DocPop

Do Velocities "fly big"?

Why not go to a PD event and try to demo a V120?

the Vengeance 120 is no longer available for demo.

V = Velocity ;)

besides that, does a velo at roughly 1.6 even make sense? does PD recommend that?
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Why not go to a PD event and try to demo a V120?

the Vengeance 120 is no longer available for demo.

V = Velocity ;)

besides that, does a velo at roughly 1.6 even make sense? does PD recommend that?

Probably not... I got offered a borrowed velo 120 (@ 1.3-1.4 at the time), I declined so haven't actually tried a underloaded velo myself. I do know my vengeance 135 now flies and most notably opens way better than back when I weighed a good bit less and loaded it only @ 1.1-1.2. Now I'm @ 1.4-1.5 and it behaves much better all round.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

PD website says Velocity is fine down to a wingloading of 1:1.

I still don't believe they would let me demo one at my jump numbers.
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

Do Velocities "fly big"?

I first heard the term 'Fly big' in reference to JVX's when the first hit the market, more specifically the sail cloth models.

I beleive the term means that a JVX compared to another type of crossbraced canopy of the same size will produce more lift and therefore one should consder a size smaller, as the same sized JVX comaperd to a velo would produce more lift which equals more drag and a shorter recovery arc.

Some will say a velocity will dive more so is more efficient which is true to a certain extent when you condiser the manoever we do to make a high performance landing. I beleive this is why JVX's and velos still produce similar results.

JVX's produce more lift due to having a more efficient (thinner, more rigid, no stablisers and possible stiffer material) airfoils.

So I would say no, velocities do not fly big compared to a JVX of the same size but yes if you compare a velocity to a crossfire (or any other non crossbraced) of the same size.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

PD website says Velocity is fine down to a wingloading of 1:1.

I still don't believe they would let me demo one at my jump numbers.

some say that crossfires only really start kicking ass @1.8+, and it doesnt make really sense flying one before. some say that's not true. i tend to believe the first group if that matters. so i kinda assumed since a velo is xbraced, same sort of thinking would apply.

@dragon: at 1:1, that would make a nice student-canopy! :P
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

I have no idea how any canopy flies above 1.6 but I was just answering your question that, yes, it is within PD's recommended limits.

In the Velocity flight characteristics document they mention "as long as you are >1:1" more than once.
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

I have no idea how any canopy flies above 1.6 but I was just answering your question that, yes, it is within PD's recommended limits.

In the Velocity flight characteristics document they mention "as long as you are >1:1" more than once.

i didnt read it, just thought i'd throw the question out there.

someone once said to me: "canopies all land and flare the same way, with some it just goes much faster!"

the guy was probably right! :)
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

Sure it makes sense. There is no NEED for the benefits a xbraced provides when at a lighter WL... But it makes tons more sense to lightly WL a Velo as a stepping stone than skip it and go right to a high WL.

As for if they will let you.. That's why I said go to an event where PD is at. I doubt they would send you one, but if you sit and talk with a rep, let them see you land your current canopy.... Etc, they may let you demo one on sight.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I might be off by miles but didn't Rob Harris died due to a intentional cutaway?
If I remember right, he had a 3rd canopy connected to the main canopy risers and by mistake he cutaway the main canopy (which was still in the container). Following this, the main began to be extracted by the inflated 3rd canopy in a fucked up fashion, tearing the container appart and rendering impossible for him to use the remaining reserve.
Lock, Dock and Two Smoking Barrelrolls!

I might be off by miles but didn't Rob Harris died due to a intentional cutaway?
If I remember right, he had a 3rd canopy connected to the main canopy risers and by mistake he cutaway the main canopy (which was still in the container). Following this, the main began to be extracted by the inflated 3rd canopy in a fucked up fashion, tearing the container appart and rendering impossible for him to use the remaining reserve.

I don't recall the exact details, but it was something like that. I do remember that he was filming a Mt Dew commercial where he played a James Bond type character, and all of the rigging was hidden beneath a tuxedo.