Brumby

When Swooping Do You...........?

Are you saying you shouldn't already know your altitude before you see it on your altimeter?

What is the difference between 'reliance' and 'over reliance' on an altimeter?

I think we're kind of saying the same thing. However, my question is this. How do you know when your altimeter isn't telling you correct information? What's the plan when you realize it's not?

I do think too many jumpers rely on the altimeter more than their visual cues. I assume this because I've seen too many jumpers freaked out by the idea of making a skydive without an altimeter.
"Any language where the unassuming word fly signifies an annoying insect, a means of travel, and a critical part of a gentleman's apparel is clearly asking to be mangled."

Are you saying you shouldn't already know your altitude before you see it on your altimeter?

I'm saying you should have a good ballpark. Ie, I'm above 1000 ft (it could be 1400).

What is the difference between 'reliance' and 'over reliance' on an altimeter?

To me, it's the difference between. "I can't swoop without my neptune" vs "I prefer having my neptune when flying my pattern because being 100 ft off really changes the way I would start my turn".

think we're kind of saying the same thing. However, my question is this. How do you know when your altimeter isn't telling you correct information? What's the plan when you realize it's not?

I think so too, or at least we're close. Digital altimeters, when used for turn height, are good for giving you an idea of what to expect. That said, Throughout the turn it's eyeballs only, confirming that things are (or aren't) going to plan/expectations.

do think too many jumpers rely on the altimeter more than their visual cues. I assume this because I've seen too many jumpers freaked out by the idea of making a skydive without an altimeter.

Agreed. Again, for me it's about precision. Having a digital altimeter, under canopy, helps me have far more precise altitudes and timing.

After all, a good swoop is entirely about the setup :)
Blues,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

I think so too, or at least we're close. Digital altimeters, when used for turn height, are good for giving you an idea of what to expect. That said, Throughout the turn it's eyeballs only, confirming that things are (or aren't) going to plan/expectations.

Just like Ian says, it's not just the initiation altitude, You need to be able to judge whether things are going ok in the middle of the turn as well.

Even though the digital altimeter would give you exactly the same altitude every time for initiating your turn, sometimes you just get the canopy diving more, turn a bit slower, the conditions have changed...and you'll end up in a situation where you need to move your hands to the rears and hurry for the level out already during the last 90 deg of your turn, and if you don't, let's hope you realize to stab the brakes when coming out of the turn soooo low.

There's a big difference between swooping like:

1. OK, we got good initiation altitude, TURN!!!!!, (...not watching down...maybe eyes closed ;-) brains turned off etc...)....and after the turn.....let's see what we got this time, time to save yourself or to hide yourself because of levelling out in 100ft?
...or you're just doing those nanosecond 270's (from 350ft maybe) that'll surprise you every time, especially that one time when it happened to be just right, it was so scary, but boy what a speed!

2. OK. we got good initiation altitude, start the dive/turn, watching down and where you're going...ok it looks like I'm going a bit low...need to speed up the rate of turn a little.....ok it seems I need to speed it up a little more....looks good, turn stops hands on rears...ooo..it seems I did the turn so fast I only need a quick touch on the rears to level out...
Having this kind of approach for example being too low is rarely noticed just suddenly, but usually well before it even becomes a problem.
:P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GslAT7_TjpY&feature=related

For the original poster. Here's a good example why you should use your eyes and if you use an audible when your audible starts screaming if you rely on it stop turning, Even the most experineced people take a tumble sooner or later. Everyone comes out slightly low eventually its how you recover, theres always the next load

Here's a good example why you should use your eyes and if you use an audible when your audible starts screaming if you rely on it stop turning

You've not used an audible I take it (or use it in a different way than intended). I start my final when my audible starts to beep continuously (like in the beginning of the video). Its when it stops beeping (like in the video before he turns) that I have passed the initiation altitude and either have to increase the speed of the turn or simply abort. Then in the middle of the turn it "thinks" I'm in freefall and it really starts to scream the final warning sound, but it would be a bit silly to stop there.

Of course I look at the altimeter as well as the gate before I start the final and I keep looking at the gate during the final/turn (but never look at the altimeter after I've started).

I've only been at one competition over water and I found it near impossible to see if I was high/low so there I had to ignore my eyes when starting the final.