Wings-n-Things

Any US ski resorts open to speed flyers?

Kevin Love is a guy to talk to about speed flying at ski resorts. He used to do a bit of it and used to be a ski instructor, of course he's a top-notch canopy pilot as well. Call The Farm, ask for him.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Senior Love is the man to contact, however, you will have an exceedingly difficult time finding resorts to fly at as a result of liability insurance. With respect to keeping the lifts going, skiers/riders are currently doing a fine job at most resorts. Correct me if I am wrong but in Europe you require a paragliding rating in order to speed-fly at the resorts that are ok with it. Until there is a recognized/ insured US system in place I believe you are going to continue to face the same issues. If this sport continues to grow in the US someone will see an angle to jump on it and make money but now the numbers are just too small. Coupling the numbers with the rogue behavior exhibited by some of the pilots may make this difficult venture.

Crystal Mountain in Washington has been fine with it for the past few years and has even hosted a couple of demo events... However the preferred run, known as exterminator, will have a gondola going right up the middle of it starting this year. Not sure how that's going to affect things, if they will allow it elsewhere on the mountain or ban it outright...

Most places in europe require a speed flying rating, not a full on PG rating.

switzerland requires you to have a PG - and an additional speedflying-rating; full on! :o
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Out of interest, do you know if foreign ratings are acceptable at the US resorts? Eg, I have a BHPA Pilot (hill) rating on a paraglider, which is equivalent to an IPPI Para Pro stage 4 - I used that to fly my paraglder in Switzerland, for instance.
--
BASE #1182
Muff #3573
PFI #52; UK WSI #13