jrjny

How is speedriding any different from...

maybe that's because there's about a gazillion paraglider-pilots and only a "handful" of skydivers!?

as for switzerland, that's about 30'000 PG-pilots and only around 1000 skydivers IIRC.
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Paragliding training is probably going to be more applicable to speedflying than skydiving since it teaches you how to launch properly.

That's true, but it's really not as hard as you might think... If you can kite your canopy, you can easily launch it... Not that it's the safest activity to get into...:) But there's not to many hardcore bowlers here, so...

Speed Riding (1st Attempt)
Speed-Flying / Ground-Launching (At about 50 flights and 150 Skydive Landings)

I used the same Safire2 169 loaded at about 1.3 for all my ground launches and the last 100 skydives.

Yeah dude..
The heroes may have a point on what they are saying.
GL on a ski slope with a snowboard, kids and not that much experience is very bad. Actually with experience its very bad all so, snowboard has sharp edges and you have a couple of variables in the road.
But i m not here to put you down in anyways just to give you a couple of tips to make you flying a bit safer.
Launching - Nice!
You had the canopy up and flying on headwind.
Everything else after that very very dangerous in that terrain!!
Like all parachutes you only use the toggle brakes to stop the chute from going forward! Not to get it flying!
Speed is the key in launching. If you launch a skydive chute safely you need 3 things, headwind(a little), speed and front risers.
Get the canopy up and flying like you did and steer it with the fronts, then pull the fronts down (not all the way down :) ) and run like hell down the hill and when its starts to feel like you have enough gound speed RUN SOME MORE!!
Then gently lift the risers up and go to the rears or toggles.. Just a little bit if you use toggles.
And LEAN FORWARD on the rig!!
I saw you had your slider attached to your chute and it was loose. Wery very baad. Take it off. It has a lot of drag on it. All so loosen up your chest strap and remember to get some speed (toggles up) before you land/flare the canopy and make a normal 2 stage skydive flare.
Just to give you a couple of pointers not to bash in anyways.
Nice video, fly safe! :)

Ps. If you know how to design a harness.. You probaply know how to remove the slider.. in your case i would go with the skydive rig cuz thats what skydive chutes are designed for.

Here are some more appropriate speedflying canopies to be talking about using in this sport:

Gin
- Nano
- Bobcat
- Yak

Ozone
- Bullet
- XT 16

I would also recommend upgrading your harness to one with an airbag and back protection.

SPEEDFLYING WITH PROPER GEAR AND INSTRUCTION = high probability of injury

SPEEDFLYING WITH PROPER GEAR AND INSTRUCTION = near certainty
Life is ez
On the dz
Every jumper's dream
3 rigs and an airstream

I used to subscribe to your school of thought also, however, the paragliding community is making leaps and bounds year in and year out and will surpass the GLX in no time.

not a chance gc......they are making no developmental differences in their wings except to go smaller with more plastic in the nose.
GLX is the supreme wing available. Soaring, ripping et al

I used to subscribe to your school of thought also, however, the paragliding community is making leaps and bounds year in and year out and will surpass the GLX in no time.

not a chance gc......they are making no developmental differences in their wings except to go smaller with more plastic in the nose.
GLX is the supreme wing available. Soaring, ripping et al

Arguable.

GLX is a hell of a wing if one can handle it, but it does not fit my venue or most others readily available in the rockies.

In the Alps I would like to have my JVX. In most of the US I am much happier on a miniwing. There really is two different sports we are talking about here. Speed flying, ripping down stuff on irresponsibly small gliders. Then there is speed flying, hike and fly shallow lines that cannot even be navigated or launched on anything smaller than a 12m mini wing. Same name, different things.

-SPACE-

BG:
you know I love flying my GLX and have for years, but the PG style wings open up different terrain while keeping speed up, the spitfire and hell raiser have some pretty cool tech cards. I am looking forward to the future!

Isn't it amazing how far it has come in the last 5 years?