virgin-burner

anybody got word about a new icarus canopy!?

with all the comments i've been reading, there might be something new in the sky that a lot of people will like; there's rumours that there has been something COMPLETELY different in the making, too! but, that's just rumours i suppose.. ;)

probably will take me another couple years to get there anyway, but still a good topic to be chatting about! :)

“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

i really wouldnt have a clue, but from a commercial point of view.. probably in the middle of it!? if you count in actual work, material that goes with it.. probably a little higher than an FX, since it's newer, not as much as a JVX coz it needs less material..!?
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Crazy Larry is jumping one, as is Luigi, Tony U. and myself.

This canopy had been in development for quite sometime before it was offically released.

Just some quick points about the canopy:

1. It has a more controlled opening than any canopy I have ever jumped. Period.

2. The canopy has a larger range than a Crossfire II.

3. It can be swoop machine if you want or can be the everyday, all purpose canopy for someone wanting to step up a little over a Crossfire II.

4. For people worrying about cost, the canopy can (like mine) be lined with 600 lb Technora for a longer lasting line set.

I have attached a photo of a JFX-99. It belongs to Pete Langehans and is a copy of my canopy.

If someone needs more info and/or pricing, just contact me directly.

Cheers,
MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com

i really wouldnt have a clue, but from a commercial point of view.. probably in the middle of it!? if you count in actual work, material that goes with it.. probably a little higher than an FX, since it's newer, not as much as a JVX coz it needs less material..!?

When talking about a new product, the price for the materials and the labor is only one part of the end price of the product. Don't forget about the R&D costs ;)

Blue skies
"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen

So similar in performance to a Katana then?

Negative.

Disclaimer here.....IMHO:

The Katana is merely a Crossfire with a Higher angle of attack.

In other words, if you own a Crossfire and install a #6 link in between the standard link or soft link and the rear riser, you will get Katana like performance .

The JFX is a notch just above that type of performance.

Think both faster and also slower than the Katana and Crossfire.
The openings and slow flight performance sold me right off of the bat.

You can always make a canopy go fast, but it is hard to get one to do basically fast and slow flight well.

The NZ boys did it right with this one.

True story... one guy jumped my canopy one time and ordered two identical canopies at the same time.

You just have to jump one to understand the differences.

MEL

The Katana is merely a Crossfire with a Higher angle of attack.

That's as ridiculous as saying "The JVX is just a velo with more cells"

They're totally different designs!

Anyway, I'm stoked to hear such positive things about the JFX (I heard rumblings earlier in the year it was a good canopy).

More competition drives us all forward - so, onward and upward!

Blues,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

You just have to jump one to understand the differences.

Thanks for your reply (I am a long way off jumping anything cross-braced).

I have jumped a similar sized Katana and a XF2 and the Katana seemed a lot more responsive than the XF. It is hard to explain why, but it just seemed to do everything faster and more positively IMO.

So the JFX maybe fits between the Katana/XF group and the Velocity/FX/Xaos group?
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

That's as ridiculous as saying "The JVX is just a velo with more cells"

You said that, I did not.

I will not turn this into a debate about the Katana vs Crossfire....

Sure, They are different designs, but how different is the answer.

I have taken both apart, cut new pieces/parts, and put them both back together.

...and I build line sets for both canopies.

So I would say I have a better reference than most, including you.

They are closer than you think and I also was speaking in general terms when I made that statement.

Anyway, I'm stoked to hear such positive things about the JFX (I heard rumblings earlier in the year it was a good canopy).

I believe it was here:

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3870107;search_string=jfx;#3870107

BS,
MEL

Here's a direct link to his only post in the thread:
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=3869879;page=2;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;mh=25;#3875734

So, no it wasn't him (or anyone in that thread).

The canopies fly totally differently despite their physical similarities.

Mel,

You misunderstand my post.

1) I'm addressing your totally inaccurate statement about the Crossfire and Katana being the same canopies except trim. They're in the same CLASS, but they're not the same canopy. Yes, I'm sure they have similarities - which is what I was trying to point out in my response to you. Regardless, this new canopy (I would expect) to be a step up from those two anyway.

2)"just adding" a slink or tinkering with line trims is risky business - and it's not just as simple as you make it out to be without introducing other side effects. Try to remember that people read these forums and will go out and try this stuff so try to be cautious when making those kinds of statements.

3) If you want to keep this side discussion going, feel free to PM me. There's no need to clutter this thread with this stuff. It detracts from the original intent to provide good, solid information on this new canopy.

Blues,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

I'm just guessing here, but I would expect the JFX to compare to the JVX the same way a VX compares to an FX or a XAOS-21 compares to the XAOS-27.

I would expect it to have a little less total performance than the JVX, but I would also expect it to open easier and be less picky about technique. One way or another I'm sure it is a fine canopy.

"Holy s*** that was f***in' cold!"

So, no it wasn't him (or anyone in that thread).

My link was for Ian speaking of hearing about the JFX earlier in the year.

It did have anything to do with anything else.
The link that I posted was off by two posts. I believe that if you look at my earlier post on that thread you will see what I meant to show.

The canopies fly totally differently despite their physical similarities.

I think we are already covered that point.

MEL

1) I'm addressing your totally inaccurate statement about the Crossfire and Katana being the same canopies except trim.

I never said they were the exact same canopy. I have and did say they are BASICALLY the same canopy.
.....the quote was in generally speaking terms.

Like I have already told you, when you take the same basic canopy, add the same basic trim, you get the same basic performance.

2)"just adding" a slink or tinkering with line trims is risky business - and it's not just as simple as you make it out to be without introducing other side effects. Try to remember that people read these forums and will go out and try this stuff so try to be cautious when making those kinds of statements.

Adding a link is a standard practice with regards to trying new line sets, trims and the like.

You correct that there are side effects, but on a canopy with a shallow trim like the Crossfire, the effects are minimal.

Please note that I only said you could do it with a Crossfire also. No other canopies were recommended.

) If you want to keep this side discussion going, feel free to PM me. There's no need to clutter this thread with this stuff. It detracts from the original intent to provide good, solid information on this new canopy

You mean the side discussion that you pulled me into???

Anyway I am through with it also.

BS,
MEL

say they are BASICALLY the same canopy.
.....the quote was in generally speaking terms.

That helps clarify things.

For some of us, if you say, "basically the same canopy" means that it IS the same canopy design, maybe with a different trim, different sewing pattern, a tweak here or there, a different label on the end cell, but 90% the exact same fabric shapes down to the last millimeter of laser cut precision.

So I think some of us took it as you saying that you had proof that PD had directly copied the other canopy. (And not just studied or taken inspiration from the other canopy.) That would be big news.

That's why your statement was getting such close attention.

Basically.

Hi Mel,

I jump a Xfire2 129 now-- It seems the largest JFX they make is a 119.

Would you consider the step from a 129 xfire to a 119 JFX as a good progression or would you consider getting some xbrace experience on a 129 xbrace first as the smarter way to go?

Cheers,

Mike