jraylitt

landing a canopy....

the airspeed will be the same wether your canopy is moving forward or not. Supposing you'r performing a two stage flare, you'll be hovering over the ground for a while. You may not need to finish your flare because vertical and horizontal speeds are already zero, but doing so is good practice to flying your canopy.

You may not need to finish your flare because vertical and horizontal speeds are already zero, but doing so is good practice to flying your canopy.

Not really? If it's a windy day and you "finish" your flare you might well be landing going backwards, which you can do, and I have done, but I don't really recommend it. Like it was noted above, flying and landing a canopy is a dynamic thing. Conditions are ever changing and you need to feel out what is going on around you and adjust what you are doing to that.

I'd also like to suggest that seeking advice on the internet at this stage of your skydiving career is not likely the best method for learning. Track down the knowledgeable people at your dz and learn as much as you can from them, it will help quite a bit.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Congratulations on your A license; the license to learn. Unfortunately nobody can teach you to fly a canopy in dynamic conditions via the internet.

Please seek out and take a basic canopy course whereby qualified canopy pilots will teach you important life saving skills under canopy and evaluate your in-air manuevers and landings.
It's called the Hillbilly Hop N Pop dude.
If you're gonna be stupid, you better be tough.
That's fucked up. Watermelons do not grow on trees! ~Skymama

Simply put, you want your ground speed to be zero when you land. So, in nil wind, you want zero airspeed, and your toggle stroke to achieve this will take you close (but not to) the stall point. If you're landing into 15 mph winds, you want your airspeed to be 15 mph (so groundspeed zero). As a consequence, your toggle stroke may only be to half it was in nil winds.

So, the windier it is, the less toggle input you put in to land.

This is just a quick theoretical demonstration; get some advice on the DZ on how best to land given different wind conditions.
--
BASE #1182
Muff #3573
PFI #52; UK WSI #13