stayhigh

To get back from far spot under x-brace.

Brakes w/ Big Body Position

FYI - this is a common misconception
It's a weird misconception:S Ok, One's can start skydiving before going to school or just giving no sh** to the Physics but there should be some common sence... If you feel the wind into your face how it's possible of thought of "Big Body for wind pushing in back" to came in mind??
Why drink and drive, if you can smoke and fly?

I can't believe this "act like a sail to get back from a long upwind spot" is still being touted. It is so obviously false, but today I watched Jim Slaton's online canopy webinar where he says EXACTLY this.

http://canopyflightacademy.com/webinars-2/webinar-1/

If even the self-proclaimed canopy gurus are saying this (Luigi Cani also said it in a course I did) what hope is there for us mere mortals?!!
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

They're both wrong :)
We all make mistakes.

I understand, but to perpetuate basic errors in structured teaching which people are paying for is really bad. It makes me wonder what else these "experts" are getting wrong that I am not picking up on.

With all the outcry for more canopy tuition, those who are providing it should really get it right. I guess it all comes down to "buyer beware"...

(PS - I did the Flight-1 basic and advanced courses and found them to be excellent)
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

It makes me wonder what else these "experts" are getting wrong that I am not picking up on.

With all the outcry for more canopy tuition, those who are providing it should really get it right

Hell yeah. Hey, who's in charge of skydiving standardization/regulation/education around here anyway? Shouldn't they be the ones determining who and what should be featured in canopy control courses?

Who ever they are, it would be a hoot if their only response to the problems with canopy control was to 'take a canopy control course'. Sound advice, but it leads me to ask, when, where, and who's teaching it?

Good times, but seriously, who is in charge around here?

Luigi Cani stated in a canopy course 2 years ago "they" had done multiple tests for increasing glide ratios using different methods. The hands down winner was to use 1/4 or so brakes as well as the chest strap loosened, get small etc.
However in listening to students from Luigi's course they had differing opinions about the information and in some cases had it backwards and beleive FRONT risers were to be used!
Needless to say learning ALL your canopy flight parameters is what a course should relate. A recent article in Parachutist speaks about canopy control manuvers to practice in order to wring out all the performance from your wing.
I beleive the increase in death with good canopies overhead is a good reason to fly the crap out of a canopy before making a reasonable downsize selection.
A recent example was an A licence student who purchased a 235 f111 jumped it maybe 50 times now wants to puchase a ZP170.
Slow down, fly that thing!

To me drawing on my limited experience flying planes I know that we as pilots pitch for airspeed, use throttle for altitude, and use flaps for extra lift. Two of those apply to a parachute. To me it seems that using rears is the equivelant of changing the angle of attack of the wing to a higher pitch in relation to the relative wind thereby lowering the airspeed increasing drag and decreasing lift when in straight and level flight (not the same as when rears are used planing out on a swoop). Using the toggles on the other hand would seem to provide greater lift and allow us to travel farther in the upwind long spot situation. I guess I'd have to say I'm more of a toggle guy when it comes to this issue... but I certainly am not claiming to be an expert by any means though.

The wind will pass over the canopy sideways and make it less efficient...

Not to beat the same old dead horse but under canopy, outside of gusts and radical canopy dives, there is no "wind". Wind relates air movement to the ground not to objects equalized to the airstream.
Sometimes you eat the bear..............

The wind will pass over the canopy sideways and make it less efficient...

Not to beat the same old dead horse but under canopy, outside of gusts and radical canopy dives, there is no "wind". Wind relates air movement to the ground not to objects equalized to the airstream.

True. What kind of wind can be mid-air? :S