aykay

Wingloading for work jumps.

What is the highest wingload you would consider for video/aff jumps?

Depends on the size of the plane. In a 182, you could go with anything you want. You'll be the only group exiting, so the spot should be close to home and you'll make it back no problem.

Bigger plane means longer jumprun, and a longer ride home for workers. Most AFFs and tandems (and tandem videos) get out last, so you might be at the end of a long jumprun. AFF students have 250+ sq ft canopies that they open a 5000ft or above, and tandems have even bigger canopies open in the same area, so they have no problem getting back from a long spot. AFF Is and tandem video guys have to wait for the student/tandem to dump before they get to dump, so you'll be limited in how much altitude you have to get home on. Add in another AFF I and possibly a video guy for the AFF, and you have a busy little area down below the student, further limiting your ability to pull 'high'.

Somtimes you can get your tandem to exit as the first tandem, and that helps, and sometimes you can get your AFF first in the AFF line up, but that only works sometimes. There are loads with lots of fun jumpers and one tandem, and you're the video guy, you're out lasty last.

I shot tandem and student video on a Velo 90 at about 2.4 for a season, and landed off more than I would have liked. Even when I made it back, too many times I would just barely get back, and not have the altitude to swoop anyway. Remember that you need to get home at 1000ft up to still be able to set up and throw a good turn. You're obviously jumping at 2.6 for the swoop, so getting over the field at 200 ft leaves you time for a flat turn, brake surge, and flare.

For the past few seasons, I've been on a 103 at about 2.0 (I lost 10 lbs), and generally make it home with time left for a 450. I've got a buddy a little lighter than me who jumps a 90 on AFF jumps, and after borrowing my rig, he wished he had a 103 becasue it made it much easier to get back.

Howvever, there are plenty of guys working under 2.3, or 2.4 and up, so I guess anyting is possible.

Your question reminds me of a PFF dive a couple of years ago.
I was main side and struggling to assist the student in tossing his main pilot chute.
The student opened below 4,000'.
I tracked a little and "saddled out" - under my Stiletto 135 - by 2,000.'
The reserve side instructor was jumping a tiny Velocity and did not "saddle out" until almost 1,000'.
He was afraid of scaring his Cypres and tried to chew me out for pulling low, and - I had to bite my tongue not to respond in kind .
I WANTED to suggest that perhaps he was jumping too slow an opening canopy for PFF.