range purely because it was pieced together from a combination of openings, snappy toggle turns and of course landings.
Maybe some braked flight in proximity with another canopy like a larger sabre2 would be nice way to show case slow flight capability etc.
To the original poster of the video thanks again looking forward to seeing more.
.CHOP WOOD COLLECT WATER.

During my work as an instructor I`m jumping my JFX 87 since 2 months. Do not compare the JFX with canopies like a Sabre! The JFX has the performance of a Velocity with openings of a Crossfire, always on heading. But it is very responsive to harness inputs, so it is really a high performance canopy. In my opinion the JFX is a revolution in the cross braced canopy class.

sinking out more???
thru the flight and the turn?? compare to jvx.

how else am i gonna explain???

ie, katana sinks out more than crossfire.

by the way I'm hoping that you have more than 400 jumps to be jumping jfx.

jfx feels like to me most worthless canopy out there.
Jvx cost the same and flight is much better, if you prefer sinking 7 cell Comp Velo is way superior canopy. and if one worrys about the opening so much they shouldn't be jumping cross brace.
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

The only reason that Im worried about the poenings is that I have quite a few ruptured discs. Xfire openings are fine I just dont want a caqnopy that will snap open and the JFX seems fine in the poenind dept as far as I have read. I dont have the skill level to be jumping a VX or JVX and velos can open hard if you dont wash all you speed from a track as I understand. Thanks stay high

ANY canopy can open hard. It happens.

That being said ... when you have a few more jumps, try a Xaos21. No, it isn't a new design and it won't win any swoop comps these days. But it is still a great canopy.

Are you getting everything you can out of the xfire?

That being said ... try a Xaos21. No, it isn't a new design and it won't win any swoop comps these days. But it is still a great canopy.

Interesting, anybody know how the JFX compares to the Xaos 21? I have about 500 jumps on a sweet old FX. It opens a little too hard for me at terminal but I like everything else about it. I don't have a need for the better glide of the 27 cells yet.

What do you mean when you say the JFX sinks out? Im thinking about getting a JFX WL 1.8 to upgrade from my xfire 139 WL 1.6

I think he just means the canopy descends more quickly. TBH, you shouldn't even be jumping that Crossfire / WL combo if you only have <400 jumps, much less a JFX. You really shouldn't even think about that class of canopy until you are an expert and extremely current canopy pilot.

The only reason that Im worried about the poenings is that I have quite a few ruptured discs.

Have you considered what would happen to your back if you were to impact the ground hard from, say, flying a fast, high performance canopy at a WL waaaay beyond the recommendations for your jump numbers?

I'd venture to say that the effects would be worse than all but the most horrendous of openings. Something to think about, huh?