castrodavidd

-Branched Castrodavid's discussion on swooping

OK, so you're an airplane pilot. What does that have to do with flying a canopy?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I also used Novaks checklist before downsizing.

You did all of that in the few jumps that you put on each of your canopies?

http://www.dropzone.com/...post=3917927#3917927
Have you 'passed a canopy piloting course prior to each downsize and durring swoop progression'?

Ok, so you know how to use google. I just want to thank you for putting a link to site which I have to pay for and has a bunch of personal iformation on.

If you read my previous post you would see that I havn't downsized untill now. I used his checklist prior to downsizing from my 190 to my 169.

How about starting with something simple like traffic patterns and traffic flow. Or maybee about having an understanding of aerodynamics. What about Newtons laws or how lift is created. There is no way that the hand eye cordination of flying airplanes and helicopters could possible relate either. Not to mention critical decision making skills in stressfull situations. Nope none of this could translate at all.

I have been told so many times that its just not the same, and most for the dumbest reasons like "well an airplane has power so they fly different." If you cant correlate your knowledge from one aspect of your life to the next then you realy havent learned the subject.

If you take my 1800 hours of flying it would still be more time in the air than a 10,000 jump skydiver. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying i'm any near that good of a canopy pilot. Does any of that experence translate to swooping probally not. Where it does come into play are the some of the things I mentioned earlier. ie. normal traffic pattern and landing, identifing hazards, aircraft spotting, knowing if you can make it back from a long spot.

I think you might get some traction if you'd done your 150 jumps in like 3 months, had spent many of those jumps focussed on canopy flight by doing clear and pulls at altitude, had a coach or mentor the majority of the time and displayed a clearer understanding of the issues.

You may well be an exceptional canopy pilot but keep in mind that people are only trying to stop you becoming an exceptional statistic. Get coaching, do a canopy course please don't hurt anyone around you (I mean you too). I'm on a relatively high loading myself but am where I am with the support of several experienced jumpers who mentor me and my S&TA.

I think you might get some traction if you'd done your 150 jumps in like 3 months, had spent many of those jumps focussed on canopy flight by doing clear and pulls at altitude, had a coach or mentor the majority of the time and displayed a clearer understanding of the issues.

You may well be an exceptional canopy pilot but keep in mind that people are only trying to stop you becoming an exceptional statistic. Get coaching, do a canopy course please don't hurt anyone around you (I mean you too). I'm on a relatively high loading myself but am where I am with the support of several experienced jumpers who mentor me and my S&TA.

Trust me if there was any way possible I could do 150 jumps in three months I would. I dont think the DZ that I had been jumping at did 150 loads in the last three months.

That was also kind of the point of me staring in on this thread, because I went to a large DZ and they wouldn't let me jump or get coaching because of my wing loading.

I figure I have about five to ten years left of wanting to go fast, after that I'll be to old to run them out.***

If you have to "run them out" you might not be doing it right. Increasing wingloading probably won't increase your skill level.
Sometimes you eat the bear..............

I too was about to say something about this.
In five to ten years and if you regularly skydive, 200+ jumps a year than you probably won't have to run them out.
I hope to see an old pilot under x-brace kicking youngster's ass
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

Im pretty sure that nascar driver knows how to drive a golf cart..

You kidding right. Yow are comparing a golf cart to a canopy. A golf cart can't kill you nor anyone one else. Comments like this are the ones that I find a joke here on the internet. Someone that doesn't know any better might actully listen to you.
Never give the gates up and always trust your rears!

Im pretty sure that nascar driver knows how to drive a golf cart..

You kidding right. Yow are comparing a golf cart to a canopy. A golf cart can't kill you nor anyone one else. Comments like this are the ones that I find a joke here on the internet. Someone that doesn't know any better might actully listen to you.

There are a few people from several DZs that may disagree with you on the whole "safety of golf carts" topic.

i was waiting for someone to say this,
Golf cart kills more people yearly than any canopy accident combined.

speed wise
if 747 jet wing is nascar
3.0 wingloaded x-braced is a golf cart.

Im pretty sure that if you know how to fly with an muilti jet engine rating, you can figure out how to pull down a toggle and sets of risers.

Every pilot that i know jokes about how simple and premitive the canopy flight is compare to what they've been flying.
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

I refuse to believe a professional airline pilot could be so delusional as to believe his aircraft training makes him an expert canopy pilot with all of 15 jumps a year for a decade. But the more this guy posts the less he looks like a troll so I guess I'm wrong.
http://www.mixcloud.com/prajna
http://vimeo.com/avidya

I refuse to believe a professional airline pilot could be so delusional as to believe his aircraft training makes him an expert canopy pilot with all of 15 jumps a year for a decade. But the more this guy posts the less he looks like a troll so I guess I'm wrong.

UM, Please read post. No where have I said I'm an "excelent canopy pilot." All I have said is I believe I can fly my canopy at my wing loading without harming myself or others. Do your homework!

Wow Kids now a days.....Must be a hot chick he wants to impress....Hey I have a 75 Vx you can jump....

WOW great assumption, the only problem is I'm married with two daughters and skydiving is my way to get away from the B.S. of females.

So take it easy for the sakes of your wife and kids,It would be hard for your wife to explain to your kids that your not there cause you wouldn't listen to people that have more experience than you.Swooping isn't going anywhere....Take your time.

UM, Please read post. No where have I said I'm an "excelent canopy pilot." All I have said is I believe I can fly my canopy at my wing loading without harming myself or others. Do your homework!

You want to fly an elliptical canopy loaded at 1.5 with 150 jumps. The only way this could approach being a reasonable decision is if you are the best canopy pilot in the world with 150 jumps. How do you think you stack up?
http://www.mixcloud.com/prajna
http://vimeo.com/avidya

You want to fly an elliptical canopy loaded at 1.5 with 150 jumps. The only way this could approach being a reasonable decision is if you are the best canopy pilot in the world with 150 jumps. How do you think you stack up?

The fact that you are not able to do or you do not dare to do something does not mean anything about him. Survival is not just about experience, but also luck and attitude. You might pick up some experience with 250 jump, but that might do a little about your attitude and luck.

An extraordinary pilot is one who never has to resort to extraordinary skills to get out of an extraordinary situation. B|

I don't know I don't skydive to compete with others. It's for my benifit no one else.

Why don't you show this thread, and the other one you posted in so many times http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=3892714;page=1;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;mh=25; to one of your good pilot friends, or maybe to your wife, and see what they think?

In skydiving, like flying, 1 in 1000 isn't nearly good enough, unless you are only doing a handful of jumps.

Why don't you show this thread, and the other one you posted in so many times http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=3892714;page=1;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;mh=25; to one of your good pilot friends, or maybe to your wife, and see what they think?

In skydiving, like flying, 1 in 1000 isn't nearly good enough, unless you are only doing a handful of jumps.

I told this guy that a wing loading of 1.3 under a semi-elliptical wing was too much for his experience level.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3610363;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

Injuries sustained: Two crushed vertebrae (L3 & L4), a few more mildly fractured ones (L2, L5). Dislocated my left ankle & fractured it in 3 places. Dislocated right pinky toe (if theres a god, he clearly has sense of humor).

I used to dislike being right in these situations until I realized that only one of my friends had been back to the orthopaedic surgeon under an even smaller parachute and no one who'd broken themselves came down with a terminal case of stupidity.