flytrybe

info about Dubai

The list of participants (http://www.emiratesaviation.org/AAAA%20DUBAI%202011/FINAL%20STATUS%2030.12.2010.pdf
) shows a total of 12 US pilots. Eight of them are listed as "USA CP" and four are listed as "USA CP TEAM", with the last group having an "x" under the the CP column.

Anyone on the inside has any idea how to (correctly) read that list? What's the story this year with the money eligibility and US team selection process? I find it difficult to understand - some of the names not of the "USA CP TEAM" should have been there. Team Manager's decision?

The team selection was done by Larry Hill at Skydive Arizona. He used the rankings from the 2010 USPA Nationals. I don't know what is the difference between "USA CP" and "USA CP TEAM" but it looks like the latter contains the top 4 pilots. It looks like a mistake that my name is there and it is probably because I was selected to replace Tom Dellibac. Based on the Nationals results it should be Kevin Love.

I don't know what is the difference between "USA CP" and "USA CP TEAM" but it looks like the latter contains the top 4 pilots

If i am not mistaken, USA CP TEAM will be eligible for the prize money. The others will not be.

Good luck in Dubai, Dan!

The team selection was done by Larry Hill at Skydive Arizona. He used the rankings from the 2010 USPA Nationals. I don't know what is the difference between "USA CP" and "USA CP TEAM" but it looks like the latter contains the top 4 pilots. It looks like a mistake that my name is there and it is probably because I was selected to replace Tom Dellibac. Based on the Nationals results it should be Kevin Love.

Aren't cheesy poofs a banned item in that country?

(Good luck!)
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

So who is everyone picking to win this "little" event? Here's my picks:
Speed: Greg "GW" Windmiller
Distance: Nick Batch
Accuracy: Christian "Wuzzi" Wagner
Freestyle: Jeffro
Overall: Marat (home field advantage ;) )

let the games begin

Slip Stream Air Sports
Do not go softly, do not go quietly, never back down

Good luck to the US team and hope that no one gets arrested for violating Saudi Arabia intensely strict laws. ;P

I'm no expert on the middle east, but what does the laws of Saudi Arabia have to do with Dubai which is a part of the United Arab Emirates?

let the games begin

Your picks seem to me very good! But to choose the same would be boring, so here I go:
Speed: Marat
Distance: Nick
Accuracy: Jay
Overall: Jonathan

let the games begin

Your picks seem to me very good! But to choose the same would be boring, so here I go:
Speed: Marat
Accuracy: Jay
Overall: Jonathan

What, Marat got some "flying-moose-knuckle-pants" as well?

:D

What, Marat got some "flying-moose-knuckle-pants" as well?

Maybe, you never know - but he doesn´t seem to be the type of guy who wears ´em in public, so he´ll be doing it with brute force!
Dave, we are waiting for your picks!
Tipp: How about Nick winning Freestyle?

Nick can throw some excellent freestyle, but Jeffro is in a special class of smooth when it comes to freestyle!

Speed: G-dub
ZA: JaMo

King of bringing a smile to everyone's face: Marat!

well looks like i was wrong about distance, GW takes home gold. lets see what else i will be wrong about

The scores, to me, have been surprising, with an interesting rotation of names in the listing.

And yes, congrats to G-dub for the distance win!

Most of the top names are the same, but there have been some bad runs (for whatever reason). I do like seeing Warren's name up there on the ZA scores. I'm very excited for him.

The overall standing scores are interesting (as of right now, with a couple of rounds not complete) due to some of the champions of the sport pulling out good standings even with low scores in some events. I really wish I could have been there to watch!

All in all this is an example of why I'm drawn to competitive swooping. The complexity of the events with the scoring, leaves someone who may have had a bad run a fighting chance to do well elsewhere. That and the individuality of the overall event. You go out to do the best you can do, it doesn't matter if someone scored a 90 on ZA, you can only do as well as you can do.