raymod2

toggle transition

Here's a video from a practice run last weekend that shows the canopy pitching *forward* during a rear riser to toggle transition. I'm not sure if it indicates I transitioned too soon or too late but I thought it was interesting because it challenges the conventional wisdom that toggle input only generates lift because it pitches the canopy backwards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2MvjZCdVnQ

It surges forward slightly because your transition from rears to toggles is quite slow and there is a definite gap between rear riser and toggle input. The canopy is returning to its neutral pitch (no rear riser input) before the toggle input takes effect.
Your rear riser input looks a little late and heavy (to a velo pilot, is that a jvx?), and your still turning a little during your rec arc to get on your line.

Dan, I would agree with Matt that it looks like the late transition off rears to toggles is the likely culprit.
I have experienced an identical effect on my Comp 71 if I ride the rears to long or am putting too much input on the canopy entering the gates. Of course, it could be a lack of Cheesy Poofs as well.

LOL, it was a sloppy run. I made a sudden correction just after passing through the gates that visibly and audibly distorted the canopy for a moment. I hadn't considered that it might have had an effect later on during the transition. I also hadn't considered the effect of Cheesy Poof deprivation. I'll have to go to Target and restock my supply.