virgin-burner

anybody got word about a new icarus canopy!?

Mike,
I actually have a 120 for myself.

I am loading it at about 2.0-2.1 out of the door.
At that wingloading it is a pretty forgiving canopy for a Xbrace.

I first would suggest staying with the Xfire until you have at least 500-600 jumps on that canopy.
If you are already at that point, and have a level head, then yes it could be the next step up.

This canopy needs to be loaded at least 1.8 to work as designed.Just keep that in mind.

Cheers,
MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com

I actually have a 120 for myself.

I am loading it at about 2.0-2.1

Gee, you are a big boy?
;)

Commenting on your earlier post about the steeper trim, I did a bunch of jumps on an older alpha 110 with extra links added to the rear risers. It performed really well. I removed them and there was a significant difference in flight performance, less agressive and more glide...

I was considering adding links to the front of my speed flying canopy which is an old 'Jyro' (brand) Icarus (model) 105 from 1993, it has an incredibly steep trim and is a very agressive canopy for its size and age.

I didn't mind jumping the alpha as I could check it performance up high with riser input etc. but speed flying is not a place to do this. I guess I have to borow a bigger container and chack how the Gyro Icarus ( gets confusing I know) performs with a flatter trim.

I have to agree with Ian that playing with the trim can be a bad idea, but this is how development occurs, eh.

I have asked pilots of speed flying wings (bullet, nano etc.) how they respond to front riser input, I am yet to meet one that has tried, instead they do quick rotations to keep proximity to the ground that freaks the shit out of me...

Anyhoo, I can't wait to see/try new JFX will be interesting to see how they perform compared to a Velocity.

There was always the argument that the extra 2 cells of a VX/JVX etc. was outweighed by the extra drag of extra lines... it will take time for pilots to master this canopy though.

In your experienced opinion, is a JFX similar construction to a JVX with less cells, or is it more like a crossbraced crossfire?

I would say he latter from looking at your photo.

Exciting news, well done Jyro and crew.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

I have asked pilots of speed flying wings (bullet, nano etc.) how they respond to front riser input

Mostly by collapsing the nose. They re-open almost instantly when you release the riser (my Nano does at least), but it is scary so close to the ground.
So on a a speedriding wing, it's better to leave the nose alone...

Anyhoo, I can't wait to see/try new JFX will be interesting to see how they perform compared to a Velocity.

There was always the argument that the extra 2 cells of a VX/JVX etc. was outweighed by the extra drag of extra lines... it will take time for pilots to master this canopy though.

Exciting news, well done Jyro and crew.

hey rhys there has been a few demo jfx down here over the past 3 weeks 79 88 92 sizes. Most of the guys jumping jvx have had a go. Impressions are that it seems to dive slightly more and seems faster through the dive than a similar sized and loaded jvx but loses the speed and lift way quicker. The rear risers are not as versatile either. Both 79 jvx and jfx were side by side coming back from long spot jfx was struggling to stay up with jvx.

There is a 79 velo down here too and that dives more than the 79 jfx.

Its a really nice canopy and fun to fly and land its just the jvx is better ;-) Although you can get some really good landing off the jfx :)
I wouldn't swap my jvx for one but would be happy to fly one no worries.

Hey Vimes,

Thanks for the info, I can't wait to try one. Would you say the velo gets alot more glide than the JFX? or similar. say coming back fom a long spot...

The difference in dive could be made up in a turn. Velos dive more than JVX's but extra lift will pull you out of a dive sooner also. I am very interested in the performance differences between the JFX and the velo as they are quite a comparable canopy...

I don't see why your buddy would not want a JVX as a work canopy?
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

That all depends on one's ability to pull and stay stable.
J Tagle, was jumping 74 velo on wingsuit record jumps. Some of them with full rds no problem.

Luigi was jumping jfx 7eventy something for the wing suit record and had no problem all week long.

Then again on same day I saw one having trouble with 170 specter all week long. so go figure

I've only packed JFX and never jumped one, but by packing it, I found out that rib height is way shorter than fx, or xaos, but taller than velocitys, and this jfx did not have any stablizer. Cooning and rolling stage felt alot more like velocity, much less fabric to deal with than fx or xaos 21s.
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

Vimes, when comparing different types of canopies you need to be careful about sizes. A 79 JVX is not comparable to a 79 Velo. The JVX "flies bigger" so it is more like a Velo 84 or a Velo 90.

I suspect the JFX sizes align better with the Velo sizes since they are both 7-cell designs.

The buddy who doesn't want jvx as work canopy is his personal choice, there are about 10 of us here who have varying sized and material jvx as work canopies. All he wants is to do a nice 270 for landing doesn't really care about swooping as a sport, he liked the jfx as a work canopy because of the openings and it is a nice canopy to fly he might change his mind he has nothing against the jvx though he just seen 4 years worth of openings and chops etc and he thinks it not for him.

I have an 84 jvx zp for a work canopy for 4 years packed by company packers and have had 1 chop, there is nothing wrong with it, used for camera and aff no worries :)
About the sizes I realised that after I posted:S there is also an 84 velo here to and it dives more than the 79 jfx.

Over the past few weeks we have had the jfx screaming it a really nice canopy, the general opinion is though that the jvx is better, but hey we all might be biased though as we all have jvx;)

i still have a safire2, and i'm pretty happy with it; as things got more "progressed", i was thinking of an XF, but honestly, i still think the saf is the better choice, not only from a performance-variable, but also from my own experience and what-so--not-level.. :D

so, if anybody wants to go xbraced, what would you recommend, a velo, or a jfx, then!?

“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Looks like someone put their slider on wrong.

looks like an RDS, doesnt it!?

Indeed it is, but you still have to put the slider on correctly for it to work properly, other wise you end up with what happened to the jumper in the video.

just a quick observation, the video further up of the jfx that snivels like - forever; wouldnt it be wise for someone to testjump a new canopy, like the p3 (i assume) to be otherwise complication-free? as far as i know, rigging up any kind of RDS's has a tendency to go wrong, at least, every now and then. why put one on a canopy that's in it's testing-phase still!?

just asking..
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda