mircan

Neos / JFX comparison?

Hiya,

I'm in exactly the same situation, looking for a successor for my Crossfire.
I had the chance to demo a Neos 99 for a week but stopped early. Of 7 jumps, 2 openings were ok, the other 5 were incredibly hard. On the last jump, I heard my neck crack and couldn't move my head without pain for the following 2 days. But I have also heard of people with softer openings, so I guess it all depends. From my point of view, I can certainly not recommend the Neos.
Actually a pity because I'm an Icarus fan and liked the flights a lot. From the few jumps I did, I'd say a mix between a Katana and a Velo.

I haven't jumped a JFX yet. I'm looking for a demo but it seems like they will be very rare in Europe for a while. Daedalus will post the dates and locations on their website.

Two reasons:
1. Velo is way too aggressive for me. I`m looking for step up from the xfire and would probably go with the Neos, but random rogue openings are a big issue.
JFX is advertised as no-hassle everyday xbraced "for camera work and even for wingsuiting".
So I`m interested in opinions of people that jumped both. How much of a step up is JFX over NEOS and/or Xfire...

2. I`m an Icarus fanboy ;)

dudeist skydiver #42

All - I can offer some limited insight to the Neos. I have about 32 jumps on a demo 99 Neos. Every jump was spectacular and that in-turn prompted me to order a new Neos. Well, after trying to resolve extremely hard openings, let’s just say I no long have the Neos… It’s back in Cisma’s hands. Personally, FAR too many reports of hard openings on the Neos to make it a viable upgrade from XF2

Subsequently, I called “MEL” (skyworks Rigging) and had a lengthy discussion about the JFX. MEL has been jumping (testing) the JFX for more than two years and he told me, and posted here as well, that the JFX was the best all around canopy he’s EVER jumped. He also stated that the JFX was the best opening canopy he’s ever jumped. Now, those statements coming from anyone else wouldn’t necessarily carry weight, but MEL is one of the most respected master riggers/jumpers in the industry. Some of the things relayed to me were; great transition canopy from XF2 (providing you possess the skills to move to a fully x-braced canopy); it’s 7-cell (21) fully cross braced (all the way to the tail) canopy; not built to be the swoop machine a JVX is; deigned to be used as an all-around, every day, every jump canopy. In fact, Tony (from Tony Suits) uses the JFX on his wingsuit jumps and I believe he too has been flying the wing for almost two years. L. Cani has also made some really positive remarks regarding the JFX as well.

If you do a search you can find some decent info on the JFX. Or, email Attila at NZ Aerosports and he’ll give you a good run down. Believe demos will be very scarce.
Don't be sexist… Broads hate that.

Two reasons:
1. Velo is way too aggressive for me. I`m looking for step up from the xfire and would probably go with the Neos, but random rogue openings are a big issue.
JFX is advertised as no-hassle everyday xbraced "for camera work and even for wingsuiting".
So I`m interested in opinions of people that jumped both. How much of a step up is JFX over NEOS and/or Xfire...

2. I`m an Icarus fanboy ;)

Thanks! I didn't really understand where these two canopies fit in relation to the Velo as nobody I know jumps them. That's helps me put a better picture together.

I hope you enjoy whatever you end up with.

Edited to add: Have you considered a Katana? IMO it is a step up from the Crossfire2. Doesn't help you being an Icarus fan though! :P
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

Have you considered a Katana? IMO it is a step up from the Crossfire2. Doesn't help you being an Icarus fan though! Tongue

By all means. If I need any kind of advice you are going to be the first person I ask. :P

Why the attitude?

It was only a well-meaning suggestion, and it was not addressed at you.
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

[replyIf you do a search you can find some decent info on the JFX. Or, email Attila at NZ Aerosports and he’ll give you a good run down. Believe demos will be very scarce.

There was a discussion here about JFX, but it was more about the "next new Icarus canopy". Still just one video of an opening (that 10k feet snivel), no in-air videos, and more so not so much testimonials except test jumpers. I thought more people jump it by now (and people like you that switched from NEOS).

And we already contacted Attila and we got the price quote :P[:/]
dudeist skydiver #42

Why not just fly jvx????
They open the same.

JVX is too much for me to handle right now.
As I hear JFX is a bit more "tame", and looks like better transition from XFire.

Still, no answers from somebody that jumped both Neos and JFX.
dudeist skydiver #42

Those of you that want your Neos to open well watch this vid and prepare for a long snivel and a beautiful opening from the center out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_83SvolUEg

:o:o:oeven my Sabre1 didn't get THAT kind of center cell stuffage...
what does Icarus say about that kind of packing ?
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Those of you that want your Neos to open well watch this vid and prepare for a long snivel and a beautiful opening from the center out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_83SvolUEg

There was a time when I was looking for a smaller canopy for swooping. I was wondering to have a Neos, but I've bought a used Competition Cobalt. By watching you packing video that seems like a good choice. CC opens nice, soft and slow without any kind of packing magic.

I've flown jvx, jfx, and old fx.
If you ask me there is nothing tame about fx vs jvx.
Fx may open more on heading, but jvx opens just as nice.
They fly about the same besides jfx sinks out lots more than the jvx, even at lower wing load, 2.2 jvx vs 2,1 jfx

Can't speak for neos, never flown one, but what i heard was that, neos flys more like katana or velo with steep flight, with very weak rear riser power.
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

Emailed with Tony and he loves his JFX opens better than his Sabre 2. In fact he said its a smashing canopy. All he does is Wingsuit now. I have wondered who would be first to come out with a working mans xbrace. They are a more stable wing in my opinion and if it flys and opens like Tony says my velo will be going away.

Just got my new JFX 87 on Tuesday. Will probably do the first jumps tomorrow. Maybe I can do a video of the opening so we have a better reference than the one that allready exists on Youtube ;)

Price was 2400 USD with black 400 HMA lineset incl. shipping.

Just got my new JFX 87 on Tuesday. Will probably do the first jumps tomorrow. Maybe I can do a video from the opening so we have a better reference than the one that allready exists on Youtube ;)

Get that video please. Looking forward to hear your first impressions. :)
dudeist skydiver #42

They fly diffrent for sure. Jvx feels like super stilleto and jvx flys like super specter if that makes sense.

Jfx improved alot from a fx, similar flight chracteristics but deeper range on rear riser and way softer openings. And front riser pressure is much manageable compared to a fx.

Flown same sized jvx 94 and jfx 94 and jfx seems like it dives little more with slightly faster turn rate, feels whippier.

I like jvx over jfx, opening isn't so much worse but yet feeling of gliding thru the sky is much more enjoyable then feeling like im sitting on escalator. They fly at same speed, if you are ready for jfx then you are ready fly jvx. They will both kill you if you turn low.
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53egmyIGb38

Did my first 2 jumps yesterday.

1 Jump:
Jumped from 3900, pulled on 2500m (no camera)
Perfect onheading opening not too slow and not too fast.
Found it twitchier than my Velocity 90 for harness, backrisder and toggle imput. Frontriser pression was less than my Velo 90. I love this quick response on harness input.

First swoop of course much too high B|

2nd Jump:
More or less jump and pull from 1500m. GoPro mounted to foot. I sticked my leg with the camera to the front to video the opening (usually a stupid idea), but the canopy still opened nearly extactly on heading. I was really surprised.

2nd swoop of too high again (of course).

Had to leave for other appointments and left my rig at the dropzone for some others to test. They were all amazed about it. Think Attila will soon get some new orders ;-). My canopy seems to have became a demo canopy :ph34r: